DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fire regulations for internal garage? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/143464-fire-regulations-internal-garage.html)

Pete February 5th 06 03:09 PM

Fire regulations for internal garage?

Hello,
I have an en-suite bathroom that is above my garage (garage is integral
to house). I have started to refit the ensuite with a new shower. To
avoid having to raise the shower tray to hold the trap and box in the
draining in the bathroom I have decided to run the basin and shower
waste pipes on the garage ceiling. This means that I have had to cut a
32mm and 40mm diameter hole in the garage ceiling. I also plan and
doing something similar for a towel rail in the new bathroom as the
boiler is in the garage so I figure it would be easier to run the
copper pipes along the garage ceiling to the boiler.

The garage ceiling is double boarded for fire safety, which I have now
compromised with my holes in the ceiling. I have read that there are
intumescent pipe collar that you can buy that collapse on heat and seal
the hole - would using these bring me back in line with current fire
regulations or do i have to box everything in with double plaster
board?

Are the pipe collars okay to use on copper pipe i.e. if i run the towel
rail pipes on the ceiling as well?

I've also noticed that the mains gas pipe goes into the garage ceiling
and a number of cables from the fuse unit - none of with have any
collar aroung them - is this correct in a five year old house?

Thanks for your help.

Pete