DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Grundfos UPS 15-60 pump - VIBRATION (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/151861-grundfos-ups-15-60-pump-vibration.html)

mtagrant April 3rd 06 01:29 PM

Grundfos UPS 15-60 pump - VIBRATION

When operating the above pump vibrates and of course the attached pipes
also vibrate.As a result there is an overall background "hum" in the
house.
Is this normal or is there a problem with the pump?

john2 April 3rd 06 06:30 PM

mtagrant wrote:
When operating the above pump vibrates and of course the attached pipes
also vibrate.As a result there is an overall background "hum" in the
house.
Is this normal or is there a problem with the pump?

Mine vibrates from time to time, but it stopped for a few years after
descaling the system. I think a build up of lime scale on the rotor has
unbalanced it again.

john2

mtagrant April 4th 06 10:21 AM

Grundfos UPS 15-60 pump - VIBRATION

Thanks.....was the descaling difficult and something you need a
professional in to do, or can most people do it themselves?

john2 April 5th 06 10:24 AM

mtagrant wrote:
Thanks.....was the descaling difficult and something you need a
professional in to do, or can most people do it themselves?

I drained the whole system and just did the boiler with Furnox abt 14
years ago which took around ten boiler-fulls of concentrated solution.
The Furnox residue in the boiler probably cleared the rest of the system
when it was refilled. I think they only do whole-system descaler these
days which should be even better for the pump.

The water in this part of Essex is extremely hard. Tap spouts get
completely choked after ten years, so your problem might be something
else if the water's not so hard. You could always take the pump off and
have a look.

john2