Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

Default Boiler flame jumping/thumping.

Was at a friends house at the weekend and noticed that their boiler in the
kicthen was "thumping" slightly.

Peering through the window, nice blue flames, but sometimes "wavering/moving
up" causing the slight thump as the flames jump back to the burners. Issue
may have been worse on flames out of sight of inspection glass. Boiler was
fitted 2002 odd.

They did have an issue about a year ago, where after having it serviced the
outdoor vent fell off, but the servicing guy returned to sort that.

My thoughts were exhaust fumes getting into the air intake (especially as
they mentioned issue with outdoor vent) or air leak in the side of the
cabinet allowing air to be drawin in or heat exchanger dripping water
(though nothing leaked yet) ?

If he can fix it themself he would like to, though I did suggest he look at
the vent again to see if fallen off/broken.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:34:50 +0000, Ian_m wrote:

[...]

This is not right.
If you could describe the 'outdoor vent' that would help.
Make and model would be a bit helpful too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:34:50 -0000, "Ian_m" wrote:

Was at a friends house at the weekend and noticed that their boiler in the
kicthen was "thumping" slightly.

Peering through the window, nice blue flames,

For one moment I thought you were peering out through the kitchen
window and saw flames!

but sometimes "wavering/moving
up" causing the slight thump as the flames jump back to the burners. Issue
may have been worse on flames out of sight of inspection glass. Boiler was
fitted 2002 odd.

They did have an issue about a year ago, where after having it serviced the
outdoor vent fell off, but the servicing guy returned to sort that.

My thoughts were exhaust fumes getting into the air intake (especially as
they mentioned issue with outdoor vent) or air leak in the side of the
cabinet allowing air to be drawin in or heat exchanger dripping water
(though nothing leaked yet) ?

Possible. Worth checking the vent is fitted correctly before going any
further. Also check the fga A ports in the flue are sealed.

There's also something in the back of my mind saying "gas regulation".
Perhaps the gas control module/valve is faulty or has dirty contacts
and causing a fluctuating flow of gas to the burner?

I doubt it's due to dirty jets as the boiler was serviced only a year
ago.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:22:31 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Ian Middleton wrote:
His "man" sorted it and iit no monger thumps,

Oh good, must be terrible having a thumping monger.

My m8 got thumped by a monger once.

sponix

Why the Fire in a Gas Boiler Extinguished By Itself? [email protected] Home Repair 8 February 22nd 06 05:02 PM
Flame goes out on boiler when cold water tap is turned on. [email protected] UK diy 12 May 21st 05 12:12 AM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Boiler pilot light went out David Hearn UK diy 6 October 26th 03 11:54 PM