DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drilling a hole in plywood (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/143717-drilling-hole-plywood.html)

Kev February 7th 06 11:18 AM

Drilling a hole in plywood

Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

Kevin

Paul-S8 February 7th 06 11:27 AM

Drilling a hole in plywood

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

Kevin

get a piece of scrap wood behind it if you can and hold if firmly against
it. You then drill through the ply and into the scrap with no ripping

Paul

Chris Bacon February 7th 06 11:49 AM

Drilling a hole in plywood

Paul-S8 wrote:
"Kev" wrote...
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.

get a piece of scrap wood behind it if you can and hold if firmly against
it. You then drill through the ply and into the scrap with no ripping

He could also use an auger (from each side) but the above
may be easier... maybe drill a pilot hole and use a rose
bit on each side, or other imaginitive methods.

[email protected] February 7th 06 01:00 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

Kev wrote:
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

Don't use flat drill bits or hss drill bits.

These are better for reducing break through damage in wood.

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=315691

Just take it easy and don't go at it like a bull at a gate ;-)

Paul.

Kev February 7th 06 01:12 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

wrote:
Kev wrote:
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

Don't use flat drill bits or hss drill bits.

These are better for reducing break through damage in wood.

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=315691

Just take it easy and don't go at it like a bull at a gate ;-)

Paul.

I have some like these but they are very long drills so I will invest
in a shorter one. At the end of the day the reverse side is hidden, so
will the front side be when the job is finished come to that, it is
just frustrating not to be able to bet a clean hole and believe me I am
being as gentle as I can.

Kevin

EricP February 7th 06 01:44 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

On 7 Feb 2006 05:12:13 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

wrote:
Kev wrote:
[...]

It's not being gentle, it's putting a piece of sgrap wood on the back
of where you are drilling from and using sharp bits.

Mungo February 7th 06 02:56 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

I seem to recall that such a scrap of wood has a curious name: "spelch
block".
Always willing to be corrected...

Mungo

Kev February 7th 06 04:12 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

EricP wrote:
On 7 Feb 2006 05:12:13 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

It's not being gentle, it's putting a piece of sgrap wood on the back
of where you are drilling from and using sharp bits.

It is actually difficult getting to the reverse to hold some wood and
drill at the same time but I will check the sharpness of the drills.

Kevin

Rob Morley February 7th 06 05:22 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

In article .com
Kev wrote:
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

One of these should be better than a regular twist bit

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=3856

nightjar February 7th 06 11:18 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

There are proper wood twist drills, with a central spike and a small cutter
on the outer edge, which cuts the circle before you start to drill it. I
always use those for holes up to 10mm.

Colin Bignell

The Medway Handyman February 8th 06 12:12 AM

Drilling a hole in plywood

Kev wrote:
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the
wrong type of drill.

If you want a 100% perfect no splinter hole use a plunge router.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Kev February 8th 06 01:14 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

nightjar wrote:
"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

There are proper wood twist drills, with a central spike and a small cutter
on the outer edge, which cuts the circle before you start to drill it. I
always use those for holes up to 10mm.

Colin Bignell

That sounds like this http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=3856.
Somebody else mentioned it.

Kevin

nightjar February 8th 06 05:48 PM

Drilling a hole in plywood

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...

nightjar wrote:
"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

There are proper wood twist drills, with a central spike and a small
cutter
on the outer edge, which cuts the circle before you start to drill it. I
always use those for holes up to 10mm.

Colin Bignell

That sounds like this http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=3856.

Looks like it too.

Somebody else mentioned it.

Getting the same advice from two different people on a newsgroup is usually
a sign that they are on the right track.

Colin Bignell