DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   'Mould' in cold watertap upstairs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/140504-mould-cold-watertap-upstairs.html)

sander January 16th 06 05:48 PM

'Mould' in cold watertap upstairs

For some reason the taps upstairs have black mould accumulating (only the
cold water ones), the same for the showerhead whilst downstairs we do not
have this problem.

Would anyone have an idea to what this could cause, I was thinking cold
water tank in loft, pipes etc.

Any advise will be helpful. If the water tank, what can be done to clean
this?

Thanks

Peter Parry January 16th 06 06:09 PM

'Mould' in cold watertap upstairs

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:48:33 -0600,
wrote:

For some reason the taps upstairs have black mould accumulating (only the
cold water ones), the same for the showerhead whilst downstairs we do not
have this problem.

Would anyone have an idea to what this could cause, I was thinking cold
water tank in loft, pipes etc.

It is probably airborne mould growing on condensation or a slightly
leaky tap, it is probably fairly widespread but not noticeable
elsewhere. The shower head and cold tap remain damp for some time
after use and this allows more mould to grow on them. The airborne
moulds proliferate in moist air so it might be worth investing in a
hygrometer and measuring the relative humidity. If it is high then
improving the ventilation in the house should be the first priority.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/