Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flaking and blistering masonry paint.

Hi guys. i painted my window sills with sandtex masonry paint on my
window sills. Now it has flaked and just peeled off. Why is this? I
did paint over gloss, but should this have affected it?

Thought i'd go for the good stuff, but looks like i wasted my money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

lavenders19 wrote:
Hi guys. i painted my window sills with sandtex masonry paint on my
window sills. Now it has flaked and just peeled off. Why is this? I
did paint over gloss, but should this have affected it?

It's probably because the sills are made of concrete (or stone) and
are damp to some slight extent. The moisture in the material will
blister the paint as it tries to escape. You might do better to
strip the sills entirely, and re-do with a "breathable" paint
(Sandtex ultra smooth, for instance).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ok guys, seens like i need to remove the gloss paint first. How do i go
about this... will nitromors paint stripper do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
lavenders19 wrote:
Hi guys. i painted my window sills with sandtex masonry paint on my
window sills. Now it has flaked and just peeled off. Why is this? I
did paint over gloss, but should this have affected it?

It's probably because the sills are made of concrete (or stone) and
are damp to some slight extent. The moisture in the material will
blister the paint as it tries to escape. You might do better to
strip the sills entirely, and re-do with a "breathable" paint
(Sandtex ultra smooth, for instance).

Another good trick is to use a watershield type coating before painting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think my best bet will be to 1)use a wite brush to remove as much of
the flaking paint as possible.
2) Paint the sill with "external grade, oil-based undercoat paint"
3) Repaint with masonry paint

Only one question. Where do i get this "external grade, oil-based
undercoat paint" from and does it have a more common name. Isn't
exterior gloss external grade, oil based paint. How would it being
undercoat, rather than topcoat affect it?