DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stud Finder (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/137257-stud-finder.html)

david lang December 27th 05 01:06 PM

Stud Finder

Hi

I'm looking for a stud/cable/pipe detector.

Any recommendations based on experience?

Many seem to be designed for drywall use and the range is only about 3/4".
How far does a mains cable have to be buried under plaster?

Main use is to avoid cables & pipes, studs would be secondary.

Dave

Andy Wade December 27th 05 01:14 PM

Stud Finder

david lang wrote:

I'm looking for a stud/cable/pipe detector.
Any recommendations based on experience?

Zircon Triscanner Pro
http://www.zircon.com/SellPages/Scan...riScanPro.html

I bought one on the strength of previous recommendations here and was
not disappointed.

How far does a mains cable have to be buried under plaster?

No distance at all if it's run in the prescribed zones, or in earthed
metal conduit, otherwise 50 mm.

--
Andy

Andy Hall December 27th 05 01:52 PM

Stud Finder

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:06:49 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Hi

I'm looking for a stud/cable/pipe detector.

Any recommendations based on experience?

Many seem to be designed for drywall use and the range is only about 3/4".
How far does a mains cable have to be buried under plaster?

Main use is to avoid cables & pipes, studs would be secondary.

Dave

Have a look at the Zircon range.

The Triscanner-Pro is a good product using rows of LEDs forming an
arrow to indicate the object. I've had one of these for a number of
years.

The MultiScanner i700 uses an LCD display as well and incorporates a
light marker and a little pencil tip as well to mark the position if
you want it. I bought one of these more recently and it is even more
sensitive and accurate.

--

..andy

The3rd Earl Of Derby December 27th 05 02:23 PM

Stud Finder

david lang wrote:
Hi

I'm looking for a stud/cable/pipe detector.

Any recommendations based on experience?

Many seem to be designed for drywall use and the range is only about
3/4". How far does a mains cable have to be buried under plaster?

Main use is to avoid cables & pipes, studs would be secondary.

Dave

Joan Collins. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite