Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disconnecting gas cooker

We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use it -
turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.

Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the fitting
it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

F wrote:
We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use
it - turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.

Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the
fitting it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay closed.
If screw, this needs to be capped.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay closed.
If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the bayonet
fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas
soundness)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay
closed. If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the
bayonet fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

Wouldn't you say that if that was the case then this is a faulty coupler?

By the way where does one obtain a capping for bayonet coupler?

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas
soundness)

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay
closed. If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the
bayonet fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

Wouldn't you say that if that was the case then this is a faulty coupler?

By the way where does one obtain a capping for bayonet coupler?

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas
soundness)

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John is correct, a bayonet fitting should not be left unused and a 3/4"
threaded cap screwed onto the backplate in its place.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:02:49 +0000, F wrote:

|We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use it -
|turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.
|
|Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the fitting
|it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

Could you not replace the gas cooker with a new one with Flame Failure
Devices fitted? I have them in the caravan and they seem very fool proof.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay
closed. If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the
bayonet fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

Wouldn't you say that if that was the case then this is a faulty coupler?

By the way where does one obtain a capping for bayonet coupler?

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas
soundness)

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John is correct, a bayonet fitting should not be left unused and a 3/4"
threaded cap screwed onto the backplate in its place.

Angus

I'm trying to visualise a standard bayonet whch has a 3/4" connection. I
only ever came acrosss 1/2".

To the OP If its one of the mini bayonets IIRC a sealing cap is already
available from BES

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:02:49 +0000, F wrote:

|We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use it -
|turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.
|
|Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the fitting
|it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

Could you not replace the gas cooker with a new one with Flame Failure
Devices fitted? I have them in the caravan and they seem very fool
proof.

If he's forgetting to light the gas he's probably in danger of setting his
sleeves etc on fire with a naked flame. An electric cooker might be a lot
safer in the long run (or meals on wheels).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2006 10:09 John wrote:

An electric cooker might be a lot safer in the long run (or meals on
wheels).

Using a microwave now. Sadly, meals on wheels would be next.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the responses.

On 01/02/2006 10:09 John wrote:

To the OP If its one of the mini bayonets IIRC a sealing cap is already
available from BES

If I get one, am I allowed to fit it? I'm not a corgi but we do have a cat!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

F wrote:

If I get one, am I allowed to fit it? I'm not a corgi but we do have a cat!

To paraphrase Dirty Harry: "Ask yourself a question: do you feel
competant punk?"

Give it a test when done to make sure there are no leaks - a can of leak
detection spray, or failing that, some soapy water (wash any soap
residue off after)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay
closed. If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the
bayonet fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

Wouldn't you say that if that was the case then this is a faulty
coupler?

By the way where does one obtain a capping for bayonet coupler?

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for
gas soundness)

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John is correct, a bayonet fitting should not be left unused and a
3/4" threaded cap screwed onto the backplate in its place.

Angus

Thread cap?mines just a bayonet fitting.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

Are they on their site?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

I think he means a 1/2" bsp male plug to screw into the backplate AFTER
removal of the bayonet not a cap to go on the bayonet but please do correct
me if i am wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

Backplate? I'm assuming we are talking the oven here? if so then you dont
disconnect the pipe from oven, its disconnected via the wall valve coupler
itself.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

nooooo the part the bayonet screws into on the wall is a wallplate or
backplate fitting http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/142b.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

Sorry, most of the properties I've come across, the couplers have been free
standing pipeing being secured via wall clamps.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

I did mean 1/2" - sorry (it was early)!

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

"F" wrote in message
On 01/02/2006 10:09 John wrote:

An electric cooker might be a lot safer in the long run (or meals on
wheels).

Using a microwave now. Sadly, meals on wheels would be next.

Good idea. You must harp on about -never- using metal-foil containers (Meals
on Wheels often supply portions in these) nor leaving any steel cutlery
inside.
My own parents-in-law are both very elderly, yet can usefully cook with
their 700W microwave oven.
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

Thats the way for the "female" bayonet which is commonest but there is a
"male" bayonet somewhat smaller and the cap I meant is for that type. All
that would be needed for this type is to put it on the projecting bayonet to
close it off. A leak test would of course be advisable.

For the old female type you are of course correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

.... and you'd need a plug not a cap after removing the fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:04:15 +0000, F wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

On 01/02/2006 10:09 John wrote:

To the OP If its one of the mini bayonets IIRC a sealing cap is already
available from BES

If I get one, am I allowed to fit it? I'm not a corgi but we do have a cat!

Once you unscrew the fitting - that constitutes 'Gas Work'
as far as the law goes. That means as we all know you have to be
competent.
Fortunately the work is not subject to building control (yet). 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Gregory wrote:
"F" wrote in message
On 01/02/2006 10:09 John wrote:

An electric cooker might be a lot safer in the long run (or meals on
wheels).

Using a microwave now. Sadly, meals on wheels would be next.

Good idea. You must harp on about -never- using metal-foil containers (Meals
on Wheels often supply portions in these)

They're fine so long as they don't have a foil lid on them.

nor leaving any steel cutlery
inside.

And not putting a spoon into anything that you've just boiled in the
microwave.

MBQ

Electric cooker connection petek UK diy 8 March 9th 05 12:23 AM
about the cooker socket Jason UK diy 11 October 27th 04 11:33 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 03:44 PM
Electrical - Rangemaster p90 all gas Bill Gardener UK diy 8 December 14th 03 12:45 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 11:28 PM