DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   waterproofing and indoor wooden window (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/149280-waterproofing-indoor-wooden-window.html)

[email protected] March 15th 06 11:48 PM

waterproofing and indoor wooden window

I need to waterproof a wooden sash window in the bathroom, to protect
it from the shower.

It's already had a coat of oil paint, but from past experience that
won't be enough in the long term.

I was thinking of applying 3 coats of Rustins Yacht Varnish. This does
have the disadvantage of gradually discolouring over time, but would I
imagine otherwise do the trick.

Does anyone have any comments on my plan, or suggestions for
alternatives (I'm not interested in changing the window, or resiting
the shower)?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Weatherlawyer March 16th 06 05:12 AM

wrote:
I need to waterproof a wooden sash window in the bathroom, to protect
it from the shower.

Does anyone have any comments on my plan, or suggestions for
alternatives (I'm not interested in changing the window, or resiting
the shower)?

Install a fan or open the window.

Lobster March 16th 06 07:59 AM

wrote:
Does anyone have any comments on my plan, or suggestions for
alternatives (I'm not interested in changing the window, or resiting
the shower)?

How wet is it getting? Splashing or soaking? I'd have thought a
solution which avoids it getting wet would be preferable.

Shower curtain (yeuch) in front of it?

David

Guy King March 16th 06 01:23 PM

waterproofing and indoor wooden window

The message .com
from " contains these words:

I need to waterproof a wooden sash window in the bathroom, to protect
it from the shower.

Couldn't you run the shower curtain a bit further round?

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Chris Hodges March 16th 06 05:37 PM

wrote:
I need to waterproof a wooden sash window in the bathroom, to protect
it from the shower.

It's already had a coat of oil paint, but from past experience that
won't be enough in the long term.

I was thinking of applying 3 coats of Rustins Yacht Varnish. This does
have the disadvantage of gradually discolouring over time, but would I
imagine otherwise do the trick.

Does anyone have any comments on my plan, or suggestions for
alternatives (I'm not interested in changing the window, or resiting
the shower)?

Exterior gloss, several coats, and seal the edges - ideally overlap the
paint onto the surround (by less than the width of the sealant you'll
apply afterwards).

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

chris French March 17th 06 11:04 AM

waterproofing and indoor wooden window

In message .com,
" writes
I need to waterproof a wooden sash window in the bathroom, to protect
it from the shower.

It's already had a coat of oil paint, but from past experience that
won't be enough in the long term.

I was thinking of applying 3 coats of Rustins Yacht Varnish. This does
have the disadvantage of gradually discolouring over time, but would I
imagine otherwise do the trick.

Does anyone have any comments on my plan, or suggestions for
alternatives (I'm not interested in changing the window, or resiting
the shower)?

does the window protrude into the shower, or is recessed into the wall?

In our old house we had a small louvered window (used to be the toilet)
that was recessed into the wall (flush with the outside) I fitted a
piece of frosted glass in the recess - set back so as to leave ledge. I
made a frame of aluminium angle and then set the glass in this using
silicone sealant. The was enough ventilation from the louvres to prevent
any condensation/mould etc. in the gap between the windows.
--
Chris French