Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Laine

Default Store Security Tag still attached.

My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to
find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I
have heard of this happening before and a return to the store required
(albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat inconvenient and I am
visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What should I take? Will a hammer
and wedge remove it, crush it in the workmate or perhaps cut it open
with the Dremel and cutting disc. Just how do these things work?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

"Mike Laine" wrote in message
My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to
find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I
have heard of this happening before and a return to the store required
(albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat inconvenient and I am
visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What should I take? Will a hammer
and wedge remove it, crush it in the workmate or perhaps cut it open
with the Dremel and cutting disc. Just how do these things work?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mike

a steel pin is held in place by other metal object inside, the shop puts the
tag on a magnet which pulls away whateve is holding to pin

I've remoived one with wire cutters, slowly nibbling away at the plasic till
I could free the pin
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

Mike Laine wrote:
:: My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to
:: find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I
:: have heard of this happening before and a return to the store
:: required (albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat
:: inconvenient and I am visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What
:: should I take? Will a hammer and wedge remove it, crush it in the
:: workmate or perhaps cut it open with the Dremel and cutting disc.
:: Just how do these things work?
:: Any advice would be much appreciated.
:: Mike
just be careful that it does not have a vial with dye in it

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 13:18:04 +0000, Mike Laine
wrote:

My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to
find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I
have heard of this happening before and a return to the store required
(albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat inconvenient and I am
visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What should I take? Will a hammer
and wedge remove it, crush it in the workmate or perhaps cut it open
with the Dremel and cutting disc. Just how do these things work?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mike

My SHMBO got one the other day, I cut through the small nobbley bit
with a pair of tin snips. The mechanism then fell apart, a large pair
of side cuttuers, or a hacksaw would also do it. You only need to cut
the plastic - all the way round, not all the gubbins inside.

Pulling the thing apart (which I have tried before) is very hard
indeed.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mike Laine wrote:
My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to
find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I
have heard of this happening before and a return to the store required
(albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat inconvenient and I am
visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What should I take? Will a hammer
and wedge remove it, crush it in the workmate or perhaps cut it open
with the Dremel and cutting disc. Just how do these things work?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mike

I'm just wondering why the alarm didn't sound on leaving the shop?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Laine

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 14:08:21 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

I'm just wondering why the alarm didn't sound on leaving the shop?

As I say, I have heard of this happening before and assume the alarm
bit has been deactivated but the physical bit has stayed put, or the
assistant thought it was a printed circuit sticker on a label and
didn't look for the flying saucer.
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I'm just wondering why the alarm didn't sound on leaving the shop?

Many shops don't employ enough security staff and they are often elsewhere
when the alarm goes off so it goes unchecked.

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off, assuming
it was someone else.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
news
I'm just wondering why the alarm didn't sound on leaving the shop?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Staff got tired with all the false alarms?
Last time I was in W H Smiths, the alarms were sounding every few seconds
whilst I was at the checkouts. There was nobody near to the sensor columns,
and staff didn't seem concerned.
I guess they were then turned off as normal service & noises resumed.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Mike Laine wrote:

My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to
find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I
have heard of this happening before and a return to the store required
(albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat inconvenient and I am
visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What should I take? Will a hammer
and wedge remove it, crush it in the workmate or perhaps cut it open
with the Dremel and cutting disc. Just how do these things work?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

I had one once, a pair of side cutters made short work of the pin.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off, assuming
it was someone else.

If I set an alarm off when I'm on the way out, I just carry on going,
it's a notification to the staff, not to me ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

Andy Burns wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off,
assuming it was someone else.

If I set an alarm off when I'm on the way out, I just carry on going,
it's a notification to the staff, not to me ...

This is true, right up to the point when you get home and realise that
there's a tag attached to the item of clothing you bought. Then you post to
a newsgroup...

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off,
assuming it was someone else.

If I set an alarm off when I'm on the way out, I just carry on going,
it's a notification to the staff, not to me ...

So how do you get the tag off ? As far as I can see it need some kind
of machine to release it when it is on clothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimB

Mike Laine wrote:

My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to
find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I
have heard of this happening before and a return to the store required
(albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat inconvenient and I am
visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What should I take? Will a hammer
and wedge remove it, crush it in the workmate or perhaps cut it open
with the Dremel and cutting disc. Just how do these things work?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mike

The flying saucers can be safely removed with wire cutters or anything
else you can use - be careful not to damage the product though.

The dye vial type need to be stuck in the freezer overnight first. Then
they can be removed the same way. Just make sure you remove it before
it defrosts, and bag the vial after removal.

Both snippets of advice are based on experience, but if it's expensive,
don't trust me - take it back to the store instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 21:12:20 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off,
assuming it was someone else.

If I set an alarm off when I'm on the way out, I just carry on going,
it's a notification to the staff, not to me ...

So how do you get the tag off ? As far as I can see it need some kind
of machine to release it when it is on clothing.

Next time you are in a shop that uses these sort of tags have a look
on the counter beside the tills for a circular device about 2-3"
across with a depression in the centre ( well any I've seen have )
..Thats the device the shop use .They place the tag on top and it
releases the 2 parts of the tag ...I always believed it was a magnetic
device of some sort..
See here .halfway down the page .

http://www.maxtag.com/security-taggi...ccessories.htm

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Ophelia wrote:

So how do you get the tag off ?

It's always been the "stick on spiral RF loop" type, so not a problem,
you can even cut/peel them off and carry them round in your wallet, just
to annoy Mr. "Can I see your receipt?" standing near the exit at B&Q ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

news

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off,
assuming it was someone else.

If I set an alarm off when I'm on the way out, I just carry on
going,
it's a notification to the staff, not to me ...

So how do you get the tag off ? As far as I can see it need some kind
of machine to release it when it is on clothing.

Next time you are in a shop that uses these sort of tags have a look
on the counter beside the tills for a circular device about 2-3"
across with a depression in the centre ( well any I've seen have )
.Thats the device the shop use .They place the tag on top and it
releases the 2 parts of the tag ...I always believed it was a magnetic
device of some sort..
See here .halfway down the page .

http://www.maxtag.com/security-taggi...ccessories.htm

Yes indeed. But how on earth would you get that off at home?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

So how do you get the tag off ?

It's always been the "stick on spiral RF loop" type, so not a problem,
you can even cut/peel them off and carry them round in your wallet,
just to annoy Mr. "Can I see your receipt?" standing near the exit at
B&Q ;-)

See the other post about that depression on the counter that releases
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roly

Mike Laine wrote:

My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to
find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I
have heard of this happening before and a return to the store required
(albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat inconvenient and I am
visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What should I take? Will a hammer
and wedge remove it, crush it in the workmate or perhaps cut it open
with the Dremel and cutting disc. Just how do these things work?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mike

When our daughter was pregnant for the first time, my wife went off to
Mothercare and bought one of everything, like Mums do. Unfortunately one
of those tags was left on and she nor anybody else paid any regard to
the alarm sounding as she walked out of the shop.

The goods were all parcelled up and sent to daughter, who spotted the
tag. Daughter then sent her husband off to Mothercare to ask that they
remove the tag ( having had the receipt posted up too ).

So he walks into Mothercare to the sound of alarms. Explains the
situation to the staff, who explain that their branch uses a different
type of tag, but they think that Dorothy Perkins use that type. So he
walks out of Mothercare, with the alarm ringing, walks into an equally
noisy Dotty P and they explain that they don't use those particular tags
either. So he spends the whole morning marching in and out of various
clothes shops, to a chorus of alarms at every entrance and exit until
one retailer has the appropriate gadget.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 01:49:24 GMT, (Roly)
wrote:

Mike Laine wrote:

[...]

Clearly he wasn't a father at that point.......

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

wrote:

I'm just wondering why the alarm didn't sound on leaving the shop?

I have heard that some shops use dummy tags as a deterrent.

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 21:46:41 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Ophelia wrote:

So how do you get the tag off ?

It's always been the "stick on spiral RF loop" type, so not a problem,
you can even cut/peel them off and carry them round in your wallet, just
to annoy Mr. "Can I see your receipt?" standing near the exit at B&Q ;-)

I think the stick on RF loop type are deactivated by passing them over
a large RF field. The RF field causes a current to flow in the coil
which blows a 'fuse' on the printed circuit, thus deactivating it.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

wrote:

Ophelia wrote:

So how do you get the tag off ?

It's always been the "stick on spiral RF loop" type, so not a problem,
you can even cut/peel them off and carry them round in your wallet,
just
to annoy Mr. "Can I see your receipt?" standing near the exit at B&Q
;-)

I think the stick on RF loop type are deactivated by passing them over
a large RF field. The RF field causes a current to flow in the coil
which blows a 'fuse' on the printed circuit, thus deactivating it.

Oh well I will do that in me back kitchen eh?))))))

I think I will continue to stop if my tag is activated when leaving the
shop)) Perhaps Mr Burns doesn't mind holes in his clothes

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Ophelia wrote:

Oh well I will do that in me back kitchen eh?))))))

Actually you *could* do it in the kitchen, I suspect a couple of seconds
in the microwave would suffice.

Perhaps Mr Burns doesn't mind holes in his clothes

I find clothes are quite difficult to put on without holes ;-) Can't say
it's ever happened with clothes, usually electrical items where the
assistant forgets to wave the "wand" over the tag stuck in/on the box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

Oh well I will do that in me back kitchen eh?))))))

Actually you *could* do it in the kitchen, I suspect a couple of
seconds in the microwave would suffice.

I say, do you really think so? Hmmm not sure I would be prepared to
take the risk though of paying good money for something and then the
possibility of wrecking it to get the tag off.

Perhaps Mr Burns doesn't mind holes in his clothes

I find clothes are quite difficult to put on without holes ;-)

and the rest would be for ventilation?

Can't say
it's ever happened with clothes, usually electrical items where the
assistant forgets to wave the "wand" over the tag stuck in/on the box.

Hmm I guess that, being female, the clothes thing was my first thought

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Ophelia wrote:

Yes indeed. But how on earth would you get that off at home?

uk.d-i-y
With an angle grinder, of course :-)
/uk.d-i-y

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Ophelia wrote:

Yes indeed. But how on earth would you get that off at home?

uk.d-i-y
With an angle grinder, of course :-)
/uk.d-i-y

.... Even I managed to resist that one

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

Yes indeed. But how on earth would you get that off at home?

uk.d-i-y
With an angle grinder, of course :-)
/uk.d-i-y

LOL

I can just see that working with a nice silky garment

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I've had the same happen to me with something I bought from Maplin,
except it didn't trigger Maplin's detector.

My tale also starts with Maplin.

I bought one of their ultrasonic measuring devices and shortly after, I
found that I could set off Tesco's alarm on the way in, much to the
dismay of the 'security' staff. Eventually, curiosity got the better of
them and asked what I had in my pocket. Looks like I will have to start
carrying it around again. (New staff on the door) ;-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Ophelia
URL:mailto
See the other post about that depression on the counter that releases
them.

That's no way to talk about the checkout staff. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Ophelia
URL:mailto
See the other post about that depression on the counter that releases
them.

That's no way to talk about the checkout staff. :-)

LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Spice

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. uk...

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off,
assuming it was someone else.

If I set an alarm off when I'm on the way out, I just carry on going,
it's a notification to the staff, not to me ...

So how do you get the tag off ? As far as I can see it need some kind
of machine to release it when it is on clothing.

A very late reply but the same thing happened to me today. My son's new
fancy dress costume had one of the flying saucer thingies left in it.
Obviously we didn't find it until 10 minutes before the party. I found the
judicious application of a hack saw and a pole of Mole grips dealt with the
problem in about 2 minutes.

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Mark Spice" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. uk...

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off,
assuming it was someone else.

If I set an alarm off when I'm on the way out, I just carry on
going,
it's a notification to the staff, not to me ...

So how do you get the tag off ? As far as I can see it need some
kind
of machine to release it when it is on clothing.

A very late reply but the same thing happened to me today. My son's
new
fancy dress costume had one of the flying saucer thingies left in it.
Obviously we didn't find it until 10 minutes before the party. I
found the
judicious application of a hack saw and a pole of Mole grips dealt
with the
problem in about 2 minutes.

Well done you) I hope he enjoyed the party)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 13:18:04 +0000, Mike Laine wrote:

Just how do these things work?

I ended up with one on a jumper I bought. I took it to bits to see how
it worked (this must be an inherent trait of most people in this
group). As far as I could see, the pin was gripped by three ball
bearings which had to be moved outwards to release it.

The electronics bit is easy by comparison ;-)

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mark Spice" writes:
A very late reply but the same thing happened to me today. My son's new
fancy dress costume had one of the flying saucer thingies left in it.
Obviously we didn't find it until 10 minutes before the party. I found the
judicious application of a hack saw and a pole of Mole grips dealt with the
problem in about 2 minutes.

Could have left it on, and sent him along as a kleptomaniac ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:20:04 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

Could have left it on, and sent him along as a kleptomaniac ;-)

Fake moustache and a curly perm wig, send him as a Scouser.

Are the terms not synonymous? ;-)

There is a yacht moored at the marina I use, registered in Liverpool.
Its name is "Hot Property".

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:22:17 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 13:18:04 +0000, Mike Laine wrote:

Just how do these things work?

I ended up with one on a jumper I bought. I took it to bits to see how
it worked (this must be an inherent trait of most people in this
group). As far as I could see, the pin was gripped by three ball
bearings which had to be moved outwards to release it.

The electronics bit is easy by comparison ;-)

Me too, GF brought a pair of jeans home and noticed a flying saucer
tag attached. Had to butcher it off. Same design, treble ball bearing
catch. Must have been knackered as she said no alarm was triggered.
Must have been her foil lined handbag..

Make free phone calls

http://houseoflove.co.uk

Tried,tested,approved !

Confessions of a Thrift Store Shopper (photos) Ken Vaughn Woodturning 11 October 19th 05 11:37 PM
Confessions of a Thrift Store Shopper (photos) Ken Vaughn Woodworking 12 October 19th 05 05:01 PM
Installing security lights in eaves [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 7th 05 09:49 PM
Cylinder v thermal store IMM UK diy 51 August 19th 03 05:30 PM
SmartHome Wireless Security System Billy Home Repair 2 August 5th 03 02:58 AM