Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

Default 100A 3 pole, 2 way switch

Hi,

My brother is fitting a generator to his house (very rural), and needs to
source a 100A 250VAC 3 pole changeover switch...

Any idea where he's likely to find such a thing??

Cheers

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim_in_sussex

Talk to A1 Electrical (an independant unit trading within the TLC
umbrella), Tunbridge Wells
tel 01892-515350

You'll get good advice & even if you live nowhere near you still might
be able to have it delivered via TLC.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
Hi,

My brother is fitting a generator to his house (very rural), and

needs to
source a 100A 250VAC 3 pole changeover switch...

Any idea where he's likely to find such a thing??

Cheers

Chris

I think the conventional method is a cross connected and mechanically
interlocked pair of contactors so arranged that when one is operated
the other is electrically and physically prevented from energising.
Same system is used for reversing three phase motors.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
Hi,

My brother is fitting a generator to his house (very rural), and needs to
source a 100A 250VAC 3 pole changeover switch...

Any idea where he's likely to find such a thing??

Cheers

Chris

What power is the generator?
You can get one of these, but the generator side is only rated at 40A
http://www.toolsnextday.ltd.uk/generators/gen02.htm

I think you could just uprate the RCD and cables inside if the generator is
bigger, but haven't taken mine apart to look :-)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:25:13 +0000 (UTC), Chris Styles wrote:

My brother is fitting a generator to his house (very rural), and needs
to source a 100A 250VAC 3 pole changeover switch...

You mean something like this:

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/pages/powertransfer.htm

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

My brother is fitting a generator to his house (very rural), and
needs to source a 100A 250VAC 3 pole changeover switch...
I think the conventional method is a cross connected and mechanically
interlocked pair of contactors so arranged that when one is operated
the other is electrically and physically prevented from energising.
Same system is used for reversing three phase motors.

I can`t be sure of the protection required on a generation setup, but
IIRC its something like "G58 protection" - although this may only
apply to the export of electricity back into the network.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:25:13 +0000 (UTC), Chris Styles wrote:

My brother is fitting a generator to his house (very rural), and needs
to source a 100A 250VAC 3 pole changeover switch...

You mean something like this:

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/pages/powertransfer.htm

You don't actually need to switch the whole house electrics of course. A
friend in New Forest with intermittant electric supply had a generator
fitted that supplied just the boiler, fridge/freezer, kitchen lights and
single socket for TV/Sky box. Uses a tiny Honda generator.

I think this was done with a feed from CU via a contactor (?) with
generertor power to a small CU with a 16A (boiler, socket and fridge) and 6A
(lights) radially wired to the items in the house. He was having major
building work done at the time so cable running was not an issue. I think
the function of the contactor was to isolate the incoming mains and connect
the generator power when generator was started. All done by an electrician,
I think also some pavement was dug up as well to provide and earth
spike/connection. And a battery powered emergency light thing in the
generator cupboard (outside) that comes on if the mains fails so that you
are a*sing around in the dark trying to get the generator started.

Only needed it once since fitting, 3 years ago, but thats life.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Ian_m wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:25:13 +0000 (UTC), Chris Styles wrote:

My brother is fitting a generator to his house (very rural), and needs
to source a 100A 250VAC 3 pole changeover switch...

You mean something like this:

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/pages/powertransfer.htm

You don't actually need to switch the whole house electrics of course. A
friend in New Forest with intermittant electric supply had a generator
fitted that supplied just the boiler, fridge/freezer, kitchen lights and
single socket for TV/Sky box. Uses a tiny Honda generator.

I'm planning - at some time in the near future to do a slightly similar
thing.
UPS connected to small CU near the main CU, plugged into a socket.
With assorted 1, 0.5A MCBs.

Ring, with 1,2A round-pin sockets, for small loads (TV, ...)
Another, with 10A sockets, for freezers/...
On extended power cuts, unplug UPS from mains socket, plug UPS into
generator socket, and throw the changeover switch to activate the
freezer circuit.