Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buffer tanks and wood pellet

I am buying a wood pellet boiler and want to have mains pressure hot
water. I have been told that with type of boiler you need a buffer
tank so that the boiler will not cycle. I am also putting in
underfloor heating and solar panels. What is the best type of tank?
Is it better to have a buffer tank and a seperate DHW tank or is one
tank like the DPS thermal heat bank GXV enough. www.heatweb.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

wrote:
I am buying a wood pellet boiler and want to have mains pressure hot
water. I have been told that with type of boiler you need a buffer
tank so that the boiler will not cycle. I am also putting in
underfloor heating and solar panels. What is the best type of tank?
Is it better to have a buffer tank and a seperate DHW tank or is one
tank like the DPS thermal heat bank GXV enough.
www.heatweb.com

You only need a buffer tank if you're using a conventional cylinder,
where the boiler heats the hot water cylinder via a coil.

If you use a heat bank/thermal store, it will work great without one -
in fact, that arrangement is far better suited to this type of boiler.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 22 Mar 2006 08:49:59 -0800 someone who may be
" wrote this:-

I am buying a wood pellet boiler and want to have mains pressure hot
water. I have been told that with type of boiler you need a buffer
tank so that the boiler will not cycle.

Wood burners do not run at a constant temperature and cannot be
turned off in an instant like a gas boiler, thus there needs to be
something able to absorb the variable heat it produces. It is gas
and oil boilers that cycle and this is a problem as it wears the
boiler out more quickly.

I am also putting in
underfloor heating and solar panels.

A heat bank is ideal for this application. It will absorb the heat
from the wood burner and solar panels, which it will convert into
instant hot water at mains pressure and water at the best
temperature for underfloor heating. It will also provide water at
the best temperature for radiators if you have any rooms where
underfloor heating is not the best option.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh