DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chattering selenoid valve on Boiler (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/140071-chattering-selenoid-valve-boiler.html)

Merryterry January 13th 06 04:33 PM

Chattering selenoid valve on Boiler

Hi.

I have a Worcester Bosch oil fired boiler about 6 years old. During the
winter only the selenoid valve on the oil inlet chatters and makes a
helluva noise. In the warmer weather it is as quiet as a lamb. I live
in a country area and suspect that the mains voltage is dropping due to
more load on the overhead cables that feed our village. How can I check
and is there a statutary voltage that the supplier must meet?

John Rumm January 13th 06 11:14 PM

Merryterry wrote:

I have a Worcester Bosch oil fired boiler about 6 years old. During the
winter only the selenoid valve on the oil inlet chatters and makes a
helluva noise. In the warmer weather it is as quiet as a lamb. I live

Had a similar problem with a mates gas fire recently. It turned out that
water had got into the coil on the valve. Replaced the coil an it was
fine. (he also has a low mains voltage problem - which did not seem to
affect the repaired valve though).

in a country area and suspect that the mains voltage is dropping due to
more load on the overhead cables that feed our village. How can I check
and is there a statutary voltage that the supplier must meet?

230V +10%/-6% (i.e. 216 - 253V)

--
Cheers,

John.