DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   updating wardrobe doors - a simple question ! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/148216-updating-wardrobe-doors-simple-question.html)

aupairs March 9th 06 11:33 AM

updating wardrobe doors - a simple question !

Hi
I have inherited some of those fitted wardrobes and drawers etc with the outdated 'gold' type beading or moulding on.
Bear in mind I have no skill whatsoever! How can I replace these bits and update it? I guess somehow its possible to put decorative white moudlings on somehow. The doors and fronts look like the typical mdf stuff. (I cant afford and dont want to rip the fitted furniture all out as there is a lot of it in 2 large bedrooms.) Thanks, Lara

Stuart Noble March 9th 06 07:12 PM

aupairs wrote:
Hi
I have inherited some of those fitted wardrobes and drawers etc with
the outdated 'gold' type beading or moulding on.
Bear in mind I have no skill whatsoever! How can I replace these bits
and update it? I guess somehow its possible to put decorative white
moudlings on somehow. The doors and fronts look like the typical mdf
stuff. (I cant afford and dont want to rip the fitted furniture all out
as there is a lot of it in 2 large bedrooms.) Thanks, Lara

You could buy some lengths of beading in wood and paint them white
(before you put them on!)
Lots of mitres to cut though, and you will get half of them the wrong
way round at the first attempt :-)

aupairs March 9th 06 11:40 PM

Hi
Thank you - but dont know what mitres are. I could just about paint and glue on beading - which glue to use? Do you recommend I get a decent DIY man in to remove the old gold bits then, presume they have to come off....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Noble

Nigel Molesworth March 10th 06 09:53 AM

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:33:21 +0000, aupairs wrote:

I have inherited some of those fitted wardrobes and drawers etc with
the outdated 'gold' type beading or moulding on.

They will probably pull off without too much effort, use a flat bladed
knife. You'll probably have to fill some holes later, use Polyfilla.

--
Nigel M

Stuart Noble March 10th 06 11:16 AM

aupairs wrote:
Hi
Thank you - but dont know what mitres are.

Each piece is cut at 45 degrees to form a right angle. You can buy a
small mitre box for £3 or so. Use a hacksaw or a fine blade to cut them

I could just about paint and
glue on beading - which glue to use? Do you recommend I get a decent DIY
man in to remove the old gold bits then, presume they have to come
off....

Should come off easily with a paint scraper or similar implement.