Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricia

Default laminate in bathroom

Hi the time has come for hubby to redo the bathroom and he has suggested
laminate for the floor, as he is getting old and thinks it will be easier to
wipe up drips? round the toilet. Present floor covering is carpet. However I
am a bit wary as to it becoming slippy when stepping out of the bath. Does
bathroom grade laminate become slippy when wet?
Thanks Tricia

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Tricia wrote:
Hi the time has come for hubby to redo the bathroom and he has
suggested laminate for the floor, as he is getting old and thinks it
will be easier to wipe up drips? round the toilet. Present floor
covering is carpet. However I am a bit wary as to it becoming slippy
when stepping out of the bath. Does bathroom grade laminate become
slippy when wet?

Depends on the finish, you can get laminates with a textured surface.

Fitting laminate in a bathroom is a bugger of a job, loads of cutting around
pipes etc. Don't buy the click together type where you have to lift one
edge to click the joint in - get the type that clicks in when flat.

I reckon its quicker & easier sometimes to actually remove the WC bowl and
basin pedestal rather than cut round them - also gives a much better finish
and no potential water ingress.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Tricia wrote:
Hi the time has come for hubby to redo the bathroom and he has
suggested laminate for the floor, as he is getting old and thinks it
will be easier to wipe up drips? round the toilet. Present floor
covering is carpet. However I am a bit wary as to it becoming slippy
when stepping out of the bath. Does bathroom grade laminate become
slippy when wet?

Depends on the finish, you can get laminates with a textured surface.

Fitting laminate in a bathroom is a bugger of a job, loads of cutting around
pipes etc. Don't buy the click together type where you have to lift one
edge to click the joint in - get the type that clicks in when flat.

I reckon its quicker & easier sometimes to actually remove the WC bowl and
basin pedestal rather than cut round them - also gives a much better finish
and no potential water ingress.

Another lateral approach is to use those rubber backed bathmats..and
wash the drips out once a week (cold wash only)

I hate carpet in bathrooms. We have gone 'all tiled'..fine with enough
central heating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 10:23:10 GMT, "Tricia"
wrote:

Hi the time has come for hubby to redo the bathroom and he has suggested
laminate for the floor, as he is getting old and thinks it will be easier to
wipe up drips? round the toilet. Present floor covering is carpet. However I
am a bit wary as to it becoming slippy when stepping out of the bath. Does
bathroom grade laminate become slippy when wet?
Thanks Tricia

Have you got decent floorboards .can you get them sanded and lacquered
..??

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Johnson

wrote:

Hi the time has come for hubby to redo the bathroom and he has suggested
laminate for the floor, as he is getting old and thinks it will be easier to
wipe up drips? round the toilet. Present floor covering is carpet. However I
am a bit wary as to it becoming slippy when stepping out of the bath. Does
bathroom grade laminate become slippy when wet?

Consider using 'real' timber instead of laminate. Unless it's properly
sealed laminate will delaminate if/when it gets wet. I forget the make
I used a couple of years ago but it's solid timber, like a modern
version of tongue and groove. It may cost a bit more than laminate but
as most bathrooms aren't that large the extra cost is not that much.
(And I agree with the point about getting it under the WC, much
better, whatever you use.)