Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Default Cartridges

Hi

I always seem to end up with half used tubes of silicone, gripfill, bath
sealant etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to keep the stuff from going hard & blocking up
the nozzles? I know they supply a cap, but it always seems to be too small
once you have trimmed the nozzle.

I read somewhere about using 4" nails?

Any tips?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DeeBee

david lang wrote:
Hi

I always seem to end up with half used tubes of silicone, gripfill, bath
sealant etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to keep the stuff from going hard & blocking up
the nozzles? I know they supply a cap, but it always seems to be too small
once you have trimmed the nozzle.

I read somewhere about using 4" nails?

Any tips?

Dave

I usually stick a bit of duck tape over then end, but anything that
seals the end from air should work

hth

DeeBee
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

"david lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi

I always seem to end up with half used tubes of silicone, gripfill, bath
sealant etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to keep the stuff from going hard & blocking
up the nozzles? I know they supply a cap, but it always seems to be too
small once you have trimmed the nozzle.

I read somewhere about using 4" nails?

Any tips?

"Cling film"

Also, if you "finish" a tube mid job, swap the nozzle onto the replacement
tube. That way you build up a stock of new, unused, nozzles as spares for
the times the cling film doesn't work ;-)

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:37:30 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

| Hi
|
| I always seem to end up with half used tubes of silicone, gripfill, bath
| sealant etc.
|
| Anyone have any tips on how to keep the stuff from going hard & blocking up
| the nozzles? I know they supply a cap, but it always seems to be too small
| once you have trimmed the nozzle.
|
| I read somewhere about using 4" nails?

A nail in the nozzle improves the life of these tubes.
If you are using the big tubes which go in a gun. If the nozzle is
still clogged, remove it and shove the hard stuff out of the wide end.
The stuff in the body is often still useable.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Some of my Hobbies: VDU Glasses
http://tinyurl.com/c3lh, Wordlists http://tinyurl.com/c3lj, Celtic fonts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

david lang wrote:
Anyone have any tips on how to keep the stuff from going hard & blocking up
the nozzles? I know they supply a cap, but it always seems to be too small
once you have trimmed the nozzle.

Remove the nozzle.

Put a dob of grease on the end of the cartridge.

Screw the nozzle on again, so that grease squeezes out a little
when it's tight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

david lang wrote:

I always seem to end up with half used tubes of silicone, gripfill, bath
sealant etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to keep the stuff from going hard & blocking up
the nozzles? I know they supply a cap, but it always seems to be too small
once you have trimmed the nozzle.

I read somewhere about using 4" nails?

Any tips?

Er, yes - use 4" nails!! Works a treat.

(Actually, use different size nails depending on the bore of the nozzle
you've cut)

Some of these tubes come with nozzles with a threaded cap, which are
good. When I'm using any of this stuff, and a tube runs out in the
middle of the job, I always transfer the old nozzle over to the new
tube, thereby maintaining an identical nozzle size and not wasting the
sealant otherwise left in the 'dead space' of the old nozzle; this
leaves a spare unused nozzle, which if it's a threaded type, I'll hang
on to for future use.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Brian Reay wrote:

Also, if you "finish" a tube mid job, swap the nozzle onto the
replacement tube. That way you build up a stock of new, unused,
nozzles as spares for the times the cling film doesn't work ;-)

I knew there had to be a simple solution!

Thanks

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Harrison

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:37:30 GMT, "david lang" wrote:

Hi

I always seem to end up with half used tubes of silicone, gripfill, bath
sealant etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to keep the stuff from going hard & blocking up
the nozzles? I know they supply a cap, but it always seems to be too small
once you have trimmed the nozzle.

I read somewhere about using 4" nails?

Any tips?

Dave

For silicone, I usually put a nail in the end.
Next time you often need to 'empty' the nozzle by digging it out from the back with a large screw
but then all is fine. I think that the bit in the end will always set once it's seen air, even if
sealed afterwards, but it rarely sets more than half an inch or so back from the end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

DeeBee wrote:
I usually stick a bit of duck tape over then end, but anything that
seals the end from air should work

I prefer to use masking tape - you can get it off later!

with silicone it's also worth shoving a screw in the end of the tube to
help remove the cured stuff.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk