Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cuprager

Default how difficult is it to...

Fit your own double glazing?

I want to replace the 3 aging windows that make up a bay window in my
living room. The room is in a flat and is one up... for this reason I
would like to know if it is possible to do the job myself and from
INSIDE the flat. I presume that I would need to have windows made to my
spec and that they come with the glazing removed. Questions that spring
to mind...

Will the glazing be fitted from inside or outside?
How do you measure up for the windows?
Can I get brown upvc on the outside and white on the inside?
Rough cost for windows (1x 1.5x1.5 m & 2x 1.5x0.75 m)

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Cuprager" wrote:
Fit your own double glazing?

I want to replace the 3 aging windows that make up a bay window in my
living room. The room is in a flat and is one up... for this reason I
would like to know if it is possible to do the job myself and from INSIDE
the flat. I presume that I would need to have windows made to my spec and
that they come with the glazing removed. Questions that spring to mind...

Will the glazing be fitted from inside or outside?
How do you measure up for the windows?
Can I get brown upvc on the outside and white on the inside?
Rough cost for windows (1x 1.5x1.5 m & 2x 1.5x0.75 m)

TIA

It may be possible to remove and replace from the inside but outside access
will be needed to apply weatherproof frame sealant and any upvc profiles. If
the existing frames are load bearing (supporting the roof above the bay
window) then you will need to fit roof supports before you remove the old
frames, and the new frames will need to incorporate supporting plinths. But
if there are two brick pillars separating the 3 bay windows this will not be
necessary. Are the original windows box sash, or are box sash frames in
place and holding later wooden replacement frames? You could take drawings
of the existing windows and associated masonry to a firm that makes double
glazing windows for self-fitting. They will advise you and answer your
questions. The installation must meet FENSA regulations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cuprager

Phil Anthropist wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote:
[...]

Cheers for the reply.

The flat is a 1900's tenement style in sandstone. There are sandstone
mulleins that bear the weight of the roof structure above. The house
would have had sash windows originally but there are the awfull
aluminium double glazed units in there now.

I thought that you could do all of the caulking on the outside from the
inside before fitting the glazing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cuprager wrote:
The flat is a 1900's tenement style in sandstone. There are sandstone
mulleins that bear the weight of the roof structure above. The house
would have had sash windows originally but there are the awfull
aluminium double glazed units in there now.

I thought that you could do all of the caulking on the outside from the
inside before fitting the glazing?

So long as you don't fall out!

Discussion on another recent thread implies that fitting the glazing
from inside is not as common as it was. If you have to glaze from
outside and every window has an opener then it might be possible to
glaze that first and then use the opening to glaze the other pane. At
least two people and some large suction cups might be useful.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
snip

Discussion on another recent thread implies that fitting the glazing
from inside is not as common as it was. If you have to glaze from
outside and every window has an opener then it might be possible to
glaze that first and then use the opening to glaze the other pane. At
least two people and some large suction cups might be useful.

MBQ

One of these:

MBQ

====================
I think that fitting glass from inside with a solid bead outside and a
removable one inside is the preferred method from a security point of view.
I fitted all mine from inside like this without any problems.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Cuprager wrote:

snip

How difficult is it to post correctly? Why should everyone have to
download and read your post just to find out what it's about? Is it
really *so* hard to come up with a descriptive title?

--
Grunff