Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Default Is my gas meter electronic?

My gas meter was replaced about a year ago and I assumed it would have
been of the electronic type that could be read from outside the meter
box. However, my meter is in a locked external cupboard and whenever
the meter reader comes he always has to get access to read the meter.
Do the electronic meters still need a visual check - in which case what
use are they - or is it more likely that I don't have an electronic
meter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
hammy1967

although remote meter reading was looked into it was decided not to follow
that road
meter readers need to be able to access the meters for safety checks and
also to check you are not fiddling the supply
i come across on average 6 meters a day that are leaking gas to a explosive
rate and most of the time the occupier is unaware of the problem due to the
fact that they have just got used to the smell
it is also a legal requirement for the meters to be checked

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On 9 Jan 2006 07:52:26 -0800, wrote:

| My gas meter was replaced about a year ago and I assumed it would have
| been of the electronic type that could be read from outside the meter
| box. However, my meter is in a locked external cupboard and whenever
| the meter reader comes he always has to get access to read the meter.
| Do the electronic meters still need a visual check - in which case what
| use are they - or is it more likely that I don't have an electronic
| meter?

The keys to the ones I have seen are very simple triangular things.
Not difficult to make.
My mother in law asked for one and got it given by the then Gas Board.

The meter readers have these. The OP is saying the cupboard (he doesn't
say meter box) is *locked*, ie., only he has the key.

MBQ