DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   removing Superglue (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/138276-removing-superglue.html)

OG January 2nd 06 09:50 PM

removing Superglue

What's the best way to remove superglue from plastic?
A threaded plastic tube snapped with not enough grip to unscrew the threaded
part - so I superglued them back well enough to remove the threaded part,
but couldn't get the two faces to mate in perfect alignment.

I now need to remove the superglue so that I can re-glue them with a perfect
fit between the two parts. The first part of this is to remove the dried-on
superglue.

Any suggestions?

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 2nd 06 09:56 PM

removing Superglue

OG wrote:
What's the best way to remove superglue from plastic?
A threaded plastic tube snapped with not enough grip to unscrew the
threaded part - so I superglued them back well enough to remove the
threaded part, but couldn't get the two faces to mate in perfect
alignment.

I now need to remove the superglue so that I can re-glue them with a
perfect fit between the two parts. The first part of this is to
remove the dried-on superglue.

Any suggestions?

A stanley knife blade.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Mr Fixit January 2nd 06 10:47 PM

removing Superglue

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
:: OG wrote:
::: What's the best way to remove superglue from plastic?
::: A threaded plastic tube snapped with not enough grip to unscrew the
::: threaded part - so I superglued them back well enough to remove the
::: threaded part, but couldn't get the two faces to mate in perfect
::: alignment.
:::
::: I now need to remove the superglue so that I can re-glue them with a
::: perfect fit between the two parts. The first part of this is to
::: remove the dried-on superglue.
:::
::: Any suggestions?
::
:: A stanley knife blade.
::
:: --
:: Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
http://www.macgregor.co.uk/accessories/zap.htm
look for debonder or google for super glue debonder

The Natural Philosopher January 3rd 06 12:22 AM

removing Superglue

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:50:46 -0000, OG wrote:

What's the best way to remove superglue from plastic?
A threaded plastic tube snapped with not enough grip to unscrew the threaded
part - so I superglued them back well enough to remove the threaded part,
but couldn't get the two faces to mate in perfect alignment.

I now need to remove the superglue so that I can re-glue them with a perfect
fit between the two parts. The first part of this is to remove the dried-on
superglue.

Any suggestions?

You can get CA debonder from MOST decent model shops.

The active ingerdientrs are acetone and nirtomethane.

Acetone alone will work if soaked overnight...but its costly as nail
varnish remover is about the only 'retail' source of it.

Other cellulose thinners do NOT work.