DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Connecting to 2 phase cooktop/hob (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/143307-connecting-2-phase-cooktop-hob.html)

JohnnyGW February 4th 06 11:05 AM

Connecting to 2 phase cooktop/hob

I am replacing my electric (glass top, ceramic) hob in my kitchen. I
have stupidly bourght a model that appears to requre 2 phase connection
- it has connections for L1, L2, N and Earth. The supply to my old hob
is only a single phase 240v supply. Worse there is only single phase
supply to the house. Is there any way to connect this up without having
an extra phase wired up?

Sparks February 4th 06 11:15 AM

Connecting to 2 phase cooktop/hob

"JohnnyGW" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing my electric (glass top, ceramic) hob in my kitchen. I
have stupidly bourght a model that appears to requre 2 phase connection
- it has connections for L1, L2, N and Earth. The supply to my old hob
is only a single phase 240v supply. Worse there is only single phase
supply to the house. Is there any way to connect this up without having
an extra phase wired up?

If it is anything like my oven, then just link L1 and L2 together.
But I would make sure this is correct first - Mine told me in the manual.

What is the make/model?

Sparks...

Andrew Gabriel February 4th 06 11:16 AM

Connecting to 2 phase cooktop/hob

In article .com,
"JohnnyGW" writes:
I am replacing my electric (glass top, ceramic) hob in my kitchen. I
have stupidly bourght a model that appears to requre 2 phase connection
- it has connections for L1, L2, N and Earth. The supply to my old hob
is only a single phase 240v supply. Worse there is only single phase
supply to the house. Is there any way to connect this up without having
an extra phase wired up?

It helps to say which country you're in. Looks like Australia,
whose rules I'm not familiar with, but I thought they forbid
anyone other than a licenced electrician from doing anything
much.

However, hobs like you describe are available in some EU
countries. These can often be configured to run from a single
phase of appropriate current rating by linking L1 and L2
together with a supplied connecting strip. This will depend
on the design of the cooker, and should be covered in the
installation instructions.

--
Andrew Gabriel

JohnnyGW February 4th 06 11:45 AM

Connecting to 2 phase cooktop/hob

It's a Keenmaid CH605CM. Kleenmaid are an Aussie company (I think) that
rebadge European appliances. The manual is fairly poor and unfortunatly
does not describe linking L1 and L2 though this is what I had in mind.

Tony Williams February 4th 06 11:59 AM

Connecting to 2 phase cooktop/hob

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It helps to say which country you're in. Looks like Australia,
whose rules I'm not familiar with, but I thought they forbid
anyone other than a licenced electrician from doing anything
much.

However, hobs like you describe are available in some EU
countries. These can often be configured to run from a single
phase of appropriate current rating by linking L1 and L2
together with a supplied connecting strip. This will depend
on the design of the cooker, and should be covered in the
installation instructions.

Any chance it is a US 240V appliance? In which
case it would require a 120-0-120 supply, ie as
from a centre-tapped transformer.

--
Tony Williams.

JohnnyGW February 4th 06 12:05 PM

Connecting to 2 phase cooktop/hob

No sorry, should have been clearer. It is a rebadged European model.
I'm installing it in Australia where 240V is the standard.