DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Simple ceiling light (removing) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1376-re-simple-ceiling-light-removing.html)

Old Fart at Play August 24th 03 01:01 PM

Simple ceiling light (removing)

wrote:

I have a new simple/basic ceiling light fitting which I need to remove
and fit a another.
It is a plastic "cover" 4 inch across and a bit lees than an inch
deep.With the bulb holder in the centre.
There are no visible screws.I tried ,by hand,to unscrew it - but it
would not move .I also tried to lever (gently) it off the ceiling but
it did not want to move.
How does it come off ? Thanks in advance for any hints.

Is that the sort with a sleeve around the bulb-holder
which unscrews, allowing the main cover to drop off?

If not, turn off the mains and hit it with a big hammer. :-)

Roger.

LOZ34 August 24th 03 01:32 PM

Simple ceiling light (removing)

i find gentle tapping with a screwdriver handle loosens them if not turn of
at the mains and smack it with a hammer

loz

Mart.C. August 24th 03 03:33 PM

"LOZ34" wrote in message
i find gentle tapping with a screwdriver handle loosens them if not turn

of
at the mains and smack it with a hammer

loz

Or leave the means on and ask somebody you dont like to hit it with a
hammer.
--
Regards
Martin

Andrew McKay August 24th 03 06:36 PM

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:33:20 GMT, "Mart.C." wrote:

Or leave the means on and ask somebody you dont like to hit it with a
hammer.

What's all this advice about turning the mains off before applying the
hammer? Has this newsgroup suddenly become populated with the DIY
nancy boys or something? g,d,rvvf....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

StevieBoy August 24th 03 07:11 PM

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:36:13 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

What's all this advice about turning the mains off before applying the
hammer? Has this newsgroup suddenly become populated with the DIY
nancy boys or something? g,d,rvvf....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Agreed, as long as it's off at the light-switch and you're wearing
rubber wellies ;)

Steve

Frisket August 24th 03 09:39 PM

"StevieBoy" no@email wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:36:13 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

What's all this advice about turning the mains off before applying the
hammer? Has this newsgroup suddenly become populated with the DIY
nancy boys or something? g,d,rvvf....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Agreed, as long as it's off at the light-switch and you're wearing
rubber wellies ;)

Steve

Turned off AND wearing rubber wellies? - LUXURY! We used to do it under
power whilst stood in a bucket of brine.
Richard

Andy Hall August 24th 03 10:01 PM

Simple ceiling light (removing)

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:39:14 +0100, "Frisket"
wrote:

"StevieBoy" no@email wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:36:13 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

What's all this advice about turning the mains off before applying the
hammer? Has this newsgroup suddenly become populated with the DIY
nancy boys or something? g,d,rvvf....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Agreed, as long as it's off at the light-switch and you're wearing
rubber wellies ;)

Steve

Turned off AND wearing rubber wellies? - LUXURY! We used to do it under
power whilst stood in a bucket of brine.
Richard

Was this to demonstrate that you were worth your salt?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andrew McKay August 24th 03 10:58 PM

wrote:

Turned off AND wearing rubber wellies? - LUXURY! We used to do it under
power whilst stood in a bucket of brine.

Hmm, more likely to be under power and standing in a pool of urine. ;)

The Natural Philosopher August 25th 03 11:42 AM

Huge wrote:

writes:

I have a new simple/basic ceiling light fitting which I need to remove
and fit a another.
It is a plastic "cover" 4 inch across and a bit lees than an inch
deep.With the bulb holder in the centre.
There are no visible screws.I tried ,by hand,to unscrew it - but it
would not move .I also tried to lever (gently) it off the ceiling but
it did not want to move.
How does it come off ? Thanks in advance for any hints.

It probably does unscrew. IME, these plastic fittings seize together
over the years.

Yes. They are chep. Smash it and get a new one.
Turn power off first :-)

derek August 25th 03 04:31 PM

Simple ceiling light (removing)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:42:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

It probably does unscrew. IME, these plastic fittings seize together
over the years.

Yes. They are chep. Smash it and get a new one.
Turn power off first :-)

Be aware of possibility ofslightly different diameters and screwholes
in different places. resulting in bits of undecorated ceiling to be
made good.

DG