DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   air in my central heating system (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/142037-air-my-central-heating-system.html)

Alan January 26th 06 11:57 AM

air in my central heating system

I'm having to bleed my radiators several times a day to reduce the
banging from the pump/boiler. There are no obvious leaks and I can't
find any damp areas. Does anyone have any advice on how I could solve
this problem?

sPoNiX January 26th 06 12:06 PM

On 26 Jan 2006 03:57:34 -0800, "Alan" wrote:

I'm having to bleed my radiators several times a day to reduce the
banging from the pump/boiler. There are no obvious leaks and I can't
find any damp areas. Does anyone have any advice on how I could solve
this problem?

Have there been any additives added?

sponix

[email protected] January 26th 06 12:15 PM

Alan wrote:
I'm having to bleed my radiators several times a day to reduce the
banging from the pump/boiler. There are no obvious leaks and I can't
find any damp areas. Does anyone have any advice on how I could solve
this problem?

Is this a sealed system (with filling loop and pressure guage)
or a vented system (with a small header tank in loft)?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mogweed January 26th 06 01:26 PM

air in my central heating system

"Alan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm having to bleed my radiators several times a day to reduce the
banging from the pump/boiler. There are no obvious leaks and I can't
find any damp areas. Does anyone have any advice on how I could solve
this problem?

It may be hydrogen, not air. Next time you bleed a rad, see if you can light
the "air" coming out. If it is hydrogen then I think that means corrosion
somewhere, but I'm sure more knowledgeable people than I will put us right.

Mogweed.

peter January 26th 06 02:09 PM

Alan wrote:

I'm having to bleed my radiators several times a day to reduce the
banging from the pump/boiler. There are no obvious leaks and I can't
find any damp areas. Does anyone have any advice on how I could solve
this problem?

I used to have to bleed my radiators often. When I had my boiler and
cylinder replaced the plumber recommended that he convert the system to
a sealed system - ie adding a pressure vessel in place of the header
tank. Since then I have had no trouble at all with air in the system.