DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Too much choice - sanitary silicone (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/146667-too-much-choice-sanitary-silicone.html)

Mac February 27th 06 05:45 PM

Too much choice - sanitary silicone

I've a bit of sealing to do on a shower, WC, basin, so am looking at the
Screwfix cat. There are 4 different ones, ranging from £4.99 (EvoStik)
down to £1.75. Too much choice! Anyone got a view on the best buy? I
want it to stay white and not grow mildew for as long as possible. (The
£3.75 one says "thick.. for professional application" - is that a
euphemism for difficult to apply?)

While I'm here...the PVA varies from £18.99 for 5l (Unibond) down to
£9.99 and £6.99. Are the cheaper ones as good, or are they already
diluted?

Thanks, anyone.

Stuart February 27th 06 06:07 PM

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:45:03 +0000, (Mac) wrote:

I've a bit of sealing to do on a shower, WC, basin, so am looking at the
Screwfix cat. There are 4 different ones, ranging from £4.99 (EvoStik)
down to £1.75. Too much choice! Anyone got a view on the best buy? I
want it to stay white and not grow mildew for as long as possible. (The
£3.75 one says "thick.. for professional application" - is that a
euphemism for difficult to apply?)

While I'm here...the PVA varies from £18.99 for 5l (Unibond) down to
£9.99 and £6.99. Are the cheaper ones as good, or are they already
diluted?

Thanks, anyone.

Dunno about the silicone but the PVA .I got a 5ltr container from a
timber merchants and it cost nothing like that iirc

Stuart

Grunff February 28th 06 09:53 AM

Mac wrote:
I've a bit of sealing to do on a shower, WC, basin, so am looking at the
Screwfix cat. There are 4 different ones, ranging from £4.99 (EvoStik)
down to £1.75. Too much choice! Anyone got a view on the best buy? I
want it to stay white and not grow mildew for as long as possible. (The
£3.75 one says "thick.. for professional application" - is that a
euphemism for difficult to apply?)

I've found little difference between different brands of sanitary silicone.

While I'm here...the PVA varies from £18.99 for 5l (Unibond) down to
£9.99 and £6.99. Are the cheaper ones as good, or are they already
diluted?

No, they're all about the same, nice and gloopy.

--
Grunff

Mac March 1st 06 05:18 PM

Grunff wrote:

Mac wrote:
I've a bit of sealing to do on a shower, WC, basin, so am looking at the
Screwfix cat. There are 4 different ones, ranging from £4.99 (EvoStik)
down to £1.75. Too much choice! Anyone got a view on the best buy? I
want it to stay white and not grow mildew for as long as possible. (The
£3.75 one says "thick.. for professional application" - is that a
euphemism for difficult to apply?)

I've found little difference between different brands of sanitary silicone.

While I'm here...the PVA varies from £18.99 for 5l (Unibond) down to
£9.99 and £6.99. Are the cheaper ones as good, or are they already
diluted?

No, they're all about the same, nice and gloopy.

Thanks (both). So no complaints about the cheapies. Thats great.

Bill March 1st 06 06:02 PM

Too much choice - sanitary silicone

I personally have found in the past that the Screwfix own brand cheapy
sanitary sealant (they dont do it any more) didn't adhere too well and
suffered from severe shrinkage.

Screwfix used to sell Everbuild sanitary sealant which cost more, but I
personally did find it was a far better product.