Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone help with water feature problems

Installed a water feature for the missus. It's essentially a 2 foot
high gargoyle that spits water out of its mouth into a sunken pool (
covered with wire grid and stones). The water is then recirculated via
the pump, up into the base of the gargoyle then back out of its mouth.

We saw the same set up in a local stockist and the gargoyle was sitting
on the ground, throwing water out about 14 inches from its mouth. We
wanted it to sit higher so the stockist ( who casts all their own
products from concrete ) threw together a large upturned planter made
of concrete and sat the gargoyle on it. Turns out he had never done
this before i,e sat it up higher so it was a bit of trial and error for
him

Connected it all up. Put the 12v pump into the plastic pond and turned
on. Water came out about 3 inches then started to drop. It barely
cleared the planter base and just made it into the pool. Given the
plastic bucket is about 14 inches by 30 inches and the gargoyle sits at
the end of it, I was looking for a throw of around 15 to 20 inches to
hit the middle of the pool.

So back to the shop and he gave us a 750 litre and hour pump..We
originally had been given a 650 lph. No difference.

Upto a 1500 lph.. No noticeable difference

Now onto a 2000 lph and it still just about makes the pond but not by
much!! The shop owner is stumped...The plastic pipe going from the
pump to the gargoyle is about 12 mm diameter. The connector coming out
of the pump is about 20 mm diameter so I have used lots of gaffer tape
to make up the difference. No leaks there.

The gargoyle has what looks like thinwall copper pipe inside the cement
casting - placed in there before pouring. It looks like old microbore
copper pipe for central heating.

If I take the pipe directly from the pump and hold it beside the
gargoyles exit hole ( 1.2 metres above the pump ) it lands just about
where I wanted it. Stick it into the gargoyles base and it falls short
by about 10 to 12 inches??

Given this pump is meant to be shifting about 2000 lph then is it to do
with the diameter of the plastic piping and diameter of tube inside the
gargoyle that is creating the restriction?? Any ideas why I have
noticed almost zero difference between a 650 lph pump and a 2000 lph
pump??

I have worked around this temporarily by squeezing the copper tube at
the exit point with pliers and this has the effect of firing a thinner
stream of water into the correct part of the pond but it just isn't
perfect.

Any clues or tips?

Thanks

Ged

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:
[...]

Yes the Microbore piping in the Gargoyle. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Dive

I feel your gargoyle is in need of an enema [orally administered].
try one of those 'net curtain wire' things and give it a good
'Barrymore-ing' ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

What you need is not more flow but more pressure. Probably the output
pressures of all your pumps are close to the same.

The usual type of water pump actually loses pressure when flow is
reduced, so the bigger pump will be more compromised re outlet
pressure.

The feature simply needs more pressure to get through its small piping
with adequate flow.

One way to achieve this is to put 2 pumps in series, this will double
the pressure. Work out what flow rate you need and no need to exceed
this on pump rating. To do this, get the thing flowing as you want by
any means, and use a bucket to measure the output per minute, and
calculate accordingly.

A pump flow spec on its own means little, as it only applies when there
is nothing on the pump outlet, no back pressure. This will not usually
be reached IRL. What is more useful is a flow vs head graph.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

submitted this idea :

Connected it all up. Put the 12v pump into the plastic pond and turned
on. Water came out about 3 inches then started to drop. It barely
cleared the planter base and just made it into the pool. Given the
plastic bucket is about 14 inches by 30 inches and the gargoyle sits at
the end of it, I was looking for a throw of around 15 to 20 inches to
hit the middle of the pool.

The higher you try to pump, the lower the flow rate.

So back to the shop and he gave us a 750 litre and hour pump..We
originally had been given a 650 lph. No difference.

Upto a 1500 lph.. No noticeable difference

Are you also uprating the 12v tranformer to match the larger pump?

Now onto a 2000 lph and it still just about makes the pond but not by
much!! The shop owner is stumped...The plastic pipe going from the
pump to the gargoyle is about 12 mm diameter. The connector coming out
of the pump is about 20 mm diameter so I have used lots of gaffer tape
to make up the difference. No leaks there.

If all the pumps provide similar pressure, then they will produce the
similar output if the pipe sizes are similar. You would only see
improvements if the first pumps output (lph) was not adequate.

The gargoyle has what looks like thinwall copper pipe inside the cement
casting - placed in there before pouring. It looks like old microbore
copper pipe for central heating.

If I take the pipe directly from the pump and hold it beside the
gargoyles exit hole ( 1.2 metres above the pump ) it lands just about
where I wanted it. Stick it into the gargoyles base and it falls short
by about 10 to 12 inches??

Check the copper pipe is clear of obstructions, any restriction in the
pipe will reduce the 'throw'. Also make sure the narrowest part of the
system is at the output (the mouth), where it needs to build up
pressure to produce the speed of flow to 'throw' the water.

Given this pump is meant to be shifting about 2000 lph then is it to do
with the diameter of the plastic piping and diameter of tube inside the
gargoyle that is creating the restriction?? Any ideas why I have
noticed almost zero difference between a 650 lph pump and a 2000 lph
pump??

I have worked around this temporarily by squeezing the copper tube at
the exit point with pliers and this has the effect of firing a thinner
stream of water into the correct part of the pond but it just isn't
perfect.

Any clues or tips?

Thanks

Ged

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

he needs to widen the pipe in the gargoyle somehow.

It would help if its possible, I just assumed it would be impossible.
But even then it may not make much difference, all depends what the
main obstacle is, the narrow pipe or the extra height. Since the
gargoyle is most likely designed to run on standard pond pumps, and
does happily at its intended height, I would say the problem is mostly
the extra height and the lack of thereby needed extra pressure.

NT