DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Capping hot water pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/138873-capping-hot-water-pipe.html)

The Count January 6th 06 05:28 PM

Capping hot water pipe

Hi
My current bathroom hot water piping enters the bathroom on a T joint, with one pipe going right angles to the sink and the other going straight on to the bath. I'm moving the bath towards the sink, and am able to run the bath off the same pipe as the sink. I was just going to cap the remaining pipe, but wondered whether this could cause stagnant water. The nearest place to cap it with relative ease is 1.3m from the T-joint. Is it okay to cap it there, or must I cap it a smaller distance from the T, or replace T-joint with an elbow?

Set Square January 6th 06 11:23 PM

Capping hot water pipe

The Count wrote:

Hi
My current bathroom hot water piping enters the bathroom on a T joint,
with one pipe going right angles to the sink and the other going
straight on to the bath. I'm moving the bath towards the sink, and am
able to run the bath off the same pipe as the sink. I was just going
to cap the remaining pipe, but wondered whether this could cause
stagnant water. The nearest place to cap it with relative ease is
1.3m from the T-joint. Is it okay to cap it there, or must I cap it a
smaller distance from the T, or replace T-joint with an elbow?

By far the best thing would be to replace the tee with an elbow. Otherwise
you will have some air trapped in the dead leg which may cause water hammer.
It could be a breeding ground for bugs, too.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Lobster January 7th 06 11:17 AM

Capping hot water pipe

Set Square wrote:

By far the best thing would be to replace the tee with an elbow. Otherwise
you will have some air trapped in the dead leg which may cause water hammer.

Is that right? Never done it myself, but I always thought that
*introducing* a dead leg containing air was a *cure* for water hammer
(due to the compressibility of the air acting as a cushion against
oscillations in the water?

David