DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   RSJ calculation (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/143159-rsj-calculation.html)

johncol February 3rd 06 09:52 AM

RSJ calculation

I have a lounge floor, 16 X 12 feet wide, which has 5" X 2" joists at
11" centres along the width (12 feet). I have removed a toilet and
pantry underneath, the walls of which helped to support the floor in
question. The floor is ok but a bit bouncy, since it should really
have 7" joists. I intend to put a 16 foot RSJ underneath at 7 feet
along the width. Any help in calculating the size of the RSJ? How
thin can get away with, bearing in mind that anything would improve
the situation? Hope all this makes sense! Any help greatly
appreciated!
--
I like http://www.torfaen-fighttheplan.org.uk

Cordless Crazy February 3rd 06 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johncol
I have a lounge floor, 16 X 12 feet wide, which has 5" X 2" joists at
11" centres along the width (12 feet). I have removed a toilet and
pantry underneath, the walls of which helped to support the floor in
question. The floor is ok but a bit bouncy, since it should really
have 7" joists. I intend to put a 16 foot RSJ underneath at 7 feet
along the width. Any help in calculating the size of the RSJ? How
thin can get away with, bearing in mind that anything would improve
the situation? Hope all this makes sense! Any help greatly
appreciated!
--
I like http://www.torfaen-fighttheplan.org.uk

You should have put the steel in first before removing the wall, as the joist/floor will have deflected and sagged. You now wont have a level ceiling. Is this a concern?

dg February 3rd 06 06:47 PM

RSJ calculation

It can be pushed back up with some acrows, and the RSJ packed up at the
bearing.

dg