Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

Default Fitting Air Admittance Valve (AAV)

The waste run in my new kitchen is very long, and hence the BCO insisted on
installing an AAV on the 40mm pipe. The plan is to fit it under the worktop
next to the kitchen sink.

My logic suggests that the AAV needs to be fitted above the highest possible
water level in the sink. IS this really the case? i.e. do I need to re-think
my plan?

PS: I seem to recall seeing this done is my proposed way before, but cannot
remember the details.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"JoeJoe" writes:
The waste run in my new kitchen is very long, and hence the BCO insisted on
installing an AAV on the 40mm pipe. The plan is to fit it under the worktop
next to the kitchen sink.

My logic suggests that the AAV needs to be fitted above the highest possible
water level in the sink. IS this really the case? i.e. do I need to re-think
my plan?

I don't think that's the case for a 40mm waste run.
They are commonly integral with the U-trap, which
will always be lower than the sink.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"JoeJoe" writes:
The waste run in my new kitchen is very long, and hence the BCO insisted on
installing an AAV on the 40mm pipe. The plan is to fit it under the worktop
next to the kitchen sink.

My logic suggests that the AAV needs to be fitted above the highest possible
water level in the sink. IS this really the case? i.e. do I need to re-think
my plan?

That's what you're supposed to do when fitting an AAV to a soil pipe.
If you need to get access to the pipe for rodding by removing the AAV
then any water trapped in the sink will not flow out through the AAV
since it's at a lower level. Having it lower than the highest water
level doesn't stop it working but may be messy in case of a blockage.

You can always drain the sink by undoing the U-bend.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 00:14:19 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named
"JoeJoe" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The waste run in my new kitchen is very long, and hence the BCO insisted on
installing an AAV on the 40mm pipe. The plan is to fit it under the worktop
next to the kitchen sink.

My logic suggests that the AAV needs to be fitted above the highest possible
water level in the sink. IS this really the case? i.e. do I need to re-think
my plan?

Are you sure he's not talking about an anti-vac trap [1] which is
fitted instead of the standard trap?

[1] I'm sure Dr Dibble will be along in a short while to extol the
virtues of HepVO traps.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"