Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Cummings

Default Slate Floor tiles

I have recently laid slate floor tiles in my bathroom and pre-sealed them
with a propietry sealer...however the tiles don't look quite dark enough.
They dried to a mid grey colour. Is there anything I can put on the tiles to
make them darker.

Thks

JeC

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:43:21 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan Cummings"
wrote:

I have recently laid slate floor tiles in my bathroom and pre-sealed them
with a propietry sealer...however the tiles don't look quite dark enough.
They dried to a mid grey colour. Is there anything I can put on the tiles to
make them darker.

Thks

JeC

Paint

Normally you would choose the slate of the correct colour.

Rick
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

wrote:

I have recently laid slate floor tiles in my bathroom and pre-sealed them
with a propietry sealer...however the tiles don't look quite dark enough.
They dried to a mid grey colour. Is there anything I can put on the tiles to
make them darker.

Normally you would choose the slate of the correct colour.

Don't be daft. They dry to that colour. Just scrub them and put some
more sealant on them -or polish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

I have recently laid slate floor tiles in my bathroom and pre-sealed them
with a propietry sealer...however the tiles don't look quite dark enough.
They dried to a mid grey colour. Is there anything I can put on the tiles to
make them darker.

Thks

JeC

Yes. Try some Lithofin MN Colour Enhancer.

www.lithofin.de

I used this in the kitchen for slate tiles there. It doesn't darken
the slate colour, but makes it appear richer without making it look
glossy.

However, I can't remember whether this stuff should go on before or
after the sealer (use Lithofin Stainstop for that), so you need to
research it. The web site has a lot of technical information or you
can email them.

Lithofin stuff is generally available from better tile shops or on
line.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
James

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

I have recently laid slate floor tiles in my bathroom and pre-sealed
them
with a propietry sealer...however the tiles don't look quite dark
enough.
They dried to a mid grey colour. Is there anything I can put on the
tiles to
make them darker.

Normally you would choose the slate of the correct colour.

Don't be daft. They dry to that colour. Just scrub them and put some
more sealant on them -or polish.

you can get a protective covering that will put a thin layer of "stuff" on
the tile to stop the dirt etc. from getting in, this does make them look
darker. We used this method in our porch area of the cottage.

James
www.directsos.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Don

"Jonathan Cummings" wrote in message
I have recently laid slate floor tiles in my bathroom and pre-sealed them
with a propietry sealer...however the tiles don't look quite dark enough.
They dried to a mid grey colour. Is there anything I can put on the tiles

make them darker.

Thks

JeC

My grandmother came from Blaenau Festiniog, my grandfsther was a quarryman
there. The custom in the late 1800s was to wash the front door step (slate
of course) on a saturday night so that it was clean for sunday morning.
She used milk to clean the step, whether it was mixed with water I don't
known, perhaps you can experiment?
:-)

Cheers
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:43:21 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Cummings wrote:

I have recently laid slate floor tiles in my bathroom and pre-sealed them
with a propietry sealer...however the tiles don't look quite dark enough.
They dried to a mid grey colour. Is there anything I can put on the tiles to
make them darker.

Thks

JeC

Color enhancer instead of sealer...it may be too late tho. But try anyway.
Lithofin do it.