Posted to uk.d-i-y
AlexW

Default Clamp Guides ...

I have been looking at clamp guides for routing and circ. saws, at about
50" long. The ones I have seen are

Trend CGS.
Dakota (from Rutlands).
Axminster ProGrip (seems pretty similar to the Dakota).
Axminster Perform.

The trend is most expensive and has accessories available etc (around
£45). The Dakota is around half the price and has accessories available.
The Axminster is around the same price as the Dakota but no accessories.
The Perform clamps are half the price for a pair, no accessories.

Has anyone used any of these or have any other advice on the subject?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

AlexW wrote:
Has anyone used any of these or have any other advice on the subject?

Hi Alex

I have 1 24" one from Silverline Tools which seem identical to the Perform
and is almost exactly the same price. As a basic guide rail it does the job
very well. I use it mainly for routing dados, for cutting with a circular
saw I use a 'sawboard' http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm which you
can make yourself.

If you do, glue the guide ripper along the centre of the base & trim both
side to give room for clamps.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AlexW

david lang wrote:
AlexW wrote:

Has anyone used any of these or have any other advice on the subject?

Hi Alex

I have 1 24" one from Silverline Tools which seem identical to the Perform
and is almost exactly the same price. As a basic guide rail it does the job
very well. I use it mainly for routing dados, for cutting with a circular
saw I use a 'sawboard' http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm which you
can make yourself.

If you do, glue the guide ripper along the centre of the base & trim both
side to give room for clamps.

Dave

Cheers for the info. I'll keep an eye out for the silverline ones.

BTW: I have a sawboard for longer cuts with the circ saw. Its made from
ply (machined edge to saw plate edge) - works well, and for pennies. I
am craving for the smoothness of extruded ali for "middle" length cuts
and routing though.

Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:37:59 +0000, AlexW wrote:

Axminster Perform.

Worthless 8-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"AlexW" wrote in message
I have been looking at clamp guides for routing and circ. saws, at about
50" long. The ones I have seen are

Trend CGS.
Dakota (from Rutlands).
Axminster ProGrip (seems pretty similar to the Dakota).
Axminster Perform.

The trend is most expensive and has accessories available etc (around
£45). The Dakota is around half the price and has accessories available.
The Axminster is around the same price as the Dakota but no accessories.
The Perform clamps are half the price for a pair, no accessories.

Has anyone used any of these or have any other advice on the subject?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

===============
I have these: http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...tr=CLAMP+GUIDE

They're quite satisfactory and half the the price of some others. Don't
rely
too much on the clamping ability.

Cic.

It has removed 108 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AlexW

Cicero wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

snip-me/

===============
I have these: http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...tr=CLAMP+GUIDE

They're quite satisfactory and half the the price of some others. Don't
rely
too much on the clamping ability.

Cic.

snip/

Thanks, the guiding aspect is more important than clamping ability as I
have a few bigg-ish 0.3 to 1.2m clamps.

Alex.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
AlexW

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:37:59 +0000, AlexW wrote:

Axminster Perform.

Worthless 8-(

Cheers ... is this based on brand or actual experience with thes clamps.
If latter was it clamp or guide (i.e. not straight edged?) aspect that
was lacking.

Alex.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:08:56 +0000, AlexW wrote:

If latter was it clamp or guide (i.e. not straight edged?) aspect that
was lacking.

Clamps were unimpressive and the guide was particularly bendy.

In general I've been impressed with the yellow Perform stuff and
disappointed in their White hand power tools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:37:59 +0000, AlexW wrote:

I have been looking at clamp guides for routing and circ. saws, at about
50" long. The ones I have seen are

Trend CGS.
Dakota (from Rutlands).
Axminster ProGrip (seems pretty similar to the Dakota).
Axminster Perform.

The trend is most expensive and has accessories available etc (around
£45). The Dakota is around half the price and has accessories available.
The Axminster is around the same price as the Dakota but no accessories.
The Perform clamps are half the price for a pair, no accessories.

Has anyone used any of these or have any other advice on the subject?

I have several of the Trend ones and they work well.

I use them principally with a hand circular saw or a router. I also
have a version that takes UHMW plastic plates into the rail, upon
which such tools can be bolted. This works very well.

My only slight criticism is that there are little fibre protectors
which protect the work from the clamps. These are free to move on a
circular rod underneath the clamp but can be pulled off rather easily.
This is not a big issue, but if left on, they can be popped off of the
rod and lost if the clamp is caught on something for example. I
therefore tend to take them off and pop then in a drawer rather than
leaving them on the clamps. OTOH, they are really consumable items
and need to be changed easily, so it's difficult to see how else this
could be done. However, even though I am something of a
perfectionist on things like this, and this would not dissuade me from
buying more of these.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]