DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Zanussi washer dryer - repair or replace? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/148857-zanussi-washer-dryer-repair-replace.html)

[email protected] March 13th 06 10:57 AM

Zanussi washer dryer - repair or replace?

Hi

My zannusi washer/dryer I bought in 1998 for about £500. The dryer
stopped working a long time ago but did not use it too often so was not
too concerned. The washer cycle has took a long time for a while now,
I kept having to push it round manually to spin etc. Now the dial is
clearly stiff and not moving round properly. This means I am
struggling to get it to finish and when I eventually get the clothees
out they are wet and need hand wringing. Is this likely to be a cheap
repair or should I consider buying a new machine? I live in
Stockport/Manchester area if anyone can recommend a repairer.

Thanks for any advice.
Colin

Guy King March 13th 06 11:15 AM

Zanussi washer dryer - repair or replace?

The message .com
from contains these words:

The washer cycle has took a long time for a while now,
I kept having to push it round manually to spin etc. Now the dial is
clearly stiff and not moving round properly.

Sometimes the timer will not advance until the stage it's on has been
completed. If you've got a blocked pump, for example, some models won't
advance to spin till the water level's low enough. If it can't get low
enough 'cos it's blocked it'll not advance.

I'd check two things first - the pump and the connection to the level sensor.

The pump's pretty obvious, it's the thing with two wires and two pipes -
one from the bottom of the drum, the other leading out of the casing to
the waste pipe.

The level sensor is usually a thing the size of a round tobacco tin and
looks like this
http://shop.ezee-fix.co.uk/Spare_Par...witch_991.html

The thin pipe that leads to it will run eventually to somewhere near the
bottom of the drum - but will usually go through a wider pipe first -
this sometimes gets blocked with scum[1]. Cleaning it out so the sensor
can detect the level properly may help.

[1] Remember to take chavs out of your pockets before washing.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Nigel Molesworth March 13th 06 12:25 PM

On 13 Mar 2006 02:57:21 -0800, wrote:

My zannusi washer/dryer I bought in 1998 for about £500.

Been reading "Which?" magazine? Save yourself a fortune, cancel your
subscription. Try this experiment: read a review about an item you
know something about. Total ******** right? Now extrapolate.

When buying a washing machine you should either buy an AEG, or the
cheapest one you can find. Both will cost the same in the long run.

--
Nigel M

Richard A Downing March 13th 06 12:48 PM

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On 13 Mar 2006 02:57:21 -0800, wrote:

My zannusi washer/dryer I bought in 1998 for about £500.

Been reading "Which?" magazine? Save yourself a fortune, cancel your
subscription. Try this experiment: read a review about an item you
know something about. Total ******** right? Now extrapolate.

When buying a washing machine you should either buy an AEG, or the
cheapest one you can find. Both will cost the same in the long run.

I agree about 'Which'. But AEG isn't all it's cracked up to be. I just
scrapped a 15 year old one (worked fine but made a lot of noise - this
might have something to do with living it's life in my workshop) and am
continuing with a 20 year old Phillips (that works perfectly, and
quietly, except that it won't add fabric softener in the rinse).

I think the ideal thing would be to buy a new AEG or Phillips from 15
years ago, but I can't quite work out how to do that :)

R.

Nigel Molesworth March 13th 06 12:50 PM

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:48:13 +0000, Richard A Downing wrote:

AEG isn't all it's cracked up to be. I just
scrapped a 15 year old one

QED

--
Nigel M

Guy King March 13th 06 02:52 PM

Zanussi washer dryer - repair or replace?

The message
from Richard A Downing contains these words:

I agree about 'Which'. But AEG isn't all it's cracked up to be.

My fan oven certainly isn't. The case-fan overrun was done by a thermal
switch with a heater wrapped round it, all covered with a silicone
sleeve to keep it warm. Stupid thing burnt out after a year. It's done
with a timed relay now.

Ian Stirling March 13th 06 04:16 PM

wrote:
Hi

My zannusi washer/dryer I bought in 1998 for about ?500. The dryer
stopped working a long time ago but did not use it too often so was not
too concerned. The washer cycle has took a long time for a while now,
I kept having to push it round manually to spin etc. Now the dial is
clearly stiff and not moving round properly. This means I am

What happened to my Zanussi FL884 washing machine - possibly a little
older - was the dial became sticky - probably occasional liquid spills
over the dial taking crap into it.
Removing and cleaning worked.