Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

Default 20mm PVC electric conduit Capacity

I am going to install a ring main in my back room, and will be laying
the 2.5mm cabling in PVC conduit. Can I fit both 2.5mm t&e in one 20mm
PVC conduit, and will there be any room for a 1.5mm lighting cable, or
will I have to use 2 lengths of 20mm conduit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:1f2ccc7899dca5009dc42c3c4872d8c1.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
I am going to install a ring main in my back room, and will be laying
the 2.5mm cabling in PVC conduit. Can I fit both 2.5mm t&e in one 20mm
PVC conduit, and will there be any room for a 1.5mm lighting cable, or
will I have to use 2 lengths of 20mm conduit?

You will need to run two tubes if the cable is twin and earth.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I am going to install a ring main in my back room, and will be laying
the 2.5mm cabling in PVC conduit. Can I fit both 2.5mm t&e in one 20mm
PVC conduit, and will there be any room for a 1.5mm lighting cable, or
will I have to use 2 lengths of 20mm conduit?

What conduit are you using? Sounds like the round section stuff like
this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20.html That is intended
to take non-sheathed wires, ie you run the live, neutral and earth wires
separately - you'll have a hell of a job trying to stuff all your
sheathed cables down there.

Can you describe your application - are you wanting surface-mounted
wiring rather than (eg) burying it under plaster? If so, trunking is
the stuff - something like:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMIN3.html

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Lawrence Zarb wrote:

Can I fit both 2.5mm t&e in one 20mm
PVC conduit

Yes you can, but it'll be "interesting" getting it through any
inspection elbows/tees without kinking/scuffing it.

and will there be any room for a 1.5mm lighting cable

I don't think you'll get away with that
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Lawrence Zarb wrote:

I am going to install a ring main in my back room, and will be laying
the 2.5mm cabling in PVC conduit. Can I fit both 2.5mm t&e in one 20mm
PVC conduit,

Just about for short runs. Corners and Tees will be difficult though.

and will there be any room for a 1.5mm lighting cable,

No chance!

will I have to use 2 lengths of 20mm conduit?

Conduit is really designed for "singles" - not PVC clad cable.

What are you trying to achieve?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

I have a 2in perimeter trench around the floor to lay the cable in, and
will fill the trench with concrete once the cable is laid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I have a 2in perimeter trench around the floor to lay the cable in, and
will fill the trench with concrete once the cable is laid

I pity the poor bugger who is going to rewire that in 20 yrs

P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:cac52b3098f513f5300872ff277b86ae.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
I have a 2in perimeter trench around the floor to lay the cable in, and
will fill the trench with concrete once the cable is laid

Then you would be better off using ducting designed for burying in concrete
floors. It would make rewiring much easier at a later date too. Your local
electrical wholesaler should be able to supply it.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I have a 2in perimeter trench around the floor to lay the cable in, and
will fill the trench with concrete once the cable is laid

I would be tempted to use the absolute maximum size of conduit I could
get in.
32mm PP drain pipe is cheap and works well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 13:56:15 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "Lawrence
Zarb" wrote this:-

I have a 2in perimeter trench around the floor to lay the cable in, and
will fill the trench with concrete once the cable is laid

Why not do it properly, with suitably sized conduit or trunking?
This would have inspection hatches where appropriate (certainly at
the corners and where the junctions for the sockets are) and draw
strings. Given that you will have mechanical protection up to the
sockets why not wire the circuits with singles, rather then twin &
earth? Then it can be extended and new circuits added with ease.

Is the lighting circuit just passing through the room?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I have a 2in perimeter trench around the floor to lay the cable in, and
will fill the trench with concrete once the cable is laid

I pity the poor bugger who is going to rewire that in 20 yrs

P.

You can go a lot longer than 20 years between rewires. I fell sorry for the
poor buggers who will have to rewire the chipboard floored houses that they
throw up now.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I have a 2in perimeter trench around the floor to lay the cable in, and
will fill the trench with concrete once the cable is laid

I would be tempted to use the absolute maximum size of conduit I could
get in.
32mm PP drain pipe is cheap and works well.

And is not a safe practice

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

However, I had 100m of T&E and 0m of singles.

And no Stanley knife?! :-)

Yes Stanley knife. No insulated earth cable, just CPC which is no good!

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Christian McArdle wrote:
However, I had 100m of T&E and 0m of singles.

And no Stanley knife?! :-)

Yes Stanley knife. No insulated earth cable, just CPC which is no good!

Ah, true! (But you can buy 3mm earth sleeving for 2GBP per kilometre
from Screwfix: wonder if that would be allowed? Although making diy
insulated earth cable would almost be as much fun as stuffing T&E down
conduit...