Posted to uk.d-i-y
Organoman

Default Moving Exisitng Gas Meter : Advice Sought

Hi,

How feasible would it be to get a gas meter moved? My current gas meter
is on the side of the house. This is the only position that I could
erect a garage. There is also the flue for the gas boiler above the meter.

1) Could I build the garage around the meter? I'm guessing probably not.

2) Would it be a very expensive job to get the meter moved round to the
front/back of the house?

3) I imagine having the flue rerouted wouldn't be a major headache. Is
this the case?

Diagram:

back of houses

+=====+=====+
| | |G G
| | |M G
+=====+=====+G G

front of houses

M = Gas meter.
G = Where garage would go.

The right hand house is my house.

TIA.

--
Organoman.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:03:55 GMT, Organoman wrote:

1) Could I build the garage around the meter?

No reason why not, but the flue is a different matter.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

1) Could I build the garage around the meter? I'm guessing probably not.

This might actually be possible, although they do prefer them outdoors so
they can read them easier.

2) Would it be a very expensive job to get the meter moved round to the
front/back of the house?

Probably.

3) I imagine having the flue rerouted wouldn't be a major headache. Is
this the case?

Depends on the boiler and availability of parts. What is the make and model?
Is it open flued, balanced or fanned?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Organoman

Christian McArdle wrote:

Depends on the boiler and availability of parts. What is the make and model?
Is it open flued, balanced or fanned?

Christian.

It's an old Apollo boiler, as described a few threads earlier. I've no
idea whether it's open or balanced, and I'm fairly sure it's not fanned.

--
Organoman.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Organoman contains these words:

1) Could I build the garage around the meter? I'm guessing probably not.

Can't see why not.

3) I imagine having the flue rerouted wouldn't be a major headache. Is
this the case?

Not always - you may be able to have a vertical flue from the old
terminal to one of the garage roof.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Organoman" wrote in message
Hi,

How feasible would it be to get a gas meter moved? My current gas meter is
on the side of the house. This is the only position that I could erect a
garage. There is also the flue for the gas boiler above the meter.

1) Could I build the garage around the meter? I'm guessing probably not.

The current rules, at least in my area, are that meters should be outside,
to reduce the risk of gas explosions.

2) Would it be a very expensive job to get the meter moved round to the
front/back of the house?

The only people who can tell you that would be your gas supplier. The site
would need to be surveyed and the job priced on that. I would guess it would
cost a few hundred pounds.

3) I imagine having the flue rerouted wouldn't be a major headache. Is
this the case?

If you can find the installation instructions, which may be online or in the
manufacturer's literature if you don't have the originals, those will show
what layouts are permitted. Data sheets I have vary from 6m maximum flue
length to 27m, depending upon things like the boiler make and type, whether
the flue is horizontal or vertical, the flue diameter and whether or not a
powered flue is used. There are also limitations on the position of the flue
outlet relative to other building components, such as corners, windows etc.

Colin Bignell