DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Soldering close joints (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1515-soldering-close-joints.html)

mike ring August 29th 03 08:15 PM

Soldering close joints

I just finished upgrading and adding radiators, but had one leaky joint.

I was worried about it, as there was a yorkshire tee, with a very short
stub to an obtuse elbow endfeed, giving 5 joints close together to be
soldered at once, or if not at once maybe there's a danger of messing up
the other part of the branch; a horizontal section of the tee failed.

Bugrit.

I can't use a bend, the radius is too tight - the situation is a spur up to
a radiator from a horizontal run that doesn't line up vertically.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to tackle this so I don't fail again?

Should I make the angled spur, and then sweat it on to the horizontal pipe,
or will this endanger joints already soldered, or should I assemble the
whole lot and solder it all up in one hit, which is what I've just done?
If so, is there any order, should I start at the top and work down, or at
the bottom and work up - about 3 inches will cover the whole assembly?

I'd be grateful for any advice to help me get it right this time

mike r

Olav Marjasoo August 30th 03 11:49 AM

Soldering close joints

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:15:15 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

[...]

Drape cold water soaked cloth/s over the finished joints adjecent to
where you are working NOW.
--
Olav Marjasoo
Overlooking the Clyde, West Coast of Scotland

mike ring August 30th 03 06:18 PM

Soldering close joints

(Olav Marjasoo) wrote in
:

Drape cold water soaked cloth/s over the finished joints adjecent to
where you are working NOW.
--
Olav Marjasoo
Overlooking the Clyde, West Coast of Scotland

Thank you Olav, I've tried that, and now got watertight pipework and
radiators that get hot.

That's it for plumbimg for this year (I sincerely hope)

Mike r