DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Earth terminal (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/141977-earth-terminal.html)

[email protected] January 26th 06 12:17 AM

Earth terminal

The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the eath wire require
connecting to the sockets from this ternminal. It seems redundant to me
serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.

TIA

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 26th 06 12:43 AM

Earth terminal

wrote:
The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the eath wire
require connecting to the sockets from this ternminal. It seems
redundant to me serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.

TIA

Its about as much use as a fridge to an Eskimo. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John Rumm January 26th 06 12:57 AM

Earth terminal

wrote:

The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the eath wire require
connecting to the sockets from this ternminal. It seems redundant to me
serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.

It is just there to "park" an earth wire when required (e.g. in a
lightswitch).

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

David Hansen January 26th 06 09:10 AM

Earth terminal

On 25 Jan 2006 16:17:34 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the eath wire require
connecting to the sockets from this ternminal.

No, it goes straight to the terminal on the socket on a plastic box.
On a metal box a flying earth lead should go from the terminal on
the socket to the one on the box, to preserve earth continuity if
the screws are lose or not present.

It seems redundant to me
serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.

On a light switch it generally serves as somewhere to connect the
earth lead without the possibility of it working lose and making
contact with an energised terminal. If a plastic switch is replaced
with a metal one then the earth lead is also neatly ready to be
connected to the terminal on the switch.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Dave Liquorice January 26th 06 10:04 AM

Earth terminal

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:43:48 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the eath wire
require connecting to the sockets from this ternminal. It seems
redundant to me serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.

I'd run the earth wires from the cables direct to the sockets and put
a jumper from the socket to the back box. I wouldn't be at all
suprised to find that you *have* to fit this jumper even with a
plastic back box.

Its about as much use as a fridge to an Eskimo. ;-)

A fridge could be very useful to an Eskimo, to stop things freezing.
Might have to reverse the heat pump though. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 26th 06 11:40 AM

Earth terminal

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:43:48 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the eath wire
require connecting to the sockets from this ternminal. It seems
redundant to me serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.

I'd run the earth wires from the cables direct to the sockets and put
a jumper from the socket to the back box. I wouldn't be at all
suprised to find that you *have* to fit this jumper even with a
plastic back box.

Its about as much use as a fridge to an Eskimo. ;-)

A fridge could be very useful to an Eskimo, to stop things freezing.
Might have to reverse the heat pump though. B-)

So your the cause of global warming. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Jim Gregory January 26th 06 04:45 PM

Earth terminal

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:43:48 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the earth wire
require connecting to the sockets from this ternminal? It seems
redundant to me - serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.

I'd run the earth wires from the cables direct to the sockets and put
a jumper from the sockets to the back box. I wouldn't be at all
suprised to find that you *have* to fit this jumper even with a
plastic back box.

It's about as much use as a fridge is to an Eskimo. ;-)

A fridge could be very useful to an Eskimo, to stop things freezing.
Might have to reverse the heat pump though. B-)

So you're the cause of global warming. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The expression often employed to show uselessness is "about as useful as a
chocolate teapot!"
Jim

Dave Plowman (News) January 26th 06 11:12 PM

Earth terminal

In article .com,
wrote:
The earth terminal inside plastic patresses.

Define patress?

Does the eath wire require connecting to the sockets from this
ternminal. It seems redundant to me serving no purpose at all except
just a terminal.

If using a plastic lighting switch with no earth required or terminal
provided it's simply a make off point for the TW&E earth for possible
later use with a metal switch, etc.

Surely this is obvious?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.