Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Immersion heater

Hi

I've a problem with my immersion heater. It seams that no matter how
long I leave it on, the water only manages to get to luke warm. I've
changed the stat and it's the same. Many thanks for any help!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I've a problem with my immersion heater. It seams that no matter how
long I leave it on, the water only manages to get to luke warm. I've
changed the stat and it's the same. Many thanks for any help!

David

Hopefully, you're rotating your stat adjuster Anti-clockwise to result in a
higher water temp? That's how my 2.7kW immersion heater stat was designed!
If you are in a hard-water area, is your cylinder rather full of limescale?
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I've a problem with my immersion heater. It seams that no matter how
long I leave it on, the water only manages to get to luke warm. I've
changed the stat and it's the same. Many thanks for any help!

David

OK so you are satisfied there is power to (230/240 volts ACROSS) the
element. There is only one other thing in the chain ergo the element. Around
ten to twenty pounds plus fitting

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:01:00 +0000, Jim Gregory wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I've a problem with my immersion heater. It seams that no matter how
long I leave it on, the water only manages to get to luke warm. I've
changed the stat and it's the same. Many thanks for any help!

David

Hopefully, you're rotating your stat adjuster Anti-clockwise to result in a
higher water temp? That's how my 2.7kW immersion heater stat was designed!
If you are in a hard-water area, is your cylinder rather full of limescale?
Jim

I would now be tempted to measure the resistance of the element.
17-20 Ohms would be about right.
And the resistance to earth!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I replaced the whole unit and it's OK now. Not that competent with
multimeter so didn't test!

Thanks for the help!

David

wrote:

John wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:

Hi

I've a problem with my immersion heater. It seams that no matter how
long I leave it on, the water only manages to get to luke warm. I've
changed the stat and it's the same. Many thanks for any help!

David

then your stat is set too low. Modern stats have a preset secondary
safety stat thats set quite low,and it may be too low for your system.

Leave you to work out the solution.

Lukewarm is unlikely to be within the setting range of the stat.

A faulty one may be. Theyre prone to charring and coming half apart,
since they both switch frequently and run hot.

But that would make the backup stat situ irrelevant, if its literally
lukewarm. I had assumed it was warm, just not hot enough, but maybe
not.

I bet the
element has burst inside the cylinder. Eds measurement idea is best to
start.

And is lukewarm only from a little remaining heat? Makes sense.

Really though, folk need to measure and find out, we cant be sure
either way. The OP can use a multimeter to check R of both element and
stat. Stat should be zero, or at least 0.1 ohm, plus the element
checks as Ed said. Also check for 240v if capable enough to play with
live things.

It may also just be a popped fuse, needing nothing more than a new fuse
in the FCU. Fuses run close to max rating dont last indefinitely. Or
something else...

NT