DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tamper proof Triangle socket (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/142430-tamper-proof-triangle-socket.html)

Dave Liquorice January 29th 06 03:35 PM

Tamper proof Triangle socket

I've got light fitting that has the cover retained by some tamper proof
screws. The heads have a raised equilateral triangle with each side 4 or
5mm long. This obviously needs a triangle shaped socket driver, can I
find one? Can I heck. That's looking on CPC and RS sites. The "security"
bit sets don't have this particular type of bit in them.

Any clues? TIA.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Grunff January 29th 06 04:16 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've got light fitting that has the cover retained by some tamper proof
screws. The heads have a raised equilateral triangle with each side 4 or
5mm long. This obviously needs a triangle shaped socket driver, can I
find one? Can I heck. That's looking on CPC and RS sites. The "security"
bit sets don't have this particular type of bit in them.

Any clues? TIA.

Do you have any small hex sockets? A small enough socket will fit - but
it'll need to be 3mm/4mm

--
Grunff

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 29th 06 05:30 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've got light fitting that has the cover retained by some tamper
proof screws. The heads have a raised equilateral triangle with each
side 4 or 5mm long. This obviously needs a triangle shaped socket
driver, can I find one? Can I heck. That's looking on CPC and RS
sites. The "security" bit sets don't have this particular type of bit
in them.

Any clues? TIA.

Any chance of a pic, we could come up with an idea?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 29th 06 05:55 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've got light fitting that has the cover retained by some tamper
proof screws. The heads have a raised equilateral triangle with each
side 4 or 5mm long. This obviously needs a triangle shaped socket
driver, can I find one? Can I heck. That's looking on CPC and RS
sites. The "security" bit sets don't have this particular type of bit
in them.

Any clues? TIA.

Is there any room to clamp a dremmel type chuck over it? as the chuck is
basically a triangle jaw shape.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ian Stirling January 29th 06 05:56 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've got light fitting that has the cover retained by some tamper proof
screws. The heads have a raised equilateral triangle with each side 4 or
5mm long. This obviously needs a triangle shaped socket driver, can I
find one? Can I heck. That's looking on CPC and RS sites. The "security"
bit sets don't have this particular type of bit in them.

It occurs to me that the appropriate sized hex socket bit may work.

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 29th 06 06:04 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've got light fitting that has the cover retained by some tamper
proof screws. The heads have a raised equilateral triangle with each
side 4 or 5mm long. This obviously needs a triangle shaped socket
driver, can I find one? Can I heck. That's looking on CPC and RS
sites. The "security" bit sets don't have this particular type of bit
in them.

Any clues? TIA.

Dunno how big the triang is but... :-)
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MON2059.html
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Dave Liquorice January 29th 06 09:11 PM

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:04:13 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Dunno how big the triang is but... :-)
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MON2059.html

I've got one of those at a guess the triangle is about half the size of
the tri socket on it.

I'll take some hex sockets next time I'm down there and my camera...
Trouble they are also recessed down a fairly narrow hole in plastic,
anything over about 3/8" dia isn't going to reach them.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Tournifreak January 29th 06 11:08 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've got light fitting that has the cover retained by some tamper proof
screws. The heads have a raised equilateral triangle with each side 4 or
5mm long. This obviously needs a triangle shaped socket driver, can I
find one? Can I heck. That's looking on CPC and RS sites. The "security"
bit sets don't have this particular type of bit in them.

I got a box of security bits from Aldi recently. 104 different ones I
think, for 5 or 6 quid. Quality was not the best, but how often do you
need one of those obsure shares/sizes? Worth keeping an eye out for
future reference.

regards,
Jon.

Grumpy owd man January 29th 06 11:17 PM

Tamper proof Triangle socket

We use a 'Nutspinner' which has a long thin shaft and is gently forced
onto the tri-head. IIRC it is a 4BA and a hammer ;) or a cheap n'n
cr4ppy box spanner