Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

Default Why has my block paving gone green?

We had our drive block paved last summer and are happy with the result,
no sagging or other problems as far as I can see. But over the last few
weeks of damp weather the drive has taken on a distinctly green hue,
less so where the cars are normally parked. What is this? Is it moss or
mildew or something similar growing in the surface of the blocks due to
being damp all the time? What can I do to clean it off and stop it
coming back?

Any ideas welcome.
TIA
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Andy wrote:
We had our drive block paved last summer and are happy with the
result, no sagging or other problems as far as I can see. But
over the last few weeks of damp weather the drive has taken on a
distinctly green hue, less so where the cars are normally parked.
What is this? Is it moss or mildew or something similar growing
in the surface of the blocks due to being damp all the time? What
can I do to clean it off and stop it coming back?

Algae. Pressure washer or common chemicals will remove, but nothing will
stop it coming back.

Why not call it patina, and have a beer instead?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound

Algae. Pressure washer or common chemicals will remove, but nothing will
stop it coming back.

Jeyes fluid (instructions on can) should kill it off (but yes, it will
return)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon

Newshound wrote:

Algae. Pressure washer or common chemicals will remove, but nothing will
stop it coming back.

Jeyes fluid (instructions on can) should kill it off (but yes, it will
return)

Is that still a permitted use?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Andy wrote:
We had our drive block paved last summer and are happy with the
result, no sagging or other problems as far as I can see. But
over the last few weeks of damp weather the drive has taken on a
distinctly green hue, less so where the cars are normally parked.
What is this? Is it moss or mildew or something similar growing
in the surface of the blocks due to being damp all the time? What
can I do to clean it off and stop it coming back?

Algae. Pressure washer or common chemicals will remove, but nothing will
stop it coming back.

Careful you don't wash out all the sand.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the chemical route when the weather here
is better.

Cheers
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Take a look at
http://www.originaltouch.co.uk

There IS a solution for removal and prevention.
Batiface will remove the moss, algae, mould from your drive, leaving it
'as new' (leaves tarmac black again)
There is also a product for leaving a fungicide on the surface and a
water repellant sealant.

Our drive has been clear over the Winter since application.
Hope this helps

Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just caught your post.
There IS a solution to remove and help prevent it coming back.
Take a look at
http://www.originaltouch.co.uk

Step 1 - Apply Batiface for removal of all moss, algae and mildew,
renovating the surface to 'as new' (leaves tarmac black)

Step 2 - either apply Batimoss (a fungicide) or Hydromoss (a water
repellant sealant)

It works really well and we have had no greening on our drive for the
last 5 months over the very wet winter
(But do apply in dry weather!)

Hope this helps

Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

Thanks Sam. Looks promising.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andy wrote:
Thanks Sam. Looks promising.

What does?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We have a problem of green paving - in locations where the sun doesn't
normally get to very much.
I well sun exposed areas it isn;t very much of a problem in the summer.
But once a year we jetwash everything and that sorts it out just fine!

The jetwasher does a marvellous job, but what with water meters becoming
compulsary I may think twice before getting the old beastie out in the
future!