DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   trying to recognise half inch bsp thread (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/141885-trying-recognise-half-inch-bsp-thread.html)

[email protected] January 25th 06 04:00 PM

trying to recognise half inch bsp thread

I have an old plumbing elbow, female both ends, it looks like half inch
bsp to me but is there a way to double check please. Just for info it
will thread on to a 15mm compression joint thread.
Thanks

PS The inside diameter is about three quarters inch

John Stumbles January 25th 06 04:52 PM

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:00:08 -0800, wrote:

I have an old plumbing elbow, female both ends, it looks like half inch
bsp to me but is there a way to double check please. Just for info it
will thread on to a 15mm compression joint thread.

Then it probbaly is. How accurately do you need to know?
(It could be a taper rather than parallel thread)

Baz January 25th 06 04:56 PM

trying to recognise half inch bsp thread

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old plumbing elbow, female both ends, it looks like half inch
bsp to me but is there a way to double check please. Just for info it
will thread on to a 15mm compression joint thread.
Thanks

PS The inside diameter is about three quarters inch

Hi Tec.
The OD of 1/2" BSP is just over 21mm.
Baz

Roger January 25th 06 06:06 PM

trying to recognise half inch bsp thread

The message .com
from " contains
these words:

I have an old plumbing elbow, female both ends, it looks like half inch
bsp to me but is there a way to double check please. Just for info it
will thread on to a 15mm compression joint thread.
Thanks

PS The inside diameter is about three quarters inch

Half inch bsp is 14 turns per inch. My source confusingly quotes the
dimensions in metric:

Pitch 1.814
Major diameter 20.455
Minor diameter 18.631 (0.73")

--
Roger Chapman

[email protected] January 25th 06 06:20 PM

trying to recognise half inch bsp thread

Roger wrote:
The message .com
from " contains
these words:

I have an old plumbing elbow, female both ends, it looks like half inch
bsp to me but is there a way to double check please. Just for info it
will thread on to a 15mm compression joint thread.
Thanks

PS The inside diameter is about three quarters inch

Half inch bsp is 14 turns per inch. My source confusingly quotes the
dimensions in metric:

Pitch 1.814
Major diameter 20.455
Minor diameter 18.631 (0.73")

--
Roger Chapman

Thanks for the help.
Usuing a high tech ruler across the ends your metric measurements
appear to match my sample. Half inch bsp it is then. I wonder where the
half inch size comes from....

[email protected] January 25th 06 06:21 PM

trying to recognise half inch bsp thread

Roger wrote:
The message .com
from " contains
these words:

Roger January 25th 06 07:27 PM

trying to recognise half inch bsp thread

The message .com
from " contains
these words:

Half inch bsp is 14 turns per inch. My source confusingly quotes the
dimensions in metric:

Pitch 1.814
Major diameter 20.455
Minor diameter 18.631 (0.73")

--
Roger Chapman

Thanks for the help.
Usuing a high tech ruler across the ends your metric measurements
appear to match my sample. Half inch bsp it is then. I wonder where the
half inch size comes from....

Don't forget to check the pitch as well. Not likely to be anything else
but ...

The half inch is the bore of the thick walled iron pipe the male threads
are usually to be found on.

--
Roger Chapman

Andy Wade January 25th 06 09:45 PM

Roger wrote:

Half inch bsp is 14 turns per inch. My source confusingly quotes the
dimensions in metric:

The threads formerly known as BSP are now officially metric threads: BS
21:1985 and EN 10226-1:2004 give the dimensions in metric units. Many
dimensions may just happen to be simple multiples or sub-multiples of
25.4, but that's just a coincidence ;~)

--
Andy