DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hotpoint washing machine noisy (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/137953-hotpoint-washing-machine-noisy.html)

hector December 31st 05 06:10 PM

Hotpoint washing machine noisy

Hi,

My Hotpoint washing machine (A First Edition 1000) recently began
making a horrendous amount of noise during the spin cycle. Whilst I've
been looking into changing the bearings etc. It has also started
blowing the main circuit breaker to the house (only the main one not
the smaller circuit breaker supplying the ring that the WM is connected
to). Could these two faults be related which may help me to pinpoint
the actual problem?

Has anyone any suggestions as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for any replies there may be and a happy new year!

Jim Gregory December 31st 05 06:44 PM

Hotpoint washing machine noisy

"hector" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My Hotpoint washing machine (A First Edition 1000) recently began
making a horrendous amount of noise during the spin cycle. Whilst I've
been looking into changing the bearings etc. It has also started
blowing the main circuit breaker to the house (only the main one not
the smaller circuit breaker supplying the ring that the WM is connected
to). Could these two faults be related which may help me to pinpoint
the actual problem?

Has anyone any suggestions as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for any replies there may be and a happy new year!

By main circuit breaker [in CU], do you mean an RCD which senses low
resistance frrom L to E or from N to E? The other circuit breaker (MCB) for
the power ring senses over-current condition.
If this is so, you have an earth-leakage fault, apart from a noisy spinner!
If not, why is the fault blowing a 45A trip - rather than the nearer 32A
trip or even the 1" fuse in 13A plug?
Do unplug from, or switch off supply at wall-socket - and first you might
check for tell-tale moisture near mains wiring within the W/M or a failed
capacitor giving a taboo path to E.
Jim

powerstation December 31st 05 06:57 PM

"Jim Gregory" wrote in message
"hector" wrote in message
[...]

If the drum drops on its bearings on a Hotpoint WM series it damages the
heater causing the RCD to trip, other cause could be a leak of water onto
the electrics.

Peter

EricP December 31st 05 07:06 PM

On 31 Dec 2005 10:10:45 -0800, "hector" wrote:

Hi,

My Hotpoint washing machine (A First Edition 1000) recently began
making a horrendous amount of noise during the spin cycle. Whilst I've
been looking into changing the bearings etc. It has also started
blowing the main circuit breaker to the house (only the main one not
the smaller circuit breaker supplying the ring that the WM is connected
to). Could these two faults be related which may help me to pinpoint
the actual problem?

Has anyone any suggestions as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for any replies there may be and a happy new year!

drum bearings and motor brushes.

Bob Eager December 31st 05 08:05 PM

Hotpoint washing machine noisy

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:10:45 UTC, "hector"
wrote:

My Hotpoint washing machine (A First Edition 1000) recently began
making a horrendous amount of noise during the spin cycle. Whilst I've
been looking into changing the bearings etc. It has also started
blowing the main circuit breaker to the house (only the main one not
the smaller circuit breaker supplying the ring that the WM is connected
to). Could these two faults be related which may help me to pinpoint
the actual problem?

Has anyone any suggestions as to what this may be?

The noise is almost certainly the bearings. Open the door and try to
rock the drum. Any perceptible movement, and the bearings are shot.

The drum rotates inside the water 'tub'. The heater is at the bottom of
the tub. Any movement of the drum and it may scrape the heater, and
there'll be an earth leakage fault.

New bearings and new heater....!

[email protected] January 1st 06 12:54 AM

Hotpoint washing machine noisy

In article .com,
(hector) wrote:

Hi,

My Hotpoint washing machine (A First Edition 1000) recently began
making a horrendous amount of noise during the spin cycle. Whilst I've
been looking into changing the bearings etc. It has also started
blowing the main circuit breaker to the house (only the main one not
the smaller circuit breaker supplying the ring that the WM is connected
to). Could these two faults be related which may help me to pinpoint
the actual problem?

Has anyone any suggestions as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for any replies there may be and a happy new year!

On the noise side, one thing that I've found is that if a coin ends up
between the two drums that this can suddenly cause a lot of noise when
spinning - usually on the fast spin cycle. I've had this happen on my old
Creda and I suspect this is the reason for my heater packing up (not
tripping anything) as I found various bits of scale in with one wash.

On the odd times I've had this, the coin has usually appeared in the drum
after a few washes / spins, but it's probably doing various damage to the
equipment in the meantime.

Roger