DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   c/h timer blowing fuses (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/143941-c-h-timer-blowing-fuses.html)

[email protected] February 8th 06 11:04 PM

c/h timer blowing fuses

hello l wonder if you can help me, my c/h is blowing 3amp fuses the
system is about 20 yrs old and the timer is a glow worm. when the hot
water clicks on there is no problem but when the heating kicks in about
a minute later it blows the fuse,it's been doing this a while and only
blew a fuse about once a week but now it's every time the heating
comes on, so as you can guess we have no heating. l'm tipping it's the
timer, can you please help asap as we have a 4 yr old and no heat.
thanks

p.s what and where is the Syncron motor in the 3 way valve.

raden February 8th 06 11:44 PM

c/h timer blowing fuses

In message .com,
writes
hello l wonder if you can help me, my c/h is blowing 3amp fuses the
system is about 20 yrs old and the timer is a glow worm. when the hot
water clicks on there is no problem but when the heating kicks in about
a minute later it blows the fuse,it's been doing this a while and only
blew a fuse about once a week but now it's every time the heating
comes on, so as you can guess we have no heating. l'm tipping it's the
timer, can you please help asap as we have a 4 yr old and no heat.
thanks

p.s what and where is the Syncron motor in the 3 way valve.

a bit lacking in useful info such as boiler make / model but it could be
the pump as it happens in CH mode only

The timer is just a switch

--
geoff

Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\) February 9th 06 12:29 AM

c/h timer blowing fuses

hello l wonder if you can help me, my c/h is blowing 3amp fuses the
system is about 20 yrs old and the timer is a glow worm. when the hot
water clicks on there is no problem but when the heating kicks in
about a minute later it blows the fuse,it's been doing this a while
and only blew a fuse about once a week but now it's every time the
heating comes on, so as you can guess we have no heating. l'm tipping
it's the timer, can you please help asap as we have a 4 yr old and no
heat. thanks

p.s what and where is the Syncron motor in the 3 way valve.

Are you sure you've got a 3-way valve? Is it possible that you've got a
gravity (convection) HW and pumped CH system - so that the pump only runs
when the CH is on? If so, it's likely that it's the pump which is causing
the problem.

If you *do* have a 3-port valve, it will look something like
http://tinyurl.com/dbo4j - though not necessarily blue - and the synchron
motor will be inside the actuator part (the blue bit in this case).
--
Cheers,
Roger