Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Default Prettier leccy junction boxes

OK - so - after a rather hasty partial re-wire (why we did the kitchen i'll
never know but at least it uncovered the seriously botched electrics) - we
have one socket on a spur off the ring. The cable to it passes under two
rooms floors - then comes down to a junction box (round bakelite one) on the
wall - then frmo there down to the socket.

SWMBO would like something prettier - as everywhere else in the house is MK
White logic plus switches/sockets etc - so she'd like something where there
aren't holes in the sides that look ugly and it isn't painted over ;-)
(previous owner not me!!)

Any suggestions? I could do with something like a 1G junction box in the
shape of a standard patress or something similar to placate her wishes!!

Cheers
dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:14:23 UTC, "Dan delaMare-Lyon"
wrote:

OK - so - after a rather hasty partial re-wire (why we did the kitchen i'll
never know but at least it uncovered the seriously botched electrics) - we
have one socket on a spur off the ring. The cable to it passes under two
rooms floors - then comes down to a junction box (round bakelite one) on the
wall - then frmo there down to the socket.

SWMBO would like something prettier - as everywhere else in the house is MK
White logic plus switches/sockets etc - so she'd like something where there
aren't holes in the sides that look ugly and it isn't painted over ;-)
(previous owner not me!!)

Any suggestions? I could do with something like a 1G junction box in the
shape of a standard patress or something similar to placate her wishes!!

MK used to do a white rectangular (not square) surface box. Haven't seen
them recently but you could try an electrical factor's.

You can get white round ones.

Or get a smallish round one and put it inside a blank box...!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
MK used to do a white rectangular (not square) surface box. Haven't seen
them recently but you could try an electrical factor's.

Hmm I'll take a look - ta!

You can get white round ones.

Yees - still ugly - she wants something "pretty" to not look out of place.

Or get a smallish round one and put it inside a blank box...!

Cunning - like it

Thanks
Dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

Quick follow up:

MK used to do a white rectangular (not square) surface

box. Haven't seen
them recently but you could try an electrical factor's.

They still do them!

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...2&rangeid=1002

Cheers
Dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White

"Dan delaMare-Lyon" wrote:

SWMBO would like something prettier - as everywhere else in the house is MK
White logic plus switches/sockets etc - so she'd like something where there
aren't holes in the sides that look ugly and it isn't painted over ;-)
(previous owner not me!!)

Any suggestions? I could do with something like a 1G junction box in the
shape of a standard patress or something similar to placate her wishes!!

You could use a single pattress and blanking plate with suitable
terminal blocks.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:

OK - so - after a rather hasty partial re-wire (why we did the kitchen i'll
never know but at least it uncovered the seriously botched electrics) - we
have one socket on a spur off the ring. The cable to it passes under two
rooms floors - then comes down to a junction box (round bakelite one) on the
wall - then frmo there down to the socket.

SWMBO would like something prettier - as everywhere else in the house is MK
White logic plus switches/sockets etc - so she'd like something where there
aren't holes in the sides that look ugly and it isn't painted over ;-)
(previous owner not me!!)

Any suggestions? I could do with something like a 1G junction box in the
shape of a standard patress or something similar to placate her wishes!!

Is the cable surface mounted or buried in the wall?

It sounds like from your description as if all the JB is doing is
joining two wires. If this is the case and the cable is buried in the
wall you can do away with the JB altogether.

Simply use crimps[1] to join the wires, cocoon everything in heat
shrink, and plaster over it.

[1] don't use a screw terminal block for the join if you are going to
hide it by plastering over it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"Lobster" wrote in message
If it's really a bakelite box then that implies it's pretty old, which
begs the question what sort of cable is running into it? Sounds like
there's a good chance it might be old rubber-insulated stuff rather
than PVC, and if that's the case you *really* shouldn't be messing with
it as it's likely to be unsafe... least of all if you're doing it for
purely cosmetic reasons.

OK - it looks like bakelite but is the 80's eq of it. When the re-wire was
done it was re-used (not the rewire we just did I might add). The sparky
checked it all and it's fine - just about as aesthetical pleasing as
something Tracy Emin might create - thus the desire for something newer.
Cabling is all 10 yrs old and has all just been full inspected as we had to
work out htf the house was wired

Cheers
Dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Is the cable surface mounted or buried in the wall?

It sounds like from your description as if all the JB is doing is joining
two wires. If this is the case and the cable is buried in the wall you can
do away with the JB altogether.

Simply use crimps[1] to join the wires, cocoon everything in heat shrink,
and plaster over it.

[1] don't use a screw terminal block for the join if you are going to hide
it by plastering over it.

Surface mounted - but I may sink it now I've read your suggestion

Cheers John!

Thanks
dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

If it's really a bakelite box then that implies it's pretty old, which
begs the question what sort of cable is running into it? Sounds like
there's a good chance it might be old rubber-insulated stuff rather
than PVC, and if that's the case you *really* shouldn't be messing with
it as it's likely to be unsafe... least of all if you're doing it for
purely cosmetic reasons.

I believe todays white mains plugs are stil made of bakelite, ditto the
brown junction boxes.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

AFAIK 'real' bakelite hasn't been used in earnest for donkey's years.
Can't quickly find Google evidence to back that up, so happy to be
proved wrong though!

IIRC they are made from a urea formaldehyde theromoset of some
description these days. (partly why they smell so unpleasant when you
overheat them!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

I had a quick google but didnt find anything. Burning a bit of plug
plastic might tell something, bakelite smells of urea when burnt.

That sounds more like the modern thermosets that Bakelite which was a
phenolic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Is the cable surface mounted or buried in the wall?

It sounds like from your description as if all the JB is doing is joining
two wires. If this is the case and the cable is buried in the wall you can
do away with the JB altogether.

Simply use crimps[1] to join the wires, cocoon everything in heat shrink,
and plaster over it.

[1] don't use a screw terminal block for the join if you are going to hide
it by plastering over it.

Surface mounted - but I may sink it now I've read your suggestion

Cheers John!

Thanks
dan.

Bear in mind that if you do you will have to make sure the cable runs in
permitted zones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

I had a quick google but didnt find anything. Burning a bit of plug
plastic might tell something, bakelite smells of urea when burnt.

That sounds more like the modern thermosets that Bakelite which was a
phenolic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

from which...

"An exception to the overall decline [in bakelite manufacturing] is the
use in small precision-shaped components where their specific
properties are required, such as molded disc brake cylinders, saucepan
handles, electrical plugs and switches, and electrical iron parts."

NT