DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   full plans / building notice at same time ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/146984-full-plans-building-notice-same-time.html)

[email protected] March 1st 06 11:07 AM

full plans / building notice at same time ?

Any problems with full plans / building notice at same time ?
Will the BCO get confused and have to take a month's bed rest ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\) March 1st 06 01:35 PM

full plans / building notice at same time ?

Any problems with full plans / building notice at same time ?
Will the BCO get confused and have to take a month's bed rest ?
Cheers,
Simon.

What's the point?

You would normally use a building notice when you need to get on with the
work straight away, and can negotiate with the BCO as you go along. You
would use full plans when you want to be *sure* that your total design is
compliant *before* starting work. Approval takes a finite time (maybe 3
weeks?) after submitting the plans.

What are you hoping to achieve by using both methods at the same time?
--
Cheers,
Roger

[email protected] March 1st 06 02:02 PM

full plans / building notice at same time ?

What's the point?

You would normally use a building notice when you need to get on with the
work straight away, and can negotiate with the BCO as you go along. You
would use full plans when you want to be *sure* that your total design is
compliant *before* starting work. Approval takes a finite time (maybe 3
weeks?) after submitting the plans.

What are you hoping to achieve by using both methods at the same time?

You may ask !
Well, full plans for the extension, due to being near public sewer.
Was planning on doing other work on building notice (en-suite / removal
of chimney breast at some later date, although they could overlap).
Anyway, the full plans application also had a new under-stairs toilet
connected to the new drainage. BCO wanted a final layout and vent
details for this. I then realised, the room needed to be slightly
different and my need some structual work to support the landing since
the brick wall under the stairs / next to kitchen will need to be
moved.
And I am guaranteed the house but don't own it yet, so I cannot poke
around too much.
So, I removed the toilet from the plans as it was holding things up,
and generally being a pain.
Thats the reason.
I reality they probably will not overlap, but you never know ...!
I'm sure a whole-house renovation must often result in this situation.
I mean, the 2 types of plans are appropriate to different jobs /
circumstances.
Cheers,
Simon.

[email protected] March 1st 06 02:45 PM

full plans / building notice at same time ?

assume that a BCO could cope with this - but it's likely to cost you a lot
more in fees than it would if you were to combine it into a single
application.

Yep.
But the dropped job will be incorporated in a single building notice
covering
all the other jobs that were never going to be on the full plans !
(removal of chimney, en-suite, new windows ... etc)

By the way, a building notice (not done one before) is priced according
to the cost of the job.
I am doing the job myself. Can I just give myself a very low quote ?
Simon.

Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\) March 1st 06 04:27 PM

full plans / building notice at same time ?

By the way, a building notice (not done one before) is priced
according to the cost of the job.
I am doing the job myself. Can I just give myself a very low quote ?
Simon.

Maybe - but it had better not be less than the cost of the materials!

Don't suppose you have any disabled members of your family? Certain work to
adapt buildings for the use of the disabled is exempt from building regs
fees (but still has to satisfy the regs).
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andy Hall March 1st 06 04:36 PM

On 1 Mar 2006 06:45:52 -0800, wrote:

assume that a BCO could cope with this - but it's likely to cost you a lot
more in fees than it would if you were to combine it into a single
application.

Yep.
But the dropped job will be incorporated in a single building notice
covering
all the other jobs that were never going to be on the full plans !
(removal of chimney, en-suite, new windows ... etc)

By the way, a building notice (not done one before) is priced according
to the cost of the job.
I am doing the job myself. Can I just give myself a very low quote ?
Simon.

They're wise to that one and will be looking at a typical commercial
rate, so you won't get away with that one beyond a certain point.

--

..andy

Andy Hall March 1st 06 07:55 PM

On 1 Mar 2006 08:39:32 -0800, wrote:

They're wise to that one and will be looking at a typical commercial
rate, so you won't get away with that one beyond a certain point.

How would I know what the rate would be for a "cheap" builder then ?
Costings + some percentage ?
Simon.

Ask a couple to quote, then present the cheapest to the council to
justify your application.

--

..andy

Lobster March 1st 06 11:47 PM

wrote:
They're wise to that one and will be looking at a typical commercial
rate, so you won't get away with that one beyond a certain point.

Yes I got pulled up for that very reason on the last application I
submitted!

How would I know what the rate would be for a "cheap" builder then ?
Costings + some percentage ?

For a start, it's worth looking at the price bands for building notice
applications - there's no point agonising over whether you can justify a
low figure 'X' GBP instead of a higher figure 'Y' GBP if the fee for
both is actually going to be the same. In a similar vein it's probably
not prudent to quote a project cost of 9,999 GBP if the price break is
at 10K, for example.

David