DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Batten Spacing For Plasterboard (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/148906-batten-spacing-plasterboard.html)

Stuart March 13th 06 05:43 PM

Batten Spacing For Plasterboard

I'm using 2400 x 1200 12.5 Gyproc to board my bathroom walls on to
battens screwed to the walls. Should the vertical ones be at 400mm
centres or would 600 mm be ok.??

Stuart

Christian McArdle March 13th 06 06:02 PM

Batten Spacing For Plasterboard

I'm using 2400 x 1200 12.5 Gyproc to board my bathroom walls on to
battens screwed to the walls. Should the vertical ones be at 400mm
centres or would 600 mm be ok.??

Personally, I would use 400mm in case someone leans against the wall,
especially if the wall is tiled, or in a frequently trafficed area (i.e.
where people are squeezing past each other). Switch to 12mm WBP ply round
the shower area.

Christian.

Stuart March 13th 06 06:23 PM

Batten Spacing For Plasterboard

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:02:12 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I'm using 2400 x 1200 12.5 Gyproc to board my bathroom walls on to
battens screwed to the walls. Should the vertical ones be at 400mm
centres or would 600 mm be ok.??

Personally, I would use 400mm in case someone leans against the wall,
especially if the wall is tiled, or in a frequently trafficed area (i.e.
where people are squeezing past each other). Switch to 12mm WBP ply round
the shower area.

Christian.

Thx Christian ......400 it is ...It's not a busy bathroom but it is
narrow and it's just me here but I can be a bit clumsy at times ..lol

I'm going to use Aquapanel for the tiled area round the bath / shower.

Stuart

Christian McArdle March 13th 06 06:32 PM

Batten Spacing For Plasterboard

I'm going to use Aquapanel for the tiled area round the bath / shower.

Yes, that's good stuff too.

Christian.

Stuart March 13th 06 10:34 PM

Batten Spacing For Plasterboard

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:32:48 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I'm going to use Aquapanel for the tiled area round the bath / shower.

Yes, that's good stuff too.

Christian.

I should have asked .Do I need horizontal battens at the midway point
as well or will the vertical ones suffice .?

Stuart

[email protected] March 13th 06 11:33 PM

wrote:

I'm going to use Aquapanel for the tiled area round the bath / shower.

Yes, that's good stuff too.

Christian.

I should have asked .Do I need horizontal battens at the midway point
as well or will the vertical ones suffice .?

Stuart

The thing with framing is you can do what you want, and the results
vary widely. At one extreme, 2x2 uprights at 2' centres will make a
wall, but plaster will pop cos it flexes too much, and it'll be as
soundproof as paper. 2x4 every 16" plus noggins would be a very solid
wall. You can go wherever you want between the 2.

Noggins, they stiffen the wall up, make it more destructionproof,
reduce sound transmission, and make it possible to attach things
without them falling off. I'd always fit them, but you'll do what you
want.

Rockwool or similar also helps with sound resistance on interior walls
and insulation on exterior.

NT