Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sodiam carbonate

Before I start hunting around for washing soda I would like to check if
sodiam carbonate/water/car battery will dissolve rust please.
Also I have had no luck so far in finding washing soda/sodiam carconate
so perhaps someone knows which firm to ring for sodiam carbonate.

Thanks very much

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing

On 7 Jan 2006 06:51:28 -0800
" wrote:

Before I start hunting around for washing soda I would like to check
if sodiam carbonate/water/car battery will dissolve rust please.
Also I have had no luck so far in finding washing soda/sodiam
carconate so perhaps someone knows which firm to ring for sodiam
carbonate.

Thanks very much

1) it's SODIUM CARBONATE (DECAHYDRATE Na2CO3·10H2O), Washing Soda.
2) it is NOT used in batteries, they use Sulphuric ACID (H2SO4).
3) Sodium Carbonate is a strong ALKALI.
4) Sulphuric Acid will dissolve rust, AND ALL THE REST OF THE METAL.
5) Sulphuric Acid will dissolve YOU.
6) Mixing Alkali and Acid will result in a violent foaming reaction -
the gas may be toxic. The properties of the foam will depend on the
relative strengths of the two reagents and anything else added, like
the container!

If you don't understand this, please don't play with the chemicals, but
use a proprietary rust solution. Sulphuric Acid is one of the most
dangerous common chemicals, Washing Soda is pretty nasty too.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for trying to assist but I know about sulphuric acid.
It's sodium carbonate dissolved in water in plastic container. Connect
a car battery to the object to be de rusted and the other wire to a
stainless steel anode in the water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for trying to assist but I know about sulphuric acid.
It's sodium carbonate dissolved in water in plastic container. Connect
a car battery to the object to be de rusted and the other wire to a
stainless steel anode in the water.

Really - you know all about sulphuric acid and that it's sodium carbonate
dissolved in water. That's a new one on me - on both counts!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for trying to assist but I know about sulphuric acid.
It's sodium carbonate dissolved in water in plastic container. Connect
a car battery to the object to be de rusted and the other wire to a
stainless steel anode in the water.

This actually has nothing to do with car batteries, does it?

Are you asking a question about electrolysis?

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

On 7 Jan 2006 06:51:28 -0800, "
wrote:

Before I start hunting around for washing soda

It's available in Asda. Blue bag, about a quid, somewhere near the
washing stuff iirc.

I would like to check if
sodiam carbonate/water/car battery will dissolve rust please.

Dunno.

Cillit Bang is good for rust though.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

sponix wrote:
On 7 Jan 2006 06:51:28 -0800, "
wrote:

Before I start hunting around for washing soda

It's available in Asda. Blue bag, about a quid, somewhere near the
washing stuff iirc.

I would like to check if
sodiam carbonate/water/car battery will dissolve rust please.

Dunno.

Cillit Bang is good for rust though.

sponix

http://www.dripak.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

sponix wrote:
On 7 Jan 2006 06:51:28 -0800, "
wrote:

Before I start hunting around for washing soda

It's available in Asda. Blue bag, about a quid, somewhere near the
washing stuff iirc.

I would like to check if
sodiam carbonate/water/car battery will dissolve rust please.

Dunno.

Cillit Bang is good for rust though.

sponix

you've found an application for cillit bang which actually works ?

if I were you I'd contact their marketing dept for a big, fat, commission )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Herber

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:58:13 GMT, "." [email protected] wrote:

sponix wrote:
On 7 Jan 2006 06:51:28 -0800, "
wrote:

Before I start hunting around for washing soda

It's available in Asda. Blue bag, about a quid, somewhere near the
washing stuff iirc.

I would like to check if
sodiam carbonate/water/car battery will dissolve rust please.

Dunno.

Cillit Bang is good for rust though.

sponix

you've found an application for cillit bang which actually works ?

if I were you I'd contact their marketing dept for a big, fat, commission )

Didn't say though how Cillit Bang is good for rust, removing it,
creating it or just giving it a good polish.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
Visio Utilities http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Paul Herber wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:58:13 GMT, "." [email protected] wrote:

sponix wrote:
On 7 Jan 2006 06:51:28 -0800, "
wrote:

Before I start hunting around for washing soda

It's available in Asda. Blue bag, about a quid, somewhere near the
washing stuff iirc.

I would like to check if
sodiam carbonate/water/car battery will dissolve rust please.

Dunno.

Cillit Bang is good for rust though.

sponix

you've found an application for cillit bang which actually works ?

if I were you I'd contact their marketing dept for a big, fat,
commission )

Didn't say though how Cillit Bang is good for rust, removing it,
creating it or just giving it a good polish.

all three, obv !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing

On 7 Jan 2006 07:41:48 -0800
" wrote:

Thanks for trying to assist but I know about sulphuric acid.
It's sodium carbonate dissolved in water in plastic container. Connect
a car battery to the object to be de rusted and the other wire to a
stainless steel anode in the water.

OK, so you are planning to use a solution of sodium carbonate as an
electrolyte and use the battery to power the removal of Ferric Oxide
and Ferrous Oxide (I can remember which is normal rust, probably both).

Seems plausible, I'm not sure if there is a better cost effective
electrolyte. This article suggest you may have a point:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

Note the precautions in the article and also keep the soldium carbonate
solution well away from the battery :-)

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
RedOnRed wrote:
Stop being a patronising, pedantic, condescending, pompous ass for a
minute and note that even you too are susceptible to mispellings

^^^^^^^^^^^ ;-)

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marcus Fox

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for trying to assist but I know about sulphuric acid.
It's sodium carbonate dissolved in water in plastic container. Connect
a car battery to the object to be de rusted and the other wire to a
stainless steel anode in the water.

Sulphuric acid - H2SO4 - produces an acidic solution when it dissociates in
water
Sodium carbonate - Na2CO3 - often hydrated as Na2CO3.xH2O - produces a basic
solution.

You've given me a good laugh for today though.

Marcus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:40:44 UTC, "Marcus Fox"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for trying to assist but I know about sulphuric acid.
It's sodium carbonate dissolved in water in plastic container. Connect
a car battery to the object to be de rusted and the other wire to a
stainless steel anode in the water.

Sulphuric acid - H2SO4 - produces an acidic solution when it dissociates in
water
Sodium carbonate - Na2CO3 - often hydrated as Na2CO3.xH2O - produces a basic
solution.

You've given me a good laugh for today though.

But not as much as your lack of comprehension! He never even mentioned
sulpuric acid until someone else did...and the above was two separate
sentences, not a combined description of sulpuric acid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 15:25:57 +0000, Huge wrote:

And sodium carbonate will not do anything to rust.

Sodium carbonate is one component of the best technique for dealing with
rust - electrolytic de-rusting.

But if they can't work it out with Google and any local hardware shop or
even supermarket (washing soda just isn't that hard to find), then
there's little hope for the OP.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing

On 7 Jan 2006 20:04:15 GMT
"Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:40:44 UTC, "Marcus Fox"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for trying to assist but I know about sulphuric acid.
It's sodium carbonate dissolved in water in plastic container.
Connect a car battery to the object to be de rusted and the other
wire to a stainless steel anode in the water.

Sulphuric acid - H2SO4 - produces an acidic solution when it
dissociates in water
Sodium carbonate - Na2CO3 - often hydrated as Na2CO3.xH2O -
produces a basic solution.

You've given me a good laugh for today though.

But not as much as your lack of comprehension! He never even
mentioned sulpuric acid until someone else did...and the above was
two separate sentences, not a combined description of sulpuric acid.

But the OP did say, and I quote: "sodiam carbonate/water/car battery",
which made it look to me like he was planning to put 'sodiam
carbonate' (sic) in a car battery, for some de-rusting purpose. Hence
the warnings that I gave about H2SO4. It turns out he had a reasonable
plan, but he did ask his question in a somewhat daft way.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

RedOnRed wrote

From patronisingly correcting grammar to...

"**** off and die arsewipe."

What a nice fellow.

We're not at our most friendly tonight, are we? The first few responses
were pretty cantankerous, too.

--

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , mike
writes
We're not at our most friendly tonight, are we? The first few responses
were pretty cantankerous, too.

Probably related to the only semi-intelligble posting of the OP
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you for the Asda tip. I'll have a drive out. Where I live the
tesco/sainsburys etc often have things out of stock. We are lucky to
get cheddar cheese some days.
Thanks also for the web link and that the system has been tried before.

Now, why oh why all the flack & unkind comments. Do some people enjoy
getting the wrong end of the stick and then hitting the person with it.

Thanks again for the helpful comments

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A good rust removing acid is Phosphoric Acid. I have seen it referred
to as a food acid. It is or used to be in Coca Cola.

A good solution is 50% Phosphoric Acid, 50% Acetone and a few drops of
Fairy Liquid to act as a surfactant.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for the Asda tip. I'll have a drive out. Where I live the
tesco/sainsburys etc often have things out of stock. We are lucky to
get cheddar cheese some days.
Thanks also for the web link and that the system has been tried before.

Now, why oh why all the flack & unkind comments. Do some people enjoy
getting the wrong end of the stick and then hitting the person with it.

Thanks again for the helpful comments

You're not really making a bomb are you and we're all gonna get our doors
kicked down by MI5 too...lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps I should have mentioned electrolysis but I assumed readers had
heard of the rust removal method before. Also as per my guess, my
closest Sainsburys/Tesco had neither washing soda or soda crystals.
Asda it is then.............
I am going to have a busy weekend...........

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

wrote in message
oups.com...
A good rust removing acid is Phosphoric Acid. I have seen it referred
to as a food acid. It is or used to be in Coca Cola.

A good solution is 50% Phosphoric Acid, 50% Acetone and a few drops of
Fairy Liquid to act as a surfactant.

Sure I had that to drink in wine bar in London last night

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RichardS

wrote in message
oups.com...
Before I start hunting around for washing soda I would like to check if
sodiam carbonate/water/car battery will dissolve rust please.
Also I have had no luck so far in finding washing soda/sodiam carconate
so perhaps someone knows which firm to ring for sodiam carbonate.

Thanks very much

Washing soda? Normally get mine from pretty much any supermarket - a
common brand is "DP Crystals". About 50p a bag IIRC - located usually by
washing powders etc.

--

Richard Sampson

mail me at