DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Convert 230v to 110v (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/152256-convert-230v-110v.html)

brendonavoo69 April 6th 06 10:18 AM

Convert 230v to 110v

Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the drill would become 110v?

Cheers

Grunff April 6th 06 11:44 AM

Convert 230v to 110v

brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Yes, you can, but the 230V drill will become a 110V firecracker.

--
Grunff

Richard Conway April 6th 06 01:01 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

I don't know - why don't you try it and let us know how you get on?

PS. Don't.

John Rumm April 6th 06 01:25 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Only if you like the smell of melting plastic!

You need one of these:

Or if it is a really big drill:

Cheers,

John.

[email protected] April 6th 06 01:27 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Would connecting it to a PP9 battery make it a 9V drill?

In what way do you think just changing the plug will change the voltage
of the drill?

MBQ

Sparks April 6th 06 01:45 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

"John Rumm" wrote in message
brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Only if you like the smell of melting plastic!

You need one of these:

Or if it is a really big drill:

I don't think that will help, that converts 240v to 110v - The OP needs the
other way round. The OP has a 240v drill and a 110v supply

The OP needs a step UP transformer like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6613292112
(I am not the seller)

It is probably cheaper the buy another drill though.

Sparks...

gentlegreen April 6th 06 01:52 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

"Grunff" wrote in message
brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Yes, you can, but the 230V drill will become a 110V firecracker.

I wouldn't reccomend this at all.....

..... but years ago a mate of mine had a couple of 110volt drills - he gave
me one and I found a suitable (isolating) transformer for it but it was a
bit under-powered.

He was a mad bugger and did very well running his at 240 volts !

(It was a classic diecast alloy Black and Decker !)

John Rumm April 6th 06 02:00 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

Sparks wrote:

brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

You need one of these:

I don't think that will help, that converts 240v to 110v - The OP needs the
other way round. The OP has a 240v drill and a 110v supply

Yes, well spotted! Sorry was reading what I thought he wrote.

(still at least doing it the way descibed has less potential for
pyrotechnics than sticking 240V into a 110V tool)

The OP needs a step UP transformer like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6613292112
(I am not the seller)

It is probably cheaper the buy another drill though.

You may be able to change the armature on the drill for one with 110V
windings.

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] April 6th 06 02:29 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

NT

Derek ^ April 6th 06 05:43 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:52:27 GMT, "gentlegreen"
wrote:

.... but years ago a mate of mine had a couple of 110volt drills

Just for a minute I wondered if you were going to say ...

"So he connected them in series"

:))

DG

Dave Stanton April 6th 06 06:45 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:18:12 +0100, brendonavoo69 wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

Sorry you missed April 1st by a mile

Dave

Dave H. April 7th 06 02:43 AM

Convert 230v to 110v

wrote in message
ups.com...
brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

Unfortunately, the back-emf in the motor windings is proportional to the
speed, so as it slows down, more current flows, the windings get very hot...
which is how drill motors get burned out. (don't believe me? hold the
trigger in on a stalled drill for a few minutes, smell how hot it gets. Then
buy a new drill).

Hope this helps,
Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

[email protected] April 7th 06 03:33 AM

Convert 230v to 110v

Dave H. wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

Unfortunately, the back-emf in the motor windings is proportional to the
speed, so as it slows down, more current flows, the windings get very hot...
which is how drill motors get burned out. (don't believe me? hold the
trigger in on a stalled drill for a few minutes, smell how hot it gets. Then
buy a new drill).

Hope this helps,
Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

the comparison is not equivalent, and running the motor on lower v will
reduce i, not increase it. Ask news:sci.electronics.design if you wish.

NT

Jim Gregory April 7th 06 09:55 AM

Convert 230v to 110v

If the novel mains is 110V or 115V it is likely it may be alternating at
60Hz, so this 20% increase will influence behaviour of any optimised @50Hz,
step-up 1:2 transformer and of the (nominally 50Hz) drill motor connected to
the boosted voltage.
Jim

[email protected] April 7th 06 12:53 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

Dave H. wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

Unfortunately, the back-emf in the motor windings is proportional to the
speed, so as it slows down, more current flows, the windings get very hot...
which is how drill motors get burned out. (don't believe me? hold the
trigger in on a stalled drill for a few minutes, smell how hot it gets. Then
buy a new drill).

We're not tallking about stalling it. Running on a lower voltage and
hence at a lower speed will not damage a motor, all other things being
equal.

Does DC motor theory applies to AC power tools?

MBQ

Andy Dingley April 7th 06 09:33 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

On 7 Apr 2006 04:53:48 -0700, wrote:

We're not tallking about stalling it. Running on a lower voltage and
hence at a lower speed will not damage a motor, all other things being
equal.

"All other things being equal", then yes. But the ratio of excess heat
to power output goes up somewhere between twice and 4 times (linear to
square law, depending on what the limiting factor of the drill design
is). As most hand-held power tools already run quite hot to keep their
size and weight down, you're either at risk of cooking the drill, or you
have to limit it to a far less powerful output..

Does DC motor theory applies to AC power tools?

Yes, except that you obviously have to allow for frequency effects too.
There are no DC motors - if you expect it to rotate, then you have to
make a rotating field somehow, either by powering static windings with
AC or by chopping DC through a commutator. The current in at least some
of those windings always has an AC component.

Andy Dingley April 7th 06 09:34 PM

Convert 230v to 110v

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:55:26 GMT, "Jim Gregory"
wrote:

If the novel mains is 110V or 115V it is likely it may be alternating at
60Hz, so this 20% increase will influence behaviour of any optimised @50Hz,
step-up 1:2 transformer and of the (nominally 50Hz) drill motor connected to
the boosted voltage.

Univeral / brushed motor designs (every drill) won't care.

The magnetic effciency boost between 50Hz and 60Hz is minuscule
(although real).

[email protected] April 8th 06 02:42 AM

Convert 230v to 110v

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 7 Apr 2006 04:53:48 -0700, wrote:

We're not tallking about stalling it. Running on a lower voltage and
hence at a lower speed will not damage a motor, all other things being
equal.

"All other things being equal", then yes. But the ratio of excess heat
to power output goes up somewhere between twice and 4 times (linear to
square law, depending on what the limiting factor of the drill design
is). As most hand-held power tools already run quite hot to keep their
size and weight down, you're either at risk of cooking the drill, or you
have to limit it to a far less powerful output..

Ac fans are routinely speed controlled, and just like drill motors
theyre cooled by their own blades. Fan motors stay close to the same
temp over a wide v range.

NT