DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rayburn efficiency? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/139928-rayburn-efficiency.html)

Andy Hall January 15th 06 12:29 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On 15 Jan 2006 03:58:33 -0800, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 15 Jan 2006 01:50:27 -0800,
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 14 Jan 2006 08:03:11 -0800,
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Contrast this with our former arrangement of a fan oven and gas hob,
it could work out that when cooking a complex meal that 10-12kW or
more is released from this lot. Then the windows have to be opened
wide to maintain a sensible temperature. That's what I call a waste.

My last gas bill shows 336KWh for the quarter which is about 3.3KW per
day.
Your estimate equals 16.8 KW per day. Thats what I call waste.

No, because the heat is virtually all used within the house and may be
subtracted from the consumption of the other heating systems.

So, if my gas cooker was 1/5th as efficient this would be a good thing
as "the heat is virtually all used within the house and may be
subtracted from the consumption of the other heating systems"? Righto
I'll make a point of leaving it on unecessarily, and remove all the
insulation from around the oven!
cheers
Jacob

I think that you must have missed my point.

Yes I have - what is it exactly? You have certainly missed mine!

Very simply that the rate of heat production is important because at
low rate it is usable for space heating, whereas at a high rate it may
well not be.

--

..andy

Andy Hall January 15th 06 12:35 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:10:56 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
owdman wrote:
John wrote:
[lots of stuff about Agas & Rayburns]

Or quicker and simpler - go out and buy a proper cooker!

Don't think I've ever heard of a quality restaurant (or a crap one,
even) using Agas or Rayburns to cook for their customers.. presumably
they use inferior cookers to cook their superior food.. LOL.

That's a rather stupid remark.

Coming from you with your arguments, that's a bit rich.

No it isn't. My points are perfectly sound. If you don't wish or are
unable to think laterally, then there is little I can do about that.

Obviously the scale is very different. Commercial restaurants don't
use domestic cookers either.

Neither do they use commercial versions of Agas/Rayburns, do they.

Of course not. I didn't say that a storage cooker was appropriate
for large commercial scale cooking. Your argument is equivalent to
suggesting that a car is of no use because it can't reasonably be used
to stock a supermarket.

There are, however, a few small country house hotels around which do
use an Aga for cooking because their customers appreciate it.

You mean B&Bs.

No I mean what I wrote.

--

..andy

Mary Fisher January 15th 06 12:35 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 15 Jan 2006 01:50:27 -0800, wrote:

A conventional set up of a cooker or a cooker and hob is quite
different. Firstly, insulation is comparatively poor for the oven and
large amounts of heat (2-3kW) are released into the room when it is
running. Secondly, the designs are poor. The one-size-fits-all fan
oven is one of the worst services to proper cooking ever invented.

Oh I disagree with that! I'm very satisfied with mine, it gives
consistently better, more reliable results than any gas cooker I've ever
had.

It
limits the range of temperatures available

The temperature range on mine hasn't been found wanting for any of my
demands on it. And I'm very demanding.

and dries the food badly.

Eh?

Mary

Mary Fisher January 15th 06 12:37 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

unlike Aga owners I can cook.

That's a very silly thing to say.

Peter Parry January 15th 06 12:38 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:22:03 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

The Aga produces heat at a virtually constant rate of around 700W.

It is released in part in the kitchen and in part from the lower parts
of the flue where it usefully warms the house.

Just what's really needed between June and September.

The cooking techniques are different from conventional cookers in that
there are a wide range of temperatures available across the four ovens
and a large proportion of cooking operations that would be done on the
top on a conventional cooker are done in the ovens. Thus, the top
plates, proportionately, are not used as much as the ovens.

The cooking technique is exactly the same as any other oven/hob. The
deficiencies of the Aga hotplates and the total lack of control over
their temperature means things you would normally do on a hob you
have no choice but to do in an oven. You can do exactly the same in
any other oven.

A conventional set up of a cooker or a cooker and hob is quite
different. Firstly, insulation is comparatively poor for the oven and
large amounts of heat (2-3kW) are released into the room when it is
running.

Ultimately every conventional oven, no matter what its insulation,
sheds all its heat into the room it is in. The Aga is somewhat
different in that it puts some of its heat out of the chimney to heat
the world and dumps the remaining heat out into the room 24/7 whether
or not it is needed.

Secondly, the designs are poor. The one-size-fits-all fan
oven is one of the worst services to proper cooking ever invented. It
limits the range of temperatures available and dries the food badly.

I'm not sure how you call control from 40 deg to 240deg "limiting the
range of temperature available" but its a greater range and more
controllable than an Aga. As for drying food out badly - mine
doesn't at all. It is no different in that respect from an Aga, and
I used one of those dreadful things for a couple of years.

There needs to be much more use of the hob.

You are able to use the hob more, you don't have to.

At around 2-3kW per
burner, it is very easy to be producing 10-12kW released into a small
space in the kitchen while cooking.

Not unless you are trying to process a horse all at once. I'm not
sure what you would cook which requires all four burners on full
power continuously for 3 hours but it wouldn't be a meal most people
would recognise. If I'm cooking a fairly formal meal for 6 people it
will take about 4-5kW/hr, a normal evening meal closer to 1-3kW/hr

That is the essential point. There is no value in having this amount
of heat released into a small space because it will overheat it,
necessitating opening of the windows.

In the summer I frequently open the windows, in the winter never.
For the times of the year when the heating is on it is never
necessary to open a window when cooking.

At that point, the heat is
wasted. This is a very different proposition to having 700W released
on a continuous basis and forming part of the heating of the house.

I really want a 1kW fire burning non stop in the kitchen all through
the summer.

If
you think about the amount of heat required to heat a room in a
typical house (whatever that is), it is generally much closer to 700W
than 10kW.

If I want to heat a house I'll buy an efficient heater I can control.
Buying an inefficient heater with no control makes no sense. THere
may be social reasons for buying an Aga, there are neither culinary
nor efficiency ones.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Andy Hall January 15th 06 12:42 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:06:24 +0000, Chris Bacon

Andy Hall wrote:
[ about Agas/Rayburns ]
I think that you must have missed my point.

Yes I have - what is it exactly?

That, flying in the face of reality as shown by replies here, and
other *real world* experience, he's right, and everyone else is wrong?

Do you actually have an Aga, or have you ever used or lived in a house
with one? If you haven't, then how would you be in a position to
comment either way?

I have made the point, and so did TNP, that an Aga can contribute
usefully to the space heating of the house. In that respect, when
one takes the broad view, rather than the narrow one that you have, it
is an efficient way of providing some of the space heating.

I also pointed out, that IME, it is a great way to cook once you learn
the techniques. I found that pretty easy, not everybody does.

Some people feel that they can only cook on a gas flame that they can
turn up and down because that is the only way they can control what's
going on. For them, that may be the case, but it certainly is not
the only way to do so.

You have certainly missed mine!

There's none so blind as those that *will not* see.

Quite.

--

..andy

Steve Firth January 15th 06 12:44 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:01:17 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

On a day like today, when it's cold and drizzling outside, it's a real
pleasure to come in from an early morning walk, warm up, dry out and
have some toast of unassailable quality prepared on the Aga.

Funny how when Aga owners rant about their cookers the selling points
seem to be toast, stews and keeping the pets warm.

I don't need to sell anything in terms of cookers. Aga toast toast
is legendary,

And also the only advantage that Aga users can think of. It's also a
downright load of old ******** since I get better toast out of a toaster.

it is true; however one can cook anything else very well
also, and certainly better than can be achieved in fan ovens and the
like.

Bull.

Personally I don't
think that's worth the energy costs, but then again, unlike Aga owners I
can cook.

Generally people who criticise storage cookers have never tried one or
read something in a magazine, both of which make their comments
meaningless.

You pull that one every time I cxriticise Agas. I've owned both Agas and
Rayburns. I've also removed them for the inefficient pointless piles of
crap they are.

If they have tried one, then either they had a very
old or badly set up one or themselves are unable to cook, since it is
really very easy.

And very limited. No decent progessional chef uses and Aga. The ovens
are too small, and the temperature is never right.

Aga owners cook in a particular way, the food they produce is **** but
they are used to eating it.

Steve Firth January 15th 06 12:45 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

Andy Hall wrote:

There are, however, a few small country house hotels around which do
use an Aga for cooking because their customers appreciate it.

Name one.

Andy Hall January 15th 06 12:51 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:35:24 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On 15 Jan 2006 01:50:27 -0800, wrote:

A conventional set up of a cooker or a cooker and hob is quite
different. Firstly, insulation is comparatively poor for the oven and
large amounts of heat (2-3kW) are released into the room when it is
running. Secondly, the designs are poor. The one-size-fits-all fan
oven is one of the worst services to proper cooking ever invented.

Oh I disagree with that! I'm very satisfied with mine, it gives
consistently better, more reliable results than any gas cooker I've ever
had.

I wan't really comparing with conventional gas cookers though.

It
limits the range of temperatures available

The temperature range on mine hasn't been found wanting for any of my
demands on it. And I'm very demanding.

and dries the food badly.

Eh?

The (Neff) one that we had certainly did.

--

..andy

Andy Hall January 15th 06 01:35 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

The Aga produces heat at a virtually constant rate of around 700W.

It is released in part in the kitchen and in part from the lower parts
of the flue where it usefully warms the house.

Just what's really needed between June and September.

It can be. We found this last year that there were very few days
when a low level of background heating wasn't appreciated.

The cooking techniques are different from conventional cookers in that
there are a wide range of temperatures available across the four ovens
and a large proportion of cooking operations that would be done on the
top on a conventional cooker are done in the ovens. Thus, the top
plates, proportionately, are not used as much as the ovens.

The cooking technique is exactly the same as any other oven/hob.

No it isn't. The ovens are used for many more things with the Aga
because of the versatility and range of temperatures available.

The
deficiencies of the Aga hotplates and the total lack of control over
their temperature means things you would normally do on a hob you
have no choice but to do in an oven.

Certainly not. It is not the temperature of the plates themselves
that actually matters (although there are two plates), but the rate of
heat transfer to the pans. The plates are substantially larger, and
one can easily fit pans partly on or partly off them. Therefore, one
can have a greater range of control with more pans than can be
achieved on a typical 4 burner hob. This is evidenced by how easy it
is to prepare things involving very gentle heating such as sauces and
anything where very gentle simmering of milk without risk of boiling
over is needed. Moreover, there is a warming area which is ideal for
melting chocolate or butter. There is no messing around with basins
in pans of water.

You can do exactly the same in
any other oven.

The trouble is that you can't because you don't have the wide ranges
of temperature available at the same time.

A conventional set up of a cooker or a cooker and hob is quite
different. Firstly, insulation is comparatively poor for the oven and
large amounts of heat (2-3kW) are released into the room when it is
running.

Ultimately every conventional oven, no matter what its insulation,
sheds all its heat into the room it is in. The Aga is somewhat
different in that it puts some of its heat out of the chimney to heat
the world and dumps the remaining heat out into the room 24/7 whether
or not it is needed.

It actually releases extremely little heat through the flue. If I
go into the loft, the flue from mine is barely warm to the touch.

In terms of space heating, for almost all of the year, having 700W or
so of heat released into the house as background warmth is beneficial.
I run the CH with night setback anyway, so this fits very well.

Secondly, the designs are poor. The one-size-fits-all fan
oven is one of the worst services to proper cooking ever invented. It
limits the range of temperatures available and dries the food badly.

I'm not sure how you call control from 40 deg to 240deg "limiting the
range of temperature available" but its a greater range and more
controllable than an Aga.

Very easily. I can have that range of temperatures continuously
available and they are used for cooking different things at different
speeds simultaneously. The control comes about from moving the items
to where you want them and how quickly you want the end result. In a
fan oven, there is little or no range of temperature at a point in
time, so much less flexibility. Either things have to be cooked
sequentially with the temperature varied to suit, or carefully timed
so that they are not finished too early or too late.

With the Aga, I have flexibility of temperature, of timing and of
position, and I also have places to maintain finished things without
deterioration if they do happen to finish early, which is rare

I can appreciate that some people have difficulty with this technique
and perhaps never master it. Neother of us had any difficulty at
all.

As for drying food out badly - mine
doesn't at all.

Then you are very lucky. Mine certainly did, and it's rather obvious
when one considers the effect of blowing air over things.

It is no different in that respect from an Aga, and
I used one of those dreadful things for a couple of years.

You must have had difficulty with use, because we found a huge benefit
in this respect.

There needs to be much more use of the hob.

You are able to use the hob more, you don't have to.

With a limited range of simultaneous temperatures and reading from
most recipe books, that is fairly inevitable.

At around 2-3kW per
burner, it is very easy to be producing 10-12kW released into a small
space in the kitchen while cooking.

Not unless you are trying to process a horse all at once. I'm not
sure what you would cook which requires all four burners on full
power continuously for 3 hours but it wouldn't be a meal most people
would recognise. If I'm cooking a fairly formal meal for 6 people it
will take about 4-5kW/hr, a normal evening meal closer to 1-3kW/hr

In a well insulated kitchen, it doesn't take very long for the release
of 10kW to heat it to the mid 30s - certainly not 3hrs.

That is the essential point. There is no value in having this amount
of heat released into a small space because it will overheat it,
necessitating opening of the windows.

In the summer I frequently open the windows, in the winter never.
For the times of the year when the heating is on it is never
necessary to open a window when cooking.

With the Aga, we seldom find it necessary to open the windows at all
from the perspective of losing some heat. Use of the ovens means that
the extractor doesn't get a lot of use either

At that point, the heat is
wasted. This is a very different proposition to having 700W released
on a continuous basis and forming part of the heating of the house.

I really want a 1kW fire burning non stop in the kitchen all through
the summer.

Do you?

Personally, I like the 700W or so of background heat in the evenings
because my kitchen is partly shaded and faces north.

If
you think about the amount of heat required to heat a room in a
typical house (whatever that is), it is generally much closer to 700W
than 10kW.

If I want to heat a house I'll buy an efficient heater I can control.
Buying an inefficient heater with no control makes no sense.

Really this perspective is all about control. In general, I like to
be in control of things as well. However, I also look at issues
laterally.

The first point is that a gas Aga with a conventional flue is very
efficient for space heating because almost all the heat is released
within the insulated envelope of the house. That is my definition of
efficiency for this purpose, although I can understand that for some
people "efficient" means something that can be immediately controlled.

The second point is that for virtually all of the year, I calculated
and found in practice, that 700W or more of heat is needed to maintain
the house at the temperatures that I would like. It is therefore
completely sensible and reasonable for that to be provided by the Aga
and supplemented with the CH system, which is able to modulate to very
low levels or off entirely. In fact there are very few evenings
through the year when the CH doesn't come on at very low level - at
the bottom end, the radiators may only warm to 40 degrees or so.

THere
may be social reasons for buying an Aga, there are neither culinary
nor efficiency ones.

I can understand that some people have difficulty with learning how to
use an Aga properly, or may have had experience of an old or badly
adjusted one. Equally, I can understand if they are uncomfortable
with the notion of something that they can't instantly control on or
off.

However, my experience is that they work well, contribute usefully to
space heating and produce excellent cooking results.

--

..andy

Andy Hall January 15th 06 01:48 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

On a day like today, when it's cold and drizzling outside, it's a real
pleasure to come in from an early morning walk, warm up, dry out and
have some toast of unassailable quality prepared on the Aga.
Funny how when Aga owners rant about their cookers the selling points
seem to be toast, stews and keeping the pets warm.

I don't need to sell anything in terms of cookers. Aga toast toast
is legendary,

And also the only advantage that Aga users can think of.

Actually, I could mention a whole range of food where the results are
better than from a hob and oven.

It's also a
downright load of old ******** since I get better toast out of a toaster.

Possibly for you that's true. At least with a toaster you only have
to put in the bread and press the button. On an Aga you do need to
warm the toasting grid first and check the toast periodically.

it is true; however one can cook anything else very well
also, and certainly better than can be achieved in fan ovens and the
like.

Bull.

I can only speak from experience and from that of others.

Personally I don't
think that's worth the energy costs, but then again, unlike Aga owners I
can cook.

Generally people who criticise storage cookers have never tried one or
read something in a magazine, both of which make their comments
meaningless.

You pull that one every time I cxriticise Agas. I've owned both Agas and
Rayburns. I've also removed them for the inefficient pointless piles of
crap they are.

Presumably because you didn't have properly set up ones or were unable
to deal with the cooking methods - not that difficult for most owners.

If they have tried one, then either they had a very
old or badly set up one or themselves are unable to cook, since it is
really very easy.

And very limited. No decent progessional chef uses and Aga.

In a commercial environment, obviously not. As I pointed out earlier,
supermarkets aren't stocked using a fleet of cars either.

The ovens
are too small, and the temperature is never right.

In fact, the volume of the ovens is quite large, and the continuously
available temperatures range over more than 200 degrees.

Perhaps yours needed servicing?

Aga owners cook in a particular way, the food they produce is **** but
they are used to eating it.

Well, my dinner guests would disagree with you.

Perhaps you produced **** when you had an Aga because you didn't take
the time and trouble to learn how to use it properly?

--

..andy

Andy Hall January 15th 06 01:49 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:45:32 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

There are, however, a few small country house hotels around which do
use an Aga for cooking because their customers appreciate it.

Name one.

If you look with Google, you will easily find several.

--

..andy

Steve Firth January 15th 06 02:06 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

Andy Hall wrote:

Well, my dinner guests would disagree with you.

Only because projectile vomiting after dinner is regarded as impolite.

Steve Firth January 15th 06 02:06 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

Andy Hall wrote:

unlike Aga owners I can cook.

That's a very silly thing to say.

Not half as silly as your reply.

Steve Firth January 15th 06 02:07 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

There are, however, a few small country house hotels around which do
use an Aga for cooking because their customers appreciate it.

Name one.

If you look with Google, you will easily find several.

Oh look, it's dIMM.

Name one or admit you lied.

Andy Hall January 15th 06 02:27 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:06:27 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Well, my dinner guests would disagree with you.

Only because projectile vomiting after dinner is regarded as impolite.

In that case, I would suggest that you refrain from doing it.

--

..andy

Mary Fisher January 15th 06 02:35 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:35:24 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..
On 15 Jan 2006 01:50:27 -0800, wrote:

A conventional set up of a cooker or a cooker and hob is quite
different. Firstly, insulation is comparatively poor for the oven and
large amounts of heat (2-3kW) are released into the room when it is
running. Secondly, the designs are poor. The one-size-fits-all fan
oven is one of the worst services to proper cooking ever invented.

Oh I disagree with that! I'm very satisfied with mine, it gives
consistently better, more reliable results than any gas cooker I've ever
had.

I wan't really comparing with conventional gas cookers though.

You said, "The one-size-fits-all fan oven is one of the worst services to
proper cooking ever invented"

That doesn't mention ANY particular type of cooker, it's all-embracing:-)

It
limits the range of temperatures available

The temperature range on mine hasn't been found wanting for any of my
demands on it. And I'm very demanding.

and dries the food badly.

Eh?

The (Neff) one that we had certainly did.

Ah, well now you're falling into the trap of some other posters, making a
general statement based on your personal experience and even with only one
model.

That's not sensible, is it?

Mary

--

.andy

S Viemeister January 15th 06 02:39 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:10:56 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:
You mean B&Bs.

No I mean what I wrote.

Many years ago, I often visited a friend whose parents ran Cringletie House
Hotel (near Peebles). Mrs Morris was a a truly excellent cook, and her Aga
was the first one I'd seen in use.

Sheila

Steve Firth January 15th 06 02:45 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Well, my dinner guests would disagree with you.

Only because projectile vomiting after dinner is regarded as impolite.

In that case, I would suggest that you refrain from doing it.

Not eating with those who cook using an Aga is the first step.

Peter Parry January 15th 06 02:49 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:23:51 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

I don't need to sell anything in terms of cookers. Aga toast toast
is legendary,

It is certainly a legend, straight from their advertising literature.
I've had and made lots of "Aga toast" and it's exactly the same as
any other toast done under a grill. Lightly burning bread isn't
exactly difficult to do.

it is true; however one can cook anything else very well
also,

As the Aga lacks any form of controllable hob, has wildly fluctuating
oven temperatures and has no grill there are many things which can't
be done on it as well as on a conventional oven. Serious grilling of
any sort and stir frying are two obvious examples (yes - I know Aga
will sell you a vastly overpriced Philip Harben frying pan they call
a "flat bottom wok" but I prefer a real wok).

and certainly better than can be achieved in fan ovens and the
like.

Matthew Fort of the Gruniad has written a rather nice piece on the
Aga
(http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/w...cs/0509032.asp)

"It is a life-support, lifestyle system designed for people who don't
really like cooking, who like playing at cooking, for whom the image
of cooking is more important than the reality."

"To take one small example, let us say that you want to cook a
traditional Sunday lunch for a group of eight: roast meat, roast
potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, carrots, greens of some variety, gravy
and a nice treacle tart. That's not unreasonable is it?

Well, you can forget about the Yorkshire pudding and the treacle tart
for a start. You see, when you start opening and shutting those
boiling plates and simmering plates (to cook the veg and make the
gravy), you immediately start reducing the heat in the ovens (which
is being reduced anyway because you are cooking the meat in one of
them and continually opening the others as you try to keep things
warm or cook them). If you're lucky, you will just about get the fat
hot enough to roast the potatoes, but you'll have to make the treacle
tart the day before and nothing, but nothing, will save the Yorkshire
puddings. They will be as flabby as an old man's dewlap. My mother
was unable to make a decent Yorkshire pudding in the 30 years she
cooked on an Aga. Of course, you could sacrifice the roast potatoes,
but that isn't a serious option in our house.

I grew up with an Aga. I would like to say that I learnt to cook on
an Aga but it simply wouldn't be true. As a cook, you learn survival
techniques on an Aga; how to get by, how to rescue disaster, how to
take pleasure in small triumphs. But you don't learn how to cook. "

Generally people who criticise storage cookers have never tried one or
read something in a magazine, both of which make their comments
meaningless. If they have tried one, then either they had a very
old or badly set up one or themselves are unable to cook, since it is
really very easy.

Of course it is easy as it limits what you can do - it is glorified
haybox cooking. The one I had was perfectly well set up by Aga.
Every six months its own fitter turned up to service it at vast
expense (and this also meant three days downtime - one to cool, one
to be serviced and one to heat up again) - a cooker that needs 6
monthly servicing - I ask you! (I didn't own it BTW). However you
looked at from any objective viewpoint it was large, obsolete and
inefficient. As Fort says:-

"So what precisely is an Aga? An icon, a status symbol, a domestic
statement, and a companion to the golden retriever, the faded jeans
with the crease down the legs and the Ralph Lauren something or
other, the four-wheel drive, the 2.4 children called Jack and Daisy
and Ch-, and the holiday home in Tuscany. An Aga is anything but a
machine to cook on.

Think of it like the ancient family retriever: much loved, but dozy
and smelly and with dodgy back legs. It's time to have it put down. "

Another good article is at
http://www.ovolopublishing.co.uk/hou...-aga-help.html

"The Aga cookbook is full of Aga versions of recipes. They can take a
very simple conventional recipe ("Cook for two hours at 200 degrees
C") and turn it into a major epic ("Put on the boiling plate for ten
minutes. Cover and move to the simmering plate for 30 minutes.
Transfer to a shallow pan and leave it in the simmering oven
overnight. Finish off with 45 minutes in the baking oven before
serving.")"

Even Agas own suggestion for making something as simple as a steamed
pudding (6 mins in microwave) is a masterpiece of fiddle - "Boil hard
on the boiling plate for 10 minutes, before moving to the simmering
plate for a further 20 minutes. Check to see if it needs topping
up... After this initial 30 minute start, transfer the whole pan,
water and all, to the simmering oven for 2 1/2 hours" (The 6 min
microwave version also tastes rather better than the Aga one).

Other cooks have remarked similarly:-

"it does have a major drawback - it is most certainly not an accurate
cooking tool that can maintain a uniform temperature without
fluctuation. Leave one of the lids up and the temperature drops;
leave both lids up and it drops even more; open the oven door and it
plummets dramatically. We discovered this flaw while trying to cook a
piece of pork shoulder at 70C for 12 hours. At such a low
temperature, a 10C drop meant that the meat would not cook. In fact,
we soon worked out that the temperature fluctuations were up to 25%
in either direction, and when my wife telephoned Aga to inquire about
this, she was told that it was quite normal."

"depending on what we were making, we had to make sure that nothing
else was being cooked on top, to open and close the oven door to cool
it down, to leave the oven door open for a few minutes or switch the
meat from one oven to another."

The chap who wrote that probably came under your heading of "are
unable to cook", his name is Hester Blumenthal.

Other celebrity chefs of course are quite effusive in their
endorsement - Jamie Oliver waxes lyrical about them as underwear
dryers omitting to mention that Aga paid him "undisclosed amounts" to
supply and fit an oven for him. Other Agas regularly appear because
the shows producers "happen" to have one fitted free by Aga in the
kitchen they use for filming (usually the producers own kitchen). As
Aga said "Our famous customers come to us because we are discreet,
and we do not discuss the arrangements we have with them,". It's
nice to know you are contributing to such worthy causes when buying
an Aga :-).

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Andy Hall January 15th 06 03:02 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

There are, however, a few small country house hotels around which do
use an Aga for cooking because their customers appreciate it.

Name one.

If you look with Google, you will easily find several.

Oh look, it's dIMM.

Name one or admit you lied.

From the first couple of pages.....

http://www.brackenhousehotel.com/

http://www.cutthorne.com/

http://www.northcotemanor.com/index.htm

http://www.dine-online.co.uk/ashel.htm

http://www.travel-watch.com/romantic-london.htm

http://www.cornish-riviera.co.uk/pdf/2005d.pdf

http://www.iknow-lakedistrict.co.uk/...se-Penrith.htm

http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/...ol_bb_ex.shtml

... and that's before one gets into the substantial numbers of B&Bs

You were saying........

--

..andy

Andy Hall January 15th 06 03:04 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:35:27 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The temperature range on mine hasn't been found wanting for any of my
demands on it. And I'm very demanding.

and dries the food badly.

Eh?

The (Neff) one that we had certainly did.

Ah, well now you're falling into the trap of some other posters, making a
general statement based on your personal experience and even with only one
model.

That's not sensible, is it?

You have a point. However, I was able to compare the two side by side
briefly while the kitchen was being remodelled.

Without a comparison, I can't see how one could say whether there is a
drying effect or not.

--

..andy

Andy Hall January 15th 06 03:06 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Well, my dinner guests would disagree with you.
Only because projectile vomiting after dinner is regarded as impolite.

In that case, I would suggest that you refrain from doing it.

Not eating with those who cook using an Aga is the first step.

Washing your hands and learning to eat with a knife and fork is
another, and would also allows you to dispense with your bib.

--

..andy

Ophelia January 15th 06 03:07 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:
You mean B&Bs.

No I mean what I wrote.

Many years ago, I often visited a friend whose parents ran Cringletie
House
Hotel (near Peebles). Mrs Morris was a a truly excellent cook, and
her Aga
was the first one I'd seen in use.

Thank you for that Sheila.

Ophelia January 15th 06 03:07 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Is it necessary to be quite so patronising? and with how many models do
you have experience?

Ophelia January 15th 06 03:25 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

[...]

Thank you Peter. That is the kind of personal experience I was looking
for. It seems to me you are correct in that it is in fact "a status
symbol". Unfortunately some people will pay a fortune for such a thing
and yet others like to be in the middle of it by pretending to have
knowledge and make 'clever' comments :) It is something I decided I
would have when we moved to the right house but you have changed my
mind.

Andy Hall January 15th 06 03:53 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

I don't need to sell anything in terms of cookers. Aga toast toast
is legendary,

It is certainly a legend, straight from their advertising literature.
I've had and made lots of "Aga toast" and it's exactly the same as
any other toast done under a grill. Lightly burning bread isn't
exactly difficult to do.

Then why did you have difficulty?

it is true; however one can cook anything else very well
also,

As the Aga lacks any form of controllable hob, has wildly fluctuating
oven temperatures

Not true in the case of a modern gas model since the burner modulates.

I've measured the temperature in mine (all four ovens) using
thermocouples during cooking sessions and the temperatures vary very
little (5 degrees) during a cooking session apart from when a door is
opened. However, after that, recovery is very rapid because all 5
internal surfaces are heated.

and has no grill there are many things which can't
be done on it as well as on a conventional oven. Serious grilling of
any sort and stir frying are two obvious examples

Not really. You can grill very effectively in the roasting oven.

I have no difficulty with stir frying either, although I tend to do so
very rapidly using a pre-heated cast iron pan and that works well.

and certainly better than can be achieved in fan ovens and the
like.

Matthew Fort of the Gruniad has written a rather nice piece on the
Aga
(http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/w...cs/0509032.asp)

Anybody who believes anything written in that rag is naive anyway and
to rely on *anything* written by a journalist is questionable in the
extreme.

[...]

He clearly didn't, which is surprising, because to cook a Sunday lunch
of the type he describes is very easy. We do this periodically for
8 or more people and have none of the difficulties he describes.

He is referencing a cooker that his mother must have had at least 50
years ago, probably rather more. He doesn't mention the fuel used.
This is hardly comparable to a recent one with modulaitng gas burner
which is more than capable of maintaining temperature.

Generally people who criticise storage cookers have never tried one or
read something in a magazine, both of which make their comments
meaningless. If they have tried one, then either they had a very
old or badly set up one or themselves are unable to cook, since it is
really very easy.

Of course it is easy as it limits what you can do - it is glorified
haybox cooking.

Ones that you have used, might limit you, but the one that I do
doesn't limit me in the least, and I have a very broad taste in food
as well as being critical of poor quality.

The one I had was perfectly well set up by Aga.
Every six months its own fitter turned up to service it at vast
expense (and this also meant three days downtime - one to cool, one
to be serviced and one to heat up again) - a cooker that needs 6
monthly servicing - I ask you! (I didn't own it BTW).

I have no idea what that was. THe gas ones require a simple clean of
the combustion chamber annually. It is cool enough after about 16
hours or so after turning off to do that. It takes about 3-4 hours to
come back up to temperature.

However you
looked at from any objective viewpoint it was large, obsolete and
inefficient. As Fort says:-

"So what precisely is an Aga? An icon, a status symbol, a domestic
statement, and a companion to the golden retriever, the faded jeans
with the crease down the legs and the Ralph Lauren something or
other, the four-wheel drive, the 2.4 children called Jack and Daisy
and Ch-, and the holiday home in Tuscany. An Aga is anything but a
machine to cook on.

Think of it like the ancient family retriever: much loved, but dozy
and smelly and with dodgy back legs. It's time to have it put down. "

This of course, is simply journalistic rhetoric.

Another good article is at
http://www.ovolopublishing.co.uk/hou...-aga-help.html

Most of which is untrue - e.g. servicing, heat up time, and much of
the rest being nonsense that the writer, Mark (whoever he is) has
pulled out of nowhere.

[...]

I'm not sure why people eat stodgy rubbish like steamed puddings
anyway, but that aside, of course one can cook one in a microwave
quickly. In terms of a more meaningful comparison of steaming a
pudding on a hob vs. using the Aga simmering oven and not needing to
do anything for some time, the latter is a lot easier.

Other cooks have remarked similarly:-

"it does have a major drawback - it is most certainly not an accurate
cooking tool that can maintain a uniform temperature without
fluctuation. Leave one of the lids up and the temperature drops;
leave both lids up and it drops even more; open the oven door and it
plummets dramatically. We discovered this flaw while trying to cook a
piece of pork shoulder at 70C for 12 hours. At such a low
temperature, a 10C drop meant that the meat would not cook. In fact,
we soon worked out that the temperature fluctuations were up to 25%
in either direction, and when my wife telephoned Aga to inquire about
this, she was told that it was quite normal."

Again, one can only conclude that he or she had an old model or not a
gas one.

The temperature in the simmering oven on ours doesn't drop
dramatically when the lids are opened, even if for quite some time,
which is not the way that one uses the Aga anyway.

We periodically do an overnight roast in the simmering oven and it
always works very well. Obviously one should always thaw it first
and check with a meat thermometer and start and end of cooking. THat
is the case regardless of the method of cooking.

THe article is clearly a nonsense.

Obviously the temperature in an oven drops when the door is opened,
but it goes back up again very quickly because the heat stored in the
thermal mass of the cast iron is hugely more than that required to
heat the air.

If a joint is being cooked over a 10-12 hour period, there is no way
that there can be a 10 degree or 25% drop in temperature due to oven
doors or lids being opened.

"depending on what we were making, we had to make sure that nothing
else was being cooked on top, to open and close the oven door to cool
it down, to leave the oven door open for a few minutes or switch the
meat from one oven to another."

The chap who wrote that probably came under your heading of "are
unable to cook", his name is Hester Blumenthal.

Who knows? Either he was using an old Aga or one without modulating
heat source, or was trying to use it like a gas hob.

What he is saying doesn't stack up with a recent model gas Aga.

Other celebrity chefs of course are quite effusive in their
endorsement - Jamie Oliver waxes lyrical about them as underwear
dryers omitting to mention that Aga paid him "undisclosed amounts" to
supply and fit an oven for him. Other Agas regularly appear because
the shows producers "happen" to have one fitted free by Aga in the
kitchen they use for filming (usually the producers own kitchen). As
Aga said "Our famous customers come to us because we are discreet,
and we do not discuss the arrangements we have with them,". It's
nice to know you are contributing to such worthy causes when buying
an Aga :-).

Which is precisely why I would set little store either way where
journalists or celebrity chefs (different kinds of showmen
essentially) are concerned.

I prefer to stick with my own experiences of what I know works with
what I have.

Having said that, I am quite sure that the marketing managers of any
cooking equipment firm would cream their jeans at the opportunity to
place their products somewhere likely to be on TV.

--

..andy

Peter Parry January 15th 06 04:00 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

Just what's really needed between June and September.

It can be. We found this last year that there were very few days
when a low level of background heating wasn't appreciated.

Ah, I didn't realise you had moved to Stornoway.

The cooking techniques are different from conventional cookers in that
there are a wide range of temperatures available across the four ovens
and a large proportion of cooking operations that would be done on the
top on a conventional cooker are done in the ovens. Thus, the top
plates, proportionately, are not used as much as the ovens.

The cooking technique is exactly the same as any other oven/hob.

No it isn't. The ovens are used for many more things with the Aga
because of the versatility and range of temperatures available.

The oven is used more because the hotplates are uncontrollable and
the heat loss if using both is so great the ovens rapidly become
useless.

The plates are substantially larger, and one can easily fit pans partly on or partly off them.

Really good - one part burned the other cold.

can have a greater range of control with more pans than can be
achieved on a typical 4 burner hob.

If you want to spend your life standing over the thing sliding pans
around as the temperature drops and some boil over. One of the more
impressive fires I once went to was someone who had tried making a
large amount of jam on an Aga like device and had gone to answer the
phone(I couldn't tell if it was a real Aga or not as by that stage
most of the kitchen was lying on top of it.)

You can do exactly the same in any other oven.

The trouble is that you can't because you don't have the wide ranges
of temperature available at the same time.

If I have 4 ovens I can have four temperatures. I haven't yet found
a need for more than the two I have and I have two temperatures which
I can vary quite independently and entirely under my control. I
admit I can't have four ovens whose temperatures I can't control
other than by opening and closing doors and where a change in
temperature in one affects the others. On the other hand I can't see
why I would ever need such excitement.

Ultimately every conventional oven, no matter what its insulation,
sheds all its heat into the room it is in. The Aga is somewhat
different in that it puts some of its heat out of the chimney to heat
the world and dumps the remaining heat out into the room 24/7 whether
or not it is needed.

It actually releases extremely little heat through the flue. If I
go into the loft, the flue from mine is barely warm to the touch.

In terms of space heating, for almost all of the year, having 700W or
so of heat released into the house as background warmth is beneficial.
I run the CH with night setback anyway, so this fits very well.

Not everyone lives near to Norway in a house with no insulation or
solar gain :-).

I'm not sure how you call control from 40 deg to 240deg "limiting the
range of temperature available" but its a greater range and more
controllable than an Aga.

Very easily. I can have that range of temperatures continuously
available

Actually you have 4 rather indeterminate, uncontrollable, fluctuating
and largely unknown temperatures available. As Aga say "You don't
set the heat with an Aga. You find it". Personally I never saw the
attraction in this. If I want to cook something at 170deg I want to
put the oven at that temperature - not play "find the heat". The
thing is so useless you can't even bake a decent fruit cake in the
two oven version without buying an accessory "Baking box".

and they are used for cooking different things at different
speeds simultaneously. The control comes about from moving the items
to where you want them and how quickly you want the end result. In a
fan oven, there is little or no range of temperature at a point in
time, so much less flexibility.

You are simply making a case for having x ovens where x is a number
determined by your requirements. I find I need two so I have two.
Compared with a two oven Aga this gives me far greater control and
much greater flexibility (as well as more useable space). If I
needed four ovens I would have four and have better control over them
than an Aga can achieve (and more space in them).

Either things have to be cooked
sequentially with the temperature varied to suit, or carefully timed
so that they are not finished too early or too late.

Can't say I've ever found this to be a problem.

With the Aga, I have flexibility of temperature, of timing and of
position, and I also have places to maintain finished things without
deterioration if they do happen to finish early, which is rare

Indeed, finishing late (or not at all) as the temperature falls
appears to be a more common problem.

I can appreciate that some people have difficulty with this technique
and perhaps never master it. Neother of us had any difficulty at
all.

Aga "technique" is very simple and takes about 30 seconds to learn.
I did go on an Aga cooking course (paid for by the owner who thought
it was essential) and sat through a dreary day the highlight of which
comprised instructions on drying labradors in it.

As for drying food out badly - mine
doesn't at all.

Then you are very lucky. Mine certainly did, and it's rather obvious
when one considers the effect of blowing air over things.

Lids have been invented since the Aga came on the market. I've
actually used over 25 cookers of one sort or another and varying
states of repair including mains gas, bottled gas, electric and solid
fuel as well as numerous more interesting things such as plastic
explosive (which BTW is an excellent cooking fuel). Other than by
using faulty technique I've never had a problem with any of them
drying things out.

It is no different in that respect from an Aga, and
I used one of those dreadful things for a couple of years.

You must have had difficulty with use, because we found a huge benefit
in this respect.

It really wasn't difficult - just unbearably tedious.

In a well insulated kitchen, it doesn't take very long for the release
of 10kW to heat it to the mid 30s - certainly not 3hrs.

Indeed, but not many meals require the expenditure of anything
remotely like 10kW/hr of energy.

I really want a 1kW fire burning non stop in the kitchen all through
the summer.

Do you?

No, in a sheltered north facing kitchen it is pleasant in the summer
just as it is.

Personally, I like the 700W or so of background heat in the evenings
because my kitchen is partly shaded and faces north.

Each to their own.

Really this perspective is all about control. In general, I like to
be in control of things as well. However, I also look at issues
laterally.

The first point is that a gas Aga with a conventional flue is very
efficient for space heating because almost all the heat is released
within the insulated envelope of the house. That is my definition of
efficiency for this purpose, although I can understand that for some
people "efficient" means something that can be immediately controlled.

No - that's effective. However something isn't efficient if it is
putting out a kilowatt of energy non-stop every hour of every day
whether it is needed or not. You may find you need a 1kW heater
going all day every day I suggest that most would not. That alone
makes the device inefficient.

The second point is that for virtually all of the year, I calculated
and found in practice, that 700W or more of heat is needed to maintain
the house at the temperatures that I would like.

I really find it difficult to understand why you need a heater going
in the kitchen at 14:00 on a sunny July afternoon but there you go.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Andy Hall January 15th 06 04:06 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:26:09 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote
Some people do have difficulty in learning the (what are really fairly
straightforward) methods of cooking with a storage cooker.

I agree.
But what I wonder about is people wanting to do much cooking in warm weather

Jam-making? Although I understand that Agas aren't great at concentrated
batches of on-the-hob cooking like jam-making because the plates cool down.

Owain

Again that depends on how you go about it.

You don't make jam with an Aga by using long periods of on the hob
cooking.

For most fruits, the technique is to initially boil the appropriate
ingredients on the boiling plate for 10 minutes and then to cover and
transfer the pan to the simmering oven, typically for about an hour.
It is then removed and again boiled for a short period - typically
10-20 mins to complete the job.

If need be, the simmering oven can take four medium sized pans, so one
can cope with large quantities.

In terms of temperature drop, this also depends on the model and fuel
used. The burner is directly under the boiling plate and the burner
has a sensor located between it and the roasting oven. Thus, quite
shortly after the lid is raised, the burner modulates up to compensate
the heat loss.

--

..andy

Donwill January 15th 06 04:07 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

Maybe this deteriorating thread should be in a cooking NG .
Don

Andy Hall January 15th 06 04:09 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:25:39 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

Thank you Peter. That is the kind of personal experience I was looking
for. It seems to me you are correct in that it is in fact "a status
symbol". Unfortunately some people will pay a fortune for such a thing
and yet others like to be in the middle of it by pretending to have
knowledge and make 'clever' comments :) It is something I decided I
would have when we moved to the right house but you have changed my
mind.

I wouldn't believe what is written by journalists who are simply
looking for an angle.

The best advice is to go to one of the two day classes on Aga cooking
and then decide on whether you like it or not.

--

..andy

Donwill January 15th 06 04:16 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

snipped
Well done Peter Parry, exploded the myths and BS about these ancient status
symbols with an extremly entertaining contribution.
Cheers
Don

Mary Fisher January 15th 06 04:17 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote
Some people do have difficulty in learning the (what are really fairly
straightforward) methods of cooking with a storage cooker.

I agree.
But what I wonder about is people wanting to do much cooking in warm
weather

Jam-making? Although I understand that Agas aren't great at concentrated
batches of on-the-hob cooking like jam-making because the plates cool
down.

I don't understand what you mean by plates cooling down.

As for jam-making, I make masses of jam but wouldn't dream of doing it in
warm weather anyway, on any device. I pick the fruit, freeze it in pickings
and jam it when the harvest has finished and I have time and inclination.

Owain

Peter Parry January 15th 06 04:19 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

Jam-making? Although I understand that Agas aren't great at concentrated
batches of on-the-hob cooking like jam-making because the plates cool down.

They are not really very good at any sustained cooking (which is one
of the reasons they are rarely found in commercial kitchens) because
the maximum heat input is only about 5 times the idle rate and once
you have lost the energy stored in the mass it takes time to recover.
This is simply a characteristic of all stored heat devices.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

[email protected] January 15th 06 04:23 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

Anyway Andy, nobody would argue that you like your Aga and I'm sure you
can cook on it really well. But where you are p*ing into the wind is in
suggesting that they are in any way economical or practical. Don't let
that spoil your enjoyment.
Steam traction engines attract enthusiasts who spend many harmless
hours having innocent fun with them but nobody suggests that they are a
practical alternative to a modern vehicle.
Could be wrong here though - any minute now some bearded old chaps in
boiler suits could be angrily stabbing at their laptops with oily
fingers!
cheers
Jacob
PS Come to think when I had a solid fuel Rayburn a boiler suit was an
essential accessory - do they come with the kit if you buy a new one?

Mary Fisher January 15th 06 04:30 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

[...]

Well, that's enough reading. Matthew Fort (whoever he is) obviously doesn't
understand about roasting meat and baking Yorkshire. Perhaps he's a
southerner.

"it does have a major drawback - it is most certainly not an accurate
cooking tool that can maintain a uniform temperature without
fluctuation. Leave one of the lids up and the temperature drops;
leave both lids up and it drops even more; open the oven door and it
plummets dramatically. We discovered this flaw while trying to cook a
piece of pork shoulder at 70C for 12 hours. At such a low
temperature, a 10C drop meant that the meat would not cook. In fact,
we soon worked out that the temperature fluctuations were up to 25%
in either direction, and when my wife telephoned Aga to inquire about
this, she was told that it was quite normal."

Do you know something?

We've only had even hit and miss thermostats in any ovens since the C20th.

I wonder how cooks managed before then?

Actually I don't, I know. And it's not difficult - if you know what you're
doing. People who need to know that an oven is 125C or some other precise
temperature must be cooking straight from Cooking for Dummies by Ms Smith or
Master
Oliver. I learned to cook from my mother and later at school - a very long
time ago. My skill is based on understanding food and processes and being
able to use an oven is a very small part of that.

This summer I shall be cooking outdoors in my home built stone bread
oven -but it won't be limited to bread. How many who think that an Aga is no
good would even understand that process? You think you might by Googling
perhaps but have you done it? I have. It's the most satisfying cooking there
is.

Mary

Ophelia January 15th 06 04:30 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:25:39 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

Thank you Peter. That is the kind of personal experience I was
looking
for. It seems to me you are correct in that it is in fact "a status
symbol". Unfortunately some people will pay a fortune for such a
thing
and yet others like to be in the middle of it by pretending to have
knowledge and make 'clever' comments :) It is something I decided I
would have when we moved to the right house but you have changed my
mind.

I wouldn't believe what is written by journalists who are simply
looking for an angle.

The best advice is to go to one of the two day classes on Aga cooking
and then decide on whether you like it or not.

Thanks Andy but your description of how you have to make jam was enough
to put me off. I make enough jam in the summer time for it to matter!

Ophelia January 15th 06 04:30 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyway Andy, nobody would argue that you like your Aga and I'm sure
you
can cook on it really well. But where you are p*ing into the wind is
in
suggesting that they are in any way economical or practical. Don't let
that spoil your enjoyment.

I couldn't agree mo)))

Mary Fisher January 15th 06 04:34 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I'm not sure why people eat stodgy rubbish like steamed puddings
anyway,

Oh Andy! Steamed puddings are anything BUT stodgy - they're light and airy
(if made properly) and I wish I could afford to eat them more often. Nothing
todo with finances - the waistline you understand ...

We periodically do an overnight roast in the simmering oven and it
always works very well. Obviously one should always thaw it first
and check with a meat thermometer and start and end of cooking. THat
is the case regardless of the method of cooking.

Why a thermometer?

Mary

Andy Hall January 15th 06 04:38 PM

Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:

Just what's really needed between June and September.

It can be. We found this last year that there were very few days
when a low level of background heating wasn't appreciated.

Ah, I didn't realise you had moved to Stornoway.

No, although I sometimes think that it would be nice.

The plates are substantially larger, and one can easily fit pans partly on or partly off them.

Really good - one part burned the other cold.

Not unless you are incompetent. It's pretty hard to burn something
on the simmering plate.

can have a greater range of control with more pans than can be
achieved on a typical 4 burner hob.

If you want to spend your life standing over the thing sliding pans
around as the temperature drops and some boil over.

The point is that you don't. If that was what you did when you had
one, then you were doing things wrong.

You can slide a pan to a certain position and pretty much leave it -
for example simmering milk with zero risk of it boiling over.
Same with rice or pasta.

Hob time is relatively short in most cases because usually one
initially boils the item there, transfers it to the simmering oven and
then if need be, back to the top.

On a modern gas Aga, the temperatures don't drop to any noticable
extent during a typical cooking session.

One of the more
impressive fires I once went to was someone who had tried making a
large amount of jam on an Aga like device and had gone to answer the
phone(I couldn't tell if it was a real Aga or not as by that stage
most of the kitchen was lying on top of it.)

One has to wonder what on earth he was doing. It would be pretty
difficult to achieve that, even for those of Darwinian stupidity.

You can do exactly the same in any other oven.

The trouble is that you can't because you don't have the wide ranges
of temperature available at the same time.

If I have 4 ovens I can have four temperatures.

In the Aga you actually almost a continuum from bottom left to top
right. I've measured it. In a given oven, there is, through
convection, a difference between top and bottom.

I haven't yet found
a need for more than the two I have and I have two temperatures which
I can vary quite independently and entirely under my control.

I have a broad range and can also vary completely under my control,
and predictably, simply by locating the items where I want them.

admit I can't have four ovens whose temperatures I can't control

other than by opening and closing doors and where a change in
temperature in one affects the others. On the other hand I can't see
why I would ever need such excitement.

Two oven Agas work perfectly well, but four is better. At the very
bottom left, the warming oven warms plates and serving dishes and in
the top of it, food already prepared can be kept, without drying out
for latecomers. Above that, the simmering oven replaces many of the
operations that would otherwise require lengthy standing in front of a
hob.

Ultimately every conventional oven, no matter what its insulation,
sheds all its heat into the room it is in. The Aga is somewhat
different in that it puts some of its heat out of the chimney to heat
the world and dumps the remaining heat out into the room 24/7 whether
or not it is needed.

It actually releases extremely little heat through the flue. If I
go into the loft, the flue from mine is barely warm to the touch.

In terms of space heating, for almost all of the year, having 700W or
so of heat released into the house as background warmth is beneficial.
I run the CH with night setback anyway, so this fits very well.

Not everyone lives near to Norway in a house with no insulation or
solar gain :-).

I'm sure they don't....

I'm not sure how you call control from 40 deg to 240deg "limiting the
range of temperature available" but its a greater range and more
controllable than an Aga.

Very easily. I can have that range of temperatures continuously
available

Actually you have 4 rather indeterminate, uncontrollable, fluctuating
and largely unknown temperatures available.

Actually I don't. I've measured the temperatures in all four ovens,
top and bottom during the course of a cooking session and they remain
very constant, making timings easy to do.

As Aga say "You don't
set the heat with an Aga. You find it".

With the predictability of temperature in a given place, that was very
easy to do. I don't think we had a single disaster when starting,
but that was several years ago.

Personally I never saw the
attraction in this. If I want to cook something at 170deg I want to
put the oven at that temperature - not play "find the heat".

Likewise, although I simply make a note on the recipe that it's a
certain shelf in a certain oven. very easy.

The
thing is so useless you can't even bake a decent fruit cake in the
two oven version without buying an accessory "Baking box".

I don't know where you got that from, but I've never heard of it. I
have a 4 oven model, though. Can you identify the accessory on the
Aga Cookshop site?

and they are used for cooking different things at different
speeds simultaneously. The control comes about from moving the items
to where you want them and how quickly you want the end result. In a
fan oven, there is little or no range of temperature at a point in
time, so much less flexibility.

You are simply making a case for having x ovens where x is a number
determined by your requirements.

Not really. I have the space for and wanted the four oven model. It
also has the benefit of the warming area on the top.

I find I need two so I have two.
Compared with a two oven Aga this gives me far greater control and
much greater flexibility (as well as more useable space).
If I
needed four ovens I would have four and have better control over them
than an Aga can achieve (and more space in them).

You can't compare the two because the cooking techniques are
different.

People are able to cook perfectly well on a two oven Aga, but the four
oven is more flexible. I don't have a space issue.

Either things have to be cooked
sequentially with the temperature varied to suit, or carefully timed
so that they are not finished too early or too late.

Can't say I've ever found this to be a problem.

With the Aga, I have flexibility of temperature, of timing and of
position, and I also have places to maintain finished things without
deterioration if they do happen to finish early, which is rare

Indeed, finishing late (or not at all) as the temperature falls
appears to be a more common problem.

It might do in a coal or old oil one. It changes very little in a
modern gas one. Variations in time are almost always due to
specifics of the ingredients or their starting temperature.

I can appreciate that some people have difficulty with this technique
and perhaps never master it. Neother of us had any difficulty at
all.

Aga "technique" is very simple and takes about 30 seconds to learn.
I did go on an Aga cooking course (paid for by the owner who thought
it was essential) and sat through a dreary day the highlight of which
comprised instructions on drying labradors in it.

..... and added bonus then.

As for drying food out badly - mine
doesn't at all.

Then you are very lucky. Mine certainly did, and it's rather obvious
when one considers the effect of blowing air over things.

Lids have been invented since the Aga came on the market. I've
actually used over 25 cookers of one sort or another and varying
states of repair including mains gas, bottled gas, electric and solid
fuel as well as numerous more interesting things such as plastic
explosive (which BTW is an excellent cooking fuel). Other than by
using faulty technique I've never had a problem with any of them
drying things out.

I should have sent you my Neff fan oven. It managed to easily. I
have no idea why.

It is no different in that respect from an Aga, and
I used one of those dreadful things for a couple of years.

You must have had difficulty with use, because we found a huge benefit
in this respect.

It really wasn't difficult - just unbearably tedious.

In a well insulated kitchen, it doesn't take very long for the release
of 10kW to heat it to the mid 30s - certainly not 3hrs.

Indeed, but not many meals require the expenditure of anything
remotely like 10kW/hr of energy.

It doesn't need to be for an hour though. If you add up having 3-4
burners plus an oven running, you are using 10kW easily.

Really this perspective is all about control. In general, I like to
be in control of things as well. However, I also look at issues
laterally.

The first point is that a gas Aga with a conventional flue is very
efficient for space heating because almost all the heat is released
within the insulated envelope of the house. That is my definition of
efficiency for this purpose, although I can understand that for some
people "efficient" means something that can be immediately controlled.

No - that's effective. However something isn't efficient if it is
putting out a kilowatt of energy non-stop every hour of every day
whether it is needed or not. You may find you need a 1kW heater
going all day every day I suggest that most would not. That alone
makes the device inefficient.

I was really talking about 700W.

If you think about it, many people have that sort of figure in
lighting and appliances.

--

..andy