DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/137580-best-matt-emulsion-needs-one-coat-roller.html)

[email protected] December 29th 05 02:19 PM

Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller

Hi,

I am going to paint most of a 2 bedroom bungalow's interior walls and
ceilings in matt emulsion probably going to do most of it brilliant
white (might do sitting room with cream walls). Please could you
recommend a readily available matt emulsion that will need only one
coat (the walls don't have strong colours on most of them are faded
white). The ceilings are quite high I was thinking of getting a large
roller on an expanding pole is there a better brand of roller or type
to do this kind of thing to give a better finish and get the job done
quicker?

Thankyou.

Stuart Noble December 29th 05 02:37 PM

wrote:
Hi,

I am going to paint most of a 2 bedroom bungalow's interior walls and
ceilings in matt emulsion probably going to do most of it brilliant
white (might do sitting room with cream walls). Please could you
recommend a readily available matt emulsion that will need only one
coat (the walls don't have strong colours on most of them are faded
white). The ceilings are quite high I was thinking of getting a large
roller on an expanding pole is there a better brand of roller or type
to do this kind of thing to give a better finish and get the job done
quicker?

Thankyou.

I prefer Crown to Dulux but neither will give you a good finish with one
coat, especially with a roller.

Frank Erskine December 29th 05 02:54 PM

Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:37:09 GMT, Stuart Noble

Hi,

I am going to paint most of a 2 bedroom bungalow's interior walls and
ceilings in matt emulsion probably going to do most of it brilliant
white (might do sitting room with cream walls). Please could you
recommend a readily available matt emulsion that will need only one
coat (the walls don't have strong colours on most of them are faded
white). The ceilings are quite high I was thinking of getting a large
roller on an expanding pole is there a better brand of roller or type
to do this kind of thing to give a better finish and get the job done
quicker?

Thankyou.

I prefer Crown to Dulux but neither will give you a good finish with one
coat,

Now I prefer Dulux to Crown, but Chacun a son Gout :-)

I've never tried paint pads, but many folks swear by them.

--
Frank Erskine

Christian McArdle December 29th 05 02:58 PM

Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller

I am going to paint most of a 2 bedroom bungalow's interior walls and
ceilings in matt emulsion probably going to do most of it brilliant
white (might do sitting room with cream walls). Please could you
recommend a readily available matt emulsion that will need only one
coat.

Dulux Trade High Cover Matt.

http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/w...sheets/437.pdf

Obtainable from Dulux Decorator Centres.

Christian.

Ian White December 29th 05 03:00 PM

Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller

Hi,

I am going to paint most of a 2 bedroom bungalow's interior walls and
ceilings in matt emulsion probably going to do most of it brilliant
white (might do sitting room with cream walls). Please could you
recommend a readily available matt emulsion that will need only one
coat (the walls don't have strong colours on most of them are faded
white). The ceilings are quite high I was thinking of getting a large
roller on an expanding pole is there a better brand of roller or type
to do this kind of thing to give a better finish and get the job done
quicker?

Johnstone's Ultramatt will almost cover new pink plaster in a single
coat, so it may well do your job.

--
Ian White

EricP December 29th 05 03:18 PM

http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/site...t_majestic.asp

tom patton December 29th 05 03:59 PM

Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller

Dulux Trade High Cover Matt.-I give this stuff 10 out of 10 for depth of
cover.
Just applied by 9 inch roller 10 litres of this stuff straight on to new
plastered plaster board walls one wall was original plaster on brick which I
drew on with black fibre tip 3 coats of vinyl matt and you could still see
the marks-one coat of trade matt--gone--.
The only potential drawback is if you apply it thick you get a rough texture
effect-and-if you go over areas to increase thickness when wet the whole lot
comes off--
available in B&Q

The3rd Earl Of Derby December 29th 05 04:37 PM

Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller

wrote:

You're crossposting you pillock.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Christian McArdle December 29th 05 05:14 PM

Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller

You're crossposting you pillock.

There's nothing wrong with crossposting, provided it is of on-topic subjects
to appropriate groups. Admittedly, uk.comp.homebuilt isn't particular
appropriate, but perhaps the OP thought that it was about homebuilding,
rather than computer assembly...

Christian.

[email protected] December 29th 05 07:10 PM

wrote:

Hi,

I am going to paint most of a 2 bedroom bungalow's interior walls and
ceilings in matt emulsion probably going to do most of it brilliant
white (might do sitting room with cream walls). Please could you
recommend a readily available matt emulsion that will need only one
coat (the walls don't have strong colours on most of them are faded
white). The ceilings are quite high I was thinking of getting a large
roller on an expanding pole is there a better brand of roller or type
to do this kind of thing to give a better finish and get the job done
quicker?

Thankyou.

I doubt you'll get an acceptable result with 1 coat. If youre not
willing to do it twice you can always wash the wall instead, they
usually come up like new again, then just fill in the missing bits with
a lil matchpot and artists brush. It works well. There are just 2
absolute musts:

1. infill of dints must never overlap the hole edge, even a bit. Less
is more.
2. Never use a brigher whiter shade than the wall, ensure its identical
or slightly duller.

As long as you follow those 2 points unfailingly, its a quick easy way
to make old walls good again.

NT

[email protected] December 31st 05 11:36 AM

Best Matt emulsion that needs one coat + Roller

Thanks for all your useful replies. Sorry about the cross posting. I
think I will be doing some painting so will be buying some of the
products you mentioned but I am intregued about the washing would you
use warm water with a little washing up liquid and a sponge or just
warm water on the sponge?

[email protected] December 31st 05 05:31 PM

wrote:

Thanks for all your useful replies. Sorry about the cross posting. I
think I will be doing some painting so will be buying some of the
products you mentioned but I am intregued about the washing would you
use warm water with a little washing up liquid and a sponge or just
warm water on the sponge?

Warm water with a little washing up liquid does well, and a cloth
(sponge is too soft). I dont usually do it that way, but have at times,
and its very fast, no mess, no cost, and a right old mess can be made
to look respectable again easily this way. Scuff marks can often be
removed with those melamine sponges, probably quicker than overpainting
them. The only times I've found it wont work is if the wall is nicotine
stained.

I tend to use this approach when time is critical, and there's no time
to do a full repaint.

NT

Graham W December 31st 05 06:20 PM

wrote:
Thanks for all your useful replies. Sorry about the cross posting. I
think I will be doing some painting so will be buying some of the
products you mentioned but I am intregued about the washing would you
use warm water with a little washing up liquid and a sponge or just
warm water on the sponge?

What you need is 'Sugar Soap' by Mangers. It is a can of suger like
crystals which you dissolve as directed. It is very effective at quickly
getting the grime off the old surface. Avoid products that can (and will)
foam up as you work on the suface as indeed washing up liquid does.

The can boasts that it is the "professional decorator's secret".

HTH
--
Graham W
http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial