DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT] (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/137922-help-how-thread-box-sealing-tape-handheld-dispenser-%5Bot%5D.html)

Cori December 31st 05 03:22 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

This may sound odd and is slightly off-topic.

I got a bargain on a handheld box tape dispenser which is similar to
this http://snipurl.com/l6my. It takes 50mm (2 inch) adhesive tape
and is used for sealing boxes.

I'm not at all sure I have threaded the tape correctly because the
loose end seems to flap about for a inch or two and is never in the
right place to be used a second time.

Maybe my bagain dispenser is badly designed or maybe I have threaded
it wrongly.

Can someone here, who I figure might use these things, tell me how to
load this sort of dispenser correctly.

Trevor December 31st 05 03:47 PM

Cori wrote:
This may sound odd and is slightly off-topic.

I got a bargain on a handheld box tape dispenser which is similar to
this http://snipurl.com/l6my. It takes 50mm (2 inch) adhesive tape
and is used for sealing boxes.

I'm not at all sure I have threaded the tape correctly because the
loose end seems to flap about for a inch or two and is never in the
right place to be used a second time.

Maybe my bagain dispenser is badly designed or maybe I have threaded
it wrongly.

Can someone here, who I figure might use these things, tell me how to
load this sort of dispenser correctly.

Not sure you can load the wrong?? the roll is loaded to the dispenser so
that the tape comes off on the left hand side as in your photo. It then
passes between the silver clamp & the black roller. It then goes passed
the serrated teeth. The idea being you press down on the tape by the
roller onto the box, you then pull towards you until you have covered
the box, then pressing with a upward movement you cut the tape with the
teeth. Theoretically the tape should hold onto the teeth until it's
needed again. In practice it needs practice to make it work correctly,
you also have to have the correct tension on the spindle in the middle.

raden December 31st 05 04:07 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

In message , Cori
writes
This may sound odd and is slightly off-topic.

I got a bargain on a handheld box tape dispenser

They only cost a couple of quid, or free with a couple of boxes of tape

which is similar to
this http://snipurl.com/l6my. It takes 50mm (2 inch) adhesive tape
and is used for sealing boxes.

I'm not at all sure I have threaded the tape correctly because the
loose end seems to flap about for a inch or two and is never in the
right place to be used a second time.

Maybe my bagain dispenser is badly designed or maybe I have threaded
it wrongly.

Can someone here, who I figure might use these things, tell me how to
load this sort of dispenser correctly.

There is only one way to load a roll of tape and get the adhesive on the
correct side

yes the tape does flap around, depending on what type of tape you're
using

--
geoff

sponix December 31st 05 04:38 PM

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:22:35 GMT, Cori wrote:

This may sound odd and is slightly off-topic.

I got a bargain on a handheld box tape dispenser which is similar to
this http://snipurl.com/l6my. It takes 50mm (2 inch) adhesive tape
and is used for sealing boxes.

I'm not at all sure I have threaded the tape correctly because the
loose end seems to flap about for a inch or two and is never in the
right place to be used a second time.

Maybe my bagain dispenser is badly designed or maybe I have threaded
it wrongly.

Can someone here, who I figure might use these things, tell me how to
load this sort of dispenser correctly.

Load it as shown in the picture, with sticky side facing away from the
roller.

After use you should end up with a "flappy" bit about an inch long;
this usually stays stuck to the zig-zag type cutter blade..sometimes
not.

If you are ending up with more the tension may be wrong. Try
tightening the knurled nut in the centre of the reel.

sponix

Conor January 1st 06 04:51 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

In article , Cori says...

How the **** do you manage to tie your shoelaces in the morning?

--
Conor

I'm so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn't funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn't know
what terror was.

Conor January 1st 06 04:51 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

In article , raden says...

There is only one way to load a roll of tape and get the adhesive on the
correct side

You have to wonder how people who can't work it out have managed to
survive so long.

JohnT January 1st 06 04:58 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , raden says...

There is only one way to load a roll of tape and get the adhesive on the
correct side

You have to wonder how people who can't work it out have managed to
survive so long.

Lots of them speak well of you.

JohnT

Conor January 1st 06 11:58 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

In article , JohnT says...

Lots of them speak well of you.

LOL.

Adrian C January 2nd 06 03:44 PM

Conor wrote:

How the **** do you manage to tie your shoelaces in the morning?

How do you tie yours? Bet somebody *showed* you!!!

--
Adrian C

Cori January 2nd 06 08:44 PM

On Sat 31 Dec 2005 16:38:01, sponix wrote:

Load it as shown in the picture, with sticky side facing away
from the roller.

After use you should end up with a "flappy" bit about an inch
long; this usually stays stuck to the zig-zag type cutter
blade..sometimes not.

If you are ending up with more the tension may be wrong. Try
tightening the knurled nut in the centre of the reel.

Thanks for the information Sponix.

I was flummoxed by the spring clip holding the tape to the roller.
From what you say it is correct for it to press down on the side of
the tape with adhesive.

But wouldn't this lead to the adhesive sometimes tearing from its
backing if a tape is used whose adhesive doesn't "hold together" very
well? (Low cohesion.) In this case the adhesion to the spring plate
would be too great?

Cori January 2nd 06 08:50 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

In message Cori writes

On Sat 31 Dec 2005 16:07:38, raden wrote:

They only cost a couple of quid, or free with a couple of boxes
of tape

I bought mine for 99 pence.

And at that price I can't even be sure if it has been made
properly! That's why I asked. I wondered if some necessary
apertures on the gun had not been made!

which is similar to
this http://snipurl.com/l6my. It takes 50mm (2 inch) adhesive
tape and is used for sealing boxes.

I'm not at all sure I have threaded the tape correctly because
the loose end seems to flap about for a inch or two and is never
in the right place to be used a second time.

Maybe my bargain dispenser is badly designed or maybe I have
threaded it wrongly.

There is only one way to load a roll of tape and get the
adhesive on the correct side

yes the tape does flap around, depending on what type of tape
you're using

I don't like the tape flapping bit! That tape flapping about
seems like a compromise inherent in the design.

I wonder how much more complicated it would have been to design
something on the sealing gun which would hold the tape flap in
place. But hen I would have to pay more than 99p!

raden January 2nd 06 09:19 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

In message , Cori
writes
Maybe my bargain dispenser is badly designed or maybe I have
threaded it wrongly.

There is only one way to load a roll of tape and get the
adhesive on the correct side

yes the tape does flap around, depending on what type of tape
you're using

I don't like the tape flapping bit! That tape flapping about
seems like a compromise inherent in the design.

Like I said, it depends on which type of tape you have loaded

Polypropylene, vinyl etc ...

Different thickness, rigidity, tearability etc

What type do you have ? I presume you don't know

Cori January 3rd 06 04:24 PM

Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

On Mon 02 Jan 2006 21:19:00, raden wrote:

In message , Cori
writes
Maybe my bargain dispenser is badly designed or maybe I have
threaded it wrongly.

There is only one way to load a roll of tape and get the
adhesive on the correct side

yes the tape does flap around, depending on what type of tape
you're using

I don't like the tape flapping bit! That tape flapping about
seems like a compromise inherent in the design.

Like I said, it depends on which type of tape you have loaded

Polypropylene, vinyl etc ...

Different thickness, rigidity, tearability etc

What type do you have ? I presume you don't know

The tapes are all given to me by 3M and are branded either as Scotch
or Clipper. Will the spec really help? Here is some data from the
spec sheets:

(1) Scotch. Bi-oriented polypropylene backing (0.03 mm) with acrylic
adesive and adhesion of 1.8 N/cm (to steel) and break point at 30%
elongation. Very nice tape.

(2) Scotch. PVC film backing (0.035 mm) with rubber resin adhesive.
Steel adhesion is 2.5 N/cm and break point at 75% elongation.

(3) 'Scotchpar' polyester film backing (0.040 mm) with natural rubber
resin adhesive. Steel adhesion is 2.0 N/cm and break point at 140%
elongation.

(4) Clipper. Bi-oriented polyproylene film backing (0.035 mm) with
unknown zero-dwell-time adhesive. Steel adhesion is 1.1 N/cm and
break point at 150% elongation.

Other spec like static shear and tensile strength don't seem relevant
here but are on the spec sheets.

The last two are specifically box sealing tapes. Not sure what (2)'s
market is and (1) is a general purpose high-strength tape

I wonder how much more complicated it would have been to design
something on the sealing gun which would hold the tape flap in
place. But then I would have to pay more than 99p!