Owain

Default bbc2 series - homes, interiors and style

"John Jardine" wrote
| Actually, Endomol are looking for

who isn't :-)

| fit and attractive spoilt kiddies, (preferably blonde) who
| have wealthy husbands and a lot of free time on their
| unspoilt, lily white hands.

Owain

ANt

heh...let's hope nobody takes..

'please email or call on
0208 222 4757 for a friendly chat.'

....and posts it to alt.fetish :-0
John Smith

In the current climate it could be a very popular series. How many drabe
shades of grey can you paint this bunker?

BTW, anyone else notice that for the last 18 months all these shows have
been telling people to paint everything beige/cream and now, only this week,
one show that had preached this message was saying how awful everything
painted, um, beige/cream is!

How about combining "War Walks" or that new series on the invasion^W
liberation of Iraq with a property show, to make "My Favourite Bunker"?

--
Paul

Peter Ashby

In article ,
"John Smith" wrote:

BTW, anyone else notice that for the last 18 months all these shows have
been telling people to paint everything beige/cream and now, only this week,
one show that had preached this message was saying how awful everything
painted, um, beige/cream is!

I get depressed when I watch that House Doctor program. That woman takes
people's homes and turns them into 3 star hotel rooms. Beige walls,
anonymous pictures, no evidence of individuality. I find it depressing
that people looking at houses can't see possibilities without being
presented with what is a bland canvas.

I would love a program following up these house buyers a couple of years
down the line. I bet that 3 star hotel room look is gone in most of them.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
IMM

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"John Smith" wrote:

BTW, anyone else notice that for the last 18 months all these shows have
been telling people to paint everything beige/cream and now, only this

week,
one show that had preached this message was saying how awful everything
painted, um, beige/cream is!

I get depressed when I watch that House Doctor program. That woman takes
people's homes and turns them into 3 star hotel rooms. Beige walls,
anonymous pictures, no evidence of individuality. I find it depressing
that people looking at houses can't see possibilities without being
presented with what is a bland canvas.

That is what sells, as the progs prove. I can see potential of any house. I
can visualise what a awful looking room looks like when decorated properly.
Most can't.

---

IMM

"John Smith" wrote in message

Just before the dot.con crash the BBC suddenly had loads of programmes on
with American financial 'gurus' - why do they always employ Yanks on these
financial and style programmes - telling us to invest in shares and set up
share clubs, etc. Of course, by the time the BBC luvvies had cottoned onto
the rising share market the bubble was on the verge of bursting.

You can see the same thing happening now re all the house buying/selling
programmes they are running.

The property market is not bursting.

---

John Smith

What is truly depressing nowadays is that if you DON'T paint your house all
beige, chuck out most of your furniture and replace it with a beige sofa no
one will want to buy your house.

Instead of people going into a house, using their own imaginations and
thinking what potential it has they now expect to see showroom conditions
even in a 100 plus year old house.

"John Smith" wrote:

[...]

John Smith

People who don't understand economics are the only ones saying the housing
market is not going to go bust. People think low interest rates means that
house prices will not crash - this shows a lack of understanding. Crashes,
anyhow, in housing happen suddenly and violently. Houses in Japan are now
worth about 90% less than 10 years ago and they have effective 0% interest
rates. In 1911 UK house prices fell 92% in one year.

The Economist mag had a 16 page article a few weeks back saying they think
we will be lucky to get away with a 25% - 30% crash here in the UK. It said
to roll up the Economist and hit anyone over the head with it who says
different.

Anyhow, this is a DIY forum.

J.

"Capitol" wrote in message
It is in Essex! The treasury had great difficulty selling government debt
this week, the retail inflation rate hit an annualised rate of 7% in

June,
how long before interest rates rise?
Regards
Capitol

IMM wrote in message ...

"John Smith" wrote in message

Just before the dot.con crash the BBC suddenly had loads of programmes

on
with American financial 'gurus' - why do they always employ Yanks on

these
financial and style programmes - telling us to invest in shares and set

up
share clubs, etc. Of course, by the time the BBC luvvies had cottoned

onto
the rising share market the bubble was on the verge of bursting.

You can see the same thing happening now re all the house

buying/selling
programmes they are running.

The property market is not bursting.

---

Conrad Edwards

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , louisa
writes
Endemol Television are making a brand new series about style and
interiors for BBC2 reflecting the nations taste and style through
Britain's homes. This primetime BBC2 series is currently looking for
women with a strong sense of style, fashion and flair to take part:
women who not only take pride in their appearance and who like to look
good but who have also put a great deal of time, effort and thought
into the way in which they have decorated their homes - I would
particularly love to hear from women who are not afraid to use bold
colours or very modern decor in their homes.

Why not just put on loads of Charlie Dimmock digging holes and getting wet.....

Jim Ley

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:09:24 +0100, "John Smith"
wrote:

People who don't understand economics are the only ones saying the housing
market is not going to go bust. People think low interest rates means that
house prices will not crash - this shows a lack of understanding. Crashes,
anyhow, in housing happen suddenly and violently. Houses in Japan are now
worth about 90% less than 10 years ago and they have effective 0% interest
rates. In 1911 UK house prices fell 92% in one year.

Japan does not have 0% interest rates, with deflation of 3%, then even
0% interest rates cost 3% in real terms. Just like South Africa's 10%
interest rates looks extremely scary, but is actually more servicable
than our rates, once you take into account relatively inflation rates.

A crash is of course possible, even likely, I don't disagree with
that.

The Economist mag had a 16 page article a few weeks back saying they think
we will be lucky to get away with a 25% - 30% crash here in the UK. It said
to roll up the Economist and hit anyone over the head with it who says
different.

No, it said prices had to fall by 20% to meet the long term average,
and it expected such an overshoot
Jim Ley

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:48:19 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message
Houses in Japan are now
worth about 90% less than 10 years
ago

10% less in 10 years? Hardly a crash.

90% _less_

The Economist mag had a 16 page
article a few weeks back saying they think
we will be lucky to get away with a
25% - 30% crash here in the UK.

The Economist! Read proper papers not politically leaning
rags.

The economist has a libertarian bias, not a conservative one.

Jim.
IMM

"Jim Ley" wrote in message

The Economist! Read proper papers not politically leaning
rags.

The economist has a libertarian bias, not a conservative one.

Please!!

---

Julian Fowler

Default property market (was bbc2 series - homes, interiors and style)

wrote:

People who don't understand economics are the only ones saying the housing
market is not going to go bust.

See http://tinyurl.com/g0uw - which suggests that the market may be
cooling off, but with no sign of "going bust".

People think low interest rates means that
house prices will not crash - this shows a lack of understanding.

Low interest rates, coupled with low wage inflation, mean that people
cannot "grow into" mortgages that they can't really afford.

Crashes,
anyhow, in housing happen suddenly and violently. Houses in Japan are now
worth about 90% less than 10 years ago

I think that you mean that they are worth 90% of that they were worth
10 years ago. Even in a well-ordered society like Japan, I suspect
that a 90% fall (i.e., a house purchased for equiv of £200K in 1993
now being worth £20K) would be the cause a popular revolution!

and they have effective 0% interest
rates.

.... but in a deflationary economy.

In 1911 UK house prices fell 92% in one year.

Reference? Or, again, do you mean that prices in 1912 were 92% of
those in 1911?

The Economist mag had a 16 page article a few weeks back saying they think
we will be lucky to get away with a 25% - 30% crash here in the UK.

Which will primarily affect those who (a) buy houses as part of a
make-money-quick approach to life, rather than as somewhere to live
over a substantial period of time, and (b) live in the SE of England.
Only those areas that have had hyper-price inflation on property are
likely to see equivalent falls. The rest of us will quietly smug when
this happens :-)

Julian

--
Julian Fowler
Jim Ley

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:04:36 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Jim Ley" wrote in message

The Economist! Read proper papers not politically leaning
rags.

The economist has a libertarian bias, not a conservative one.

Please!!

Legalisation of drugs is not a Conservative issue... yet is an
Economist one.

Jim.
IMM

"Jim Ley" wrote in message

The Economist! Read proper papers not politically leaning
rags.

The economist has a libertarian bias, not a conservative one.

Please!!

Legalisation of drugs is not a Conservative issue... yet is an
Economist one.

Ever heard of stealth? A tactic the Tories have used for centuries,
otherwise how could such a party, which is primarily concerned at keeping a
certain layer of society well heeled and in control, exist?

---

Jim Ley

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:41:45 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Jim Ley" wrote in message

The Economist! Read proper papers not politically leaning
rags.

The economist has a libertarian bias, not a conservative one.

Please!!

Legalisation of drugs is not a Conservative issue... yet is an
Economist one.

Ever heard of stealth?

Hey? Please explain... You're saying that the economist doesn't want
legalisation of drugs, but they're trying to appeal to the segment of
the market that does and then ram Conservative propaganda down their
throats?

I can't help imagining that newspapers other than the economist would
be more appropriate for this, as those people who read the economist
if denied a libertarian voice are likely to vote on the free trade
aspect of libertarianism more than anything else, so I can't see the
need for the propaganda.

Jim.
Grunff

Jim Ley wrote:

Hey? Please explain... You're saying that the economist doesn't want
legalisation of drugs, but they're trying to appeal to the segment of
the market that does and then ram Conservative propaganda down their
throats?

I can't help imagining that newspapers other than the economist would
be more appropriate for this, as those people who read the economist
if denied a libertarian voice are likely to vote on the free trade
aspect of libertarianism more than anything else, so I can't see the
need for the propaganda.

No Jim..Nooooooo.....

Don't get IMM started - you have *no idea* what you're getting into.

Just google for IMM or International Man of Mystery.

--
Grunff

Gnube

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:15:45 +0100, Julian Fowler
wrote:

Hmmm ... not sure how appropriate this ng is for such a programme.
I'm probably not far wrong in saying that when a typical d-i-y-er
chooses between different paints, the main criteria a

* which brand of brilliant white
* matt or silk
* liquid or non-drip

So THAT's what living dangerously looks like! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube

geoff

In message , Capitol
writes
It is in Essex! The treasury had great difficulty selling government debt
this week, the retail inflation rate hit an annualised rate of 7% in June,
how long before interest rates rise?
Regards
Capitol

So that's why they've put 7 gatzos in each direction between J26 and J27
of the M25 - to cream a bit back from you

--
geoff
geoff

In message , John
Smith writes
People who don't understand economics are the only ones saying the housing
market is not going to go bust. People think low interest rates means that
house prices will not crash - this shows a lack of understanding. Crashes,
anyhow, in housing happen suddenly and violently. Houses in Japan are now
worth about 90% less than 10 years ago and they have effective 0% interest
rates. In 1911 UK house prices fell 92% in one year.

The Economist mag had a 16 page article a few weeks back saying they think
we will be lucky to get away with a 25% - 30% crash here in the UK. It said
to roll up the Economist and hit anyone over the head with it who says
different.

Anyhow, this is a DIY forum.

J.

Your point being ...?
--
geoff
Paul C. Dickie

In article , geoff
writes
In message , ANt
writes
heh...let's hope nobody takes..
'please email or call on
0208 222 4757 for a friendly chat.'
...and posts it to alt.fetish :-0

Nah - email it to mr Chumbawumba (or whoever) of the nigerian scam

The latest "419" scam seems to have a God-bothering slant:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Cut Here =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
From: Deacon Momoh
Subject: Remain Blessed!
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:41:03 -0700

I am in anticipation of your reply and I am standing on Malachi 3:10
where our Lord Jesus has decree that we should bring tithes and
offering to his store house, he convinced us that he will open the
windows of heavens and bless us most abudantly. I am a retired Director
general of Ministry of aviation and transport and presently the
managing director of Solomon consultancy firm and Solomon foundation
Inc not until last two years I was practically in the world. Due
largely to the counseling of my wife and by the grace of our Lord Jesus
Christ I confessed Jesus as my personal Lord and saviour and I became a
member Redeemed pillar fire ministry and the man of God Pastor Ellias
counseled me for deliverance which I did for a period of 30 days, for
God said in Obadiah 1:17, that upon mountain Zion there will be
deliverance, after which holiness and one can posses his possessions
that already I have claimed as my portion. During my thanksgiving that
proceedeth prayer session in my ministry, our Lord ministered to me
concerning my funds in Europe to invest it in His work and I proceed to
posses my possessions. I related with the Elders of my ministry and
Pastors of my ministry to direct me. Five names and ministries were
nominated and we all prayed for God's divine confirmation which he did
at the third/3rd day. Already all arrangements have been concluded with
the Finance house in where they were deposited, for the direct payment
of the funds $15million us dollars to you. All you need do is to
furnish me with your full names,address, Telephone & Fax numbers in
order to appropriate the document with the Finance house in Europe for
onward payment to you. Then I will be able to confirm to you Brother in
Lord the code access number to contact the Finance House for the fund.I
thank God for his Grace upon my life and for making me to know our Lord
Jesus Christ,Glory be to God.Be informed that this fund is strictly for
the work of God and other investment that will Glorify God.
Remain Blessed
Deacon John Momoh.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Cut Here =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

My reply was simply "Isaiah 36, v12."

--
Paul
John Smith

My point being that no amount of beige paint is going to stop the UK housing
market falling off a cliff in the next 2 - 3 years.

J.

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John
Smith writes