DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing electric oven thermostat-is it easy? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/145170-replacing-electric-oven-thermostat-easy.html)

[email protected] February 17th 06 02:15 PM

Replacing electric oven thermostat-is it easy?

Hi

I have a Homark oven and the thermostat has gone. I can get hold of the
part but was wondering if the actually replacement would be an easy
job?

Advice much appreciated.

Em

powerstation February 17th 06 03:15 PM

Replacing electric oven thermostat-is it easy?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I have a Homark oven and the thermostat has gone. I can get hold of the
part but was wondering if the actually replacement would be an easy
job?

Advice much appreciated.

Em

In what way as the thermostat gone ?

[email protected] February 17th 06 03:32 PM

Replacing electric oven thermostat-is it easy?

The oven when turned on heats up and does not regulate, so it is
basically on or off!

Grunff February 17th 06 03:40 PM

wrote:

I have a Homark oven and the thermostat has gone. I can get hold of the
part but was wondering if the actually replacement would be an easy
job?

Advice much appreciated.

It's difficult to answer your question, because it depends what tasks
you consider easy/difficult. For instance, I would consider engine
replacement in a car a fairly easy job, some wouldn't.

Ovens on the whole come apart quite easily, so replacing the thermostat
would involve removing the oven (if it's built-in), removing the front
panel (a few screws), locating the thermostat and replacing it. Does
that sound easy?

--
Grunff

Sponix February 17th 06 04:01 PM

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:40:34 +0000, Grunff wrote:

It's difficult to answer your question, because it depends what tasks
you consider easy/difficult. For instance, I would consider engine
replacement in a car a fairly easy job, some wouldn't.

Oh no you wouldn't! You'd be putting it off for months and months like
everyone else!

:)

Engine replacement is a *simple* job but I wouldn't describe it as
*easy*. Lots of scraped knuckle, sheared bolts and gritty oil to
contend with.

Imo there is a subtle difference between simple and easy.

sponix

[email protected] February 17th 06 04:05 PM

Replacing electric oven thermostat-is it easy?

Hmm well it's not actually me that would be doing it! Friend loves diy
and is good at it.

Does not sound too hard. Oven is built in so only tricky bit sounds
like getting that out..take it there are some screws somewhere that
enable it to slide out?

Basically is ti fairly obvious what bits need to come out? any obvious
errors or things not to do?

Grunff February 17th 06 04:18 PM

wrote:
Hmm well it's not actually me that would be doing it! Friend loves diy
and is good at it.

Does not sound too hard. Oven is built in so only tricky bit sounds
like getting that out..take it there are some screws somewhere that
enable it to slide out?

Yes, screws. Usually accessed by opening the oven door.

Basically is ti fairly obvious what bits need to come out? any obvious
errors or things not to do?

This is again totally subjective - I know some people to whom it would
be completely obvious, and others who would simply stand there staring
at it blankly.

--
Grunff

[email protected] February 17th 06 04:28 PM

Replacing electric oven thermostat-is it easy?

OK thanks. last question's is thethermostat at the front or the back of
the oven? and what does it looked like?

Peter Andrews February 17th 06 04:31 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Hmm well it's not actually me that would be doing it! Friend loves diy
and is good at it.

Does not sound too hard. Oven is built in so only tricky bit sounds
like getting that out..take it there are some screws somewhere that
enable it to slide out?

Yes, screws. Usually accessed by opening the oven door.

Basically is ti fairly obvious what bits need to come out? any obvious
errors or things not to do?

This is again totally subjective - I know some people to whom it would be
completely obvious, and others who would simply stand there staring at it
blankly.

--
Grunff

Make sure that you have something to put the oven onto when you slide it
out. I know of a block of 65 flats where every oven is installed with a
cable that doesn't allow it to come out and rest safely on the floor -
another 4" would make life so much easier!!

Peter

Grunff February 17th 06 04:32 PM

wrote:
OK thanks. last question's is thethermostat at the front or the back of
the oven? and what does it looked like?

On most electric ovens the thermostat is part of the temperature control
(the bit that the knob turns). There will be a probe running from this
to the top/side of the oven.

--
Grunff